v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Taunt skill does not always work?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Taunt skill does not always work?

Post by rijackson741 »

Perhaps a compromise would be to remove the numbers when it can be figured out from the stats (e.g. Weapon Accuracy), but leave them in when that's not possible (e.g Magic Finder, the higher level skills). Some could be rewritten without the numbers, and without losing anything. An example is Evasion. It says it reduces the chance of a failed flee and the chance that an adjacent monster will attack by 5%, but without knowing the base chances of fleeing or being attacked by an adjacent monster those numbers don't mean anything. In fact, the statement that it reduces the chance that an adjacent monster will attack by 5% is misleading anyway. If the monster tries to move onto your square during it's round, it will always attack. Another example is Failure Mastery. It states that 5 levels will remove all experience loss, so saying it's 20% per level is redundant information.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

I think it's a not a good idea to remove numbers where they can just save the game and check how much of an effect it has on their stats. It waste time in the decision making process and gives no benefit to the fun of the game. Also, these stat changes are typically just given on items, so why not from the skills? I'd prefer to keep a more consistent effect throughout the game.

I do think that skills that have a small chance to proc could just say something to the effect of "Gives a small chance to ..." instead of giving the number. I think this would be good in the case of concussion or evasion. Skills such as fracture could say "Gives a moderate chance to..." For skills such as taunt could say something such as "Gives a large chance to..." This would have some of the same effect as getting item drops where you can eventually guess what the probability is but does not add unnecessary confusion or frustration.

I think the game could do without the effective crit since you can get the idea that the higher your crit score the more often you will get critical hits.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Agreed

ECC is not really worth showing, and I plan to eradicate the % symbol next to AC and BC.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Nick

Post by Nick »

Zukero wrote: I plan to eradicate the % symbol next to AC and BC.
I agree since the % is misleading.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I have another suggestion.
I think the Unarmored fighting skill could use an upgrade. As it stands the skill requires the character to wear cloth only and gives 10 bc per point in it with a max number of points at 3 giving 30 bc.

The skill similar is Dodge which gives 9 bc per point, has no level cap, has no armor restrictions of any kind, and is a prerequisite for another skill.

All my suggestions assume Unarmored fighting will keep the armor restriction.
Suggestion 1) Unarmored fighting: +8 bc +1 damage reduction, or
Suggestion 2) Unarmored fighting: +15 bc, or
Suggestion 3) Unarmored fighting: count 3 points in Unarmored fighting as filling the 4 points in Dodge prerequisite for Taunt.

Any thoughts on this?
Duke
VIP

Post by Duke »

It's always great to see new ideas or suggestions for improving the game. Thanks for joining the forum Nick and taking part.
I'm not an expert in the unarmored area, not my interest really, but I do think that perhaps you have some good suggestions here. Keep the ideas coming.
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1