v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

farming items

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
LSF
android_version: 4.0

farming items

Post by LSF »

Hi all,
first I want to say how much I like this game, it is the best free RPG I have played on my phone and I hope its future updates will bring even more joy to his fans.

I post a topic like this in the forums of most RPGs I play. It is not about Andor's Trail, rather about RPGs in general. Or about the RPG player at all.
Farming\gringing of items is the soul of each game, often even more important than the skill builds. And different games offer different mechanics for it. Here are some:

1. Each creep have a chance to drop random item on death in specific "value range". Stronger creep and better "magic find skill" result higher "value range". This is probably the most common mechanic in hack and slash RPG.
2. Each creep have a chance to drop specific item. This is "our" mechanic.
3. Each creep drops a "piece of an item". For example, Shadow gargoyle trainer drops "slime" at 100%. Better "magic find skill" result more pieces to be dropped after each kill, +150 MF means you get 2 slimes and have a 50% chance to get third. (or even better, each kill gives you 100 pieces, with +1%MF you get exactly 101) When you collect 10 000 "slimes" you get your Ring of lesser Shadow (quest reward or trade with NPC or forge it yourself with the farmed ingredients)
4. There several different pieces (ingredients, limes, gems). Each item require a combination of them to be collected.

My favorite farming mechanic is 3. No posts in the forum like "I killed 11000 creeps and no RoLS, this so not fear :( ". And the players can plan their long term strategy more confident. The less luck the better. Mechanic 4 is even more fun, but it is hard to balance and often leads to overcomplicated games.

So, how should you farm our items in your perfect RPG game?
LSF
Level 31 AC 241 AD 20-26 CR 53/3 AC 234; HP 62 BC 59 DR 4
DotSP, Fragstone Pride, polished ring of backstabbing x2, JoF; Serpent's hauberk, ordinary leather cap, chainmail mittents, Unzel`s DB
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: farming items

Post by twirlimp »

Actually I think there are already quests in that do this (no. 3).

You give the guy some items ("pieces") and he gives you a reward.

Even then first quest you get, to kill rats and get their rat tails, can be changed to give you a "rat tail whip" instead of just gold.

Btw, how would a whip work anyway? Doesn't it have more range than a melee weapon?
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

twirlimp wrote: Btw, how would a whip work anyway? Doesn't it have more range than a melee weapon?
Someone's been thinking a little bit too much about range lately, isn't it ? :D
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I thought about creating a whip. A whip doesn't necessarily do so much damage, but it wraps around your foe and hinders them:

Whip of binding. On hit, increase target move and attack costs (e.g. 3AP each, 20% chance, 1 round). Low attack cost, moderate AC, very low AD. It would need a new actor condition and weapon category, and I couldn't find a suitable existing icon. Details would need to be figured out, but it would be different to anything we have now. Could be an interesting weapon to dual wield with something else that does do some damage.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Rat tail whip... lol.

I like no. 3 the best and I have played games that overly complicate garnering equipment/items and/or leveling up characters and it can get mundane in "taskism" where tasks are thought to be what makes a game fun or rewarding.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:
twirlimp wrote: Btw, how would a whip work anyway? Doesn't it have more range than a melee weapon?
Someone's been thinking a little bit too much about range lately, isn't it ? :D
And monster AI, and combat listeners. XD
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:I thought about creating a whip. A whip doesn't necessarily do so much damage, but it wraps around your foe and hinders them:

Whip of binding. On hit, increase target move and attack costs (e.g. 3AP each, 20% chance, 1 round). Low attack cost, moderate AC, very low AD. It would need a new actor condition and weapon category, and I couldn't find a suitable existing icon. Details would need to be figured out, but it would be different to anything we have now. Could be an interesting weapon to dual wield with something else that does do some damage.
This seems like a good idea.

For the actor condition, how about "Trapped"? It sounds generic and would come useful in many other places (say, throwable nets).

But instead of increasing AC & MC of enemy, how about decreasing max AP?
I'm not sure how that would work out, but it would have a shorter item description :P

As for dual-wielding, this can work well with a crossbow like the one I added.
A crossbow has an extra range of only +2 and so the player would really need something to keep the enemy away.
ideas plox
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

Large monsters could have a high resistance, or immunity to these conditions since it would be hard to wrap a giant with a whip. That, or they could have a shorter duration from such effects.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:Large monsters could have a high resistance, or immunity to these conditions since it would be hard to wrap a giant with a whip. That, or they could have a shorter duration from such effects.
Yeah this makes sense although it may need a bit of coding.
ideas plox