v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Accuracy

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Tyras
android_version: 2.2

Accuracy

Post by Tyras »

So, my plan to use the Defense skill to increase my BC enough for Bark Skin has failed. It seemed the most logically way to make a powerhouse that could take a hit. Is there any way we could get it noted in the skill (Defense) that it does NOT add the BC to base skills?

But that's not the point of this post.

I found a formula posted on the wiki for calculating hit chance. Working the formula backwards, it seems that having 114 more AC than an opponents BC guarantees a hit. Is this true? And what is the minimum hit chance?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is can someone explain the CURRENT formula to me? Feel free to imagine I failed Algebra in College.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Accuracy

Post by rijackson741 »

Tyras wrote:So, my plan to use the Defense skill to increase my BC enough for Bark Skin has failed. It seemed the most logically way to make a powerhouse that could take a hit. Is there any way we could get it noted in the skill (Defense) that it does NOT add the BC to base skills?
I'm not sure what you mean. There is no "Defense" skill. Do you mean "Dodge", which certainly does add to your BC.
Tyras wrote: I found a formula posted on the wiki for calculating hit chance. Working the formula backwards, it seems that having 114 more AC than an opponents BC guarantees a hit. Is this true? And what is the minimum hit chance?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is can someone explain the CURRENT formula to me? Feel free to imagine I failed Algebra in College.
This is the formula used to calculate the chance of a hit:
Chance to hit formula.png
where C is the attackers AC minus the defenders BC. It works the same whether you are being attacked by a monster, or you are attacking a monster. This is what it looks like (the blue line) on a graph:
Chance to hit graph.png
So you are never guaranteed a hit (and neither is a monster). If AC-BC is 150 the chance of a hit is about 90%. If AC-BC is -50 the chance of a hit is about 10%. Note that although the wiki says that if C is low then F is 50, this is not correct. The only lower limit to F is 0, and that is not achievable in practice (AC-BC would have to be -infinity).

The red curve is the derivative of the blue curve. If you failed college algebra I expect you didn't fair so well in calculus either ;) . It doesn't matter though. In English, the red curve is the rate at which the chance to hit changes when AC-BC changes. So what it tells you is that when AC-BC is 50, adding to your AC (or your BC, if you are defending) gives you the maximum benefit. If AC-BC is 150 when attacking, then adding to AC does not get you much benefit. If AC-BC is -50 when defending (i.e. if your BC is 50 higher than the attackers AC) then adding to you BC does not get you much benefit. For reference, the highest AC of any monster is a little over 200%, and the highest BC is, with one exception, a little over 170%. There aren't many of those though!

Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1