v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Poll: Save-Cheating, and discussion.

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What do you think about save-cheating?

I love it! Can't live without it.
23%
I use it now and then.
36%
I use it only in extreme situations, like boss battles.
21%
I try to never use it.
8%
I never use it.
5%
I feel a change needs to be done to discourage it.
8%

Total votes: 39

DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Poll: Save-Cheating, and discussion.

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Thank you for your vote. :D

If you feel like explaining your vote or just want to talk about save-cheating, feel free to post your opinions or ideas.

Personally, I'm a bit mixed on the subject. Being a bit rogue-like myself, since it's there I use it. But, and it's a big but, I would love it if something were done to change saving so that save-cheating wasn't possible. It would make my game more rich and exciting, I know, but the temptation to use that dratted save cheat is too great. Is there some way to limit saves to anywhere you can sleep? Maybe set heal points around the world where you can also save? Hey! Maybe we could use all the empty cabins, scattered about, for a change. ;)
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Poll: Save-Cheating, and discussion.

Post by Sarumar »

Nice topic,

Im old school player ;) with my main build I never use it. And IMO in this poll should be another option to schoose "I use it only when testing new alpha versions, etc."
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Interested to see the results of this little poll, but you forgot to actually explain what you mean by "save cheating".

I don't think limiting saves to only where you can sleep would be fair, we want people to be able to play for as little or long as they want and only being able to save where you can sleep makes it hard for those people that may only play a few minutes here or there.

That being said, not being able to save in battle is something I have thought about opening a discussion about.

sdevaney
Piggy the Slayer

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

No save in battle. You enter into a battle you should not be able to save until the fight is over. If that fight ends in your defeat then you have your previous save to fall back on or you take it on the chin and suffer the xp loss. IMHO.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
fiernaq

Post by fiernaq »

I've considered this as well... I tend to save more often the closer I get to leveling up (more xp thus greater potential loss). If it weren't for the fact that bad RNG can result in you getting one shot from a monster that ordinarily you have no trouble with I would agree that saving should be severely limited. As combat is right now though I agree that saving is still necessary in order to prevent large losses of XP.

I've met monsters where I hit with all 6 of my hits and then the very next fight I miss all 6 times in a row and all it takes is one or two hits on me and I'm toast. I would agree that the least you can do is prevent saving during a fight (although I don't recall ever having done that). Usually, when I'm pretty close to a level up I'll save at the entrance to each new room so that in case I die I can just go back and re-clear that one room.

One side note is that if you drastically limit saving you'll probably start seeing more people take that skill which lowers xp lost from dying :P
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
pelligrini

Post by pelligrini »

I don't consider it cheating. Saving is built into the game. It's a tool that can be used often or not. It should be left up to the player as to how they want to use it. I would not like it to change.

Saving during combat isn't allowed in the alpha (haven't been able to install the beta). I can't remember if it was allowed before, but I don't think it was.

I played a few of the old Dragon Warrior games on my phone with an emulator recently. I was so happy to be able to save a game while I was away from a castle or save place and restart from where I left off later.
Lvl: 95, XP: 15472157, Gold: 741302, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 1 , RoL 1, ChaR 4, GoLF 1, ShaF 1, SRoV 2, VSH 1
HP: 136, AC: 278%, AD: 42-46, AP: 3, CS: 76 CM: 5.25, CC:33%, BC: 130%, DR: 1, UPD: 2012/7/18
insink71
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by insink71 »

Another possible poll selection:

Never heard of it.

Probably will use it now but like previous poster.. map to map or room to room.
I had found fleeing battle, potioning up, then returning saves me AP, but never considered room to room saving. Wise... Very wise.

Rob
Iwa
Wild Boar Poacher
Lvl: 41 | XP: 1241954 | Gold: 1266 | Date:06/18/2012
HP: 98 | AC: 198% | AD: 27-37 | AP: 3
CC: 0% | CM: 0.0 | BC: 107% | DR: 1

RoLS: 0 | ElyR: 0 | RoL: 0 | ChaR: 0 | GoLF: 1 | ShaF: 0 | SRoV: 0 | VSH: 0
Bard
android_version: 4.0

Post by Bard »

Since I am in Remgard I save often, but I would never save during a battle.
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

I'm afraid that if I change my post to include an explanation, it would erase the pool's current results. That goes as well for adding new poll answer. All of your suggestions are much appreciated though. :)

Since I made the poll, I've been only saving per map section and just before a big fight, which makes things much more fun in my opinion. ;)

*Made the poll during pauses in vomiting, lol. I'd say I'm definitely a member of the ATA now, lol. I'm sick as a rabid dog. :P
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

if it's there, im using it.

"fixing it" would be desirable to my old-school roots...
but on the other hand: it's a cell phone game.

the trouble is execution.

~ ~ ~

can we come up with a way to make this "feel" like it's not cheating?
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]