v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Question on Flagstone and reputation

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Denzera
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Question on Flagstone and reputation

Post by Denzera »

Hi guys, great game, big fan. I've been mostly avoiding reading stuff and just trying to discover the game for myself, but there's two things bugging me enough that I thought I'd ask.

1) I can't complete the Ancient Secrets quest. Now, I know what you're thinking - yes, I saw the demon, brought the necklace to the guard, went back down there and wreaked some havoc. Killed the dragon, talked to the prisoner, took Flagstone's Pride and am now a big fan of it. And when I go back to the guard again, the only option I have is "no progress to report". In one sense, I don't care, I've got the treasure. In another, it annoys me that I can't complete something and get it off my quest list. Am I missing something?

2) One dynamic in the game that I can't figure out is whether doing good or evil makes any difference whatsoever. There are times where I can clearly favor Feygard or the followers of the Shadow, but I don't know if it matters to gameplay (i.e. options down the road). Likewise other situations fraught with ethics, like killing the sheep or letting the well-poisoner slide. If anyone's played Baldur's Gate, reputation really mattered there, if you chose certain things some parts of the game were opened or closed to you, and you had to decide whether to play the game more in the name of good or evil. Is there any such dynamic here in AT? Or are the only considerations whether you're maximizing your gold and XP? Feel free to toss me spoilers, I'm a big boy, but very curious whether I should be thinking ethically or just as a grinder.

Thanks everyone!
Firefly84
android_version: 8.0

Re: Question on Flagstone and reputation

Post by Firefly84 »

Wellcome to the forum
To your questions:
1) have you spoken to the prisoner in the last cave? He's the last report in my questbook.
2) There will be more consequences in future updates (I think), but even now there are some choices giving you free beds or similar.
Firefly
Lvl: 114, PV: 497, FQ: 63
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, HoF: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 4, SRoV: 6, VSH: 3, WMC: 1, GoW: 1, BD: 1
DP: 0, X: 0, M: 1, BoGt: 1, SotA: 0, RofLS: 1
HP: 505, AC: 262, AD: 89-105, AP: 4 each, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 156, DR: 4
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

1). Same question as Firefly. Have you spoken to Narael? If you have, it should be in your quest log.
2). At the moment, the consequences are non-existent to minor. The game is not finished though, and that will change. Especially, when Nor City and Feygard are included, your choices may (or will!) come back to bite you. None of your choices are necessarily good or bad (from a game play point of view, not a moral one), but they will affect what you can do later in the game. That's the intention, anyway, but the future has yet to be written :D
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Denzera

Post by Denzera »

Thanks guys - yeah, I'd saved after the dragon, talked to Narael, tried to head out the dungeon, died, Loaded the game, and then just walked straight out again. Oops. Had to fight my way back down there and talk to him, but at least the bother came with 2100 XP.

While I'm at it, can I ask about the formulas for chance-to-hit / chance to be hit? When I look at enemies' profiles, they have "effective critical" rates, but I assume there's an interplay between a monster's Attack and my Block, and vice-versa, in calculating the rate at which our hits land. I don't see any game-mechanics formulas posted on Faila's page or anything obvious here.

And the reason I ask is to try and get a sense of the tradeoff cost between Attack Chance and Block Chance, because I might decide it's rational to always opt for +5% Attack on every levelup and never get +3% Block, for example, or that you hit diminishing returns at some point with Attack and should focus on Block when you can, etc etc. I imagine this has been debated ad-nauseam around here, but having the formulas would be a nice shortcut for me.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

The attached spreadsheet should answer your questions about game mechanics. I've posted it before, several times, but there's no easy way to find those posts. Maybe I should create a post on game mechanics and have it stickied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Denzera

Post by Denzera »

Looks great, thanks so much!