v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Do You Even Rank?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Do You Even Rank?

Post by ace »

what if rank is calculated just by the numbers of monsters killed??
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

ace wrote:what if rank is calculated just by the numbers of monsters killed??
Well, that would be a decent indicator of efficiency: # of monsters/level. But, there is a problem with its volatility on an individual basis. For example, my character, Voomster, has killed way more dogs by level 15 than others so that he can buy Hardened Shirt, Sharp Steel Dagger, and 2 Polished Rings of Backstabbing (for when he gets Flagstone's Pride). Second, it is not accurate to the overall strength of the character (some combination of all stats).

The point of the rank, for me at least, is to show how well your character would do versus mine if there was ever the opportunity of a PvP match where stats were algorithmically and mystically adjusted as if both opponents were the same level, let's 30. This algorithm/formula is what I need to figure. What this theoretically means is efficiency of build. "Could you have beat me in a PvP match if you pick a slightly different build or maybe an entirely different build by the specific level you have achieved. And like previously mentioned, BUILD fluidity and flexibility is the beauty of AT. As much as AT is a story, a quest, an adventure, it has a lot to do with character development, and as such, PvP!
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Maybe the PvP level should be 50 because by then a player would have been given to chance to get any piece of equipment, in the current version... And, therefore, give the chance for any build. What's interesting though is that after a certain level, stats will begin to matter less than technique of combat. What is technique of combat? Well, that could be on-screen combos with multiple buttons (not just attack and flee), etc. In other words, player skill will take over just stats, more like Runescape or Allods. Anyway, none of that is implemented. Other RPG's have a number called Might, that measure your character's overall capabilities.
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Thank you, I will take it.
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

As an update, I attempted balancing individual stats by "unweighting" the currently weighted level progression as it affects the particular stat. For this I used Excel and have tried to be as accurate as possible, given the limited character database we have. The bigger the database, the more accurate the unweighting. I have completed two stats: HP and AC. It took me a while for each stat and so I have picked up an Excel VBA & Macro guide book that will allow me to streamline this process (few clicks to apply same process over the similar data sets).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Voom on Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

I cant even open up my own attachments. It shows me this:

No route found for "GET /download/file.php"

What do I do?
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

What are the "a" and "b" curves?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

rijackson741 wrote:What are the "a" and "b" curves?
The amount the stat is adjusted in the form of "stat/level". It is then converted into "adj. stat".

Formula:
[(stat / level) - a] * level = adj. stat

a, b, etc., were calculated with a combination of polynomial equations I developed using excel based on the average stat per level. Like I said, the more character examples will make it that much more accurate.
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

rijackson741 wrote:Here's that spreadsheet with the high score list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxaa1kwmlpq1k ... .xlsx?dl=0
The first tab has the raw list. The highlighted cells indicate a problem for one reason or another. The second tab has a pruned list with the problems removed, along with any entries for which there are no stats (i.e. nothing in the column HP, or the ones to the right of that).

It's not a great database, but it's the only one there is.
I've completed the calculations, but I have decided that it's not going to work this way. The database is too small, way too small to be accurate. This is especially true for CD and DR stats.

:idea: I was playing around with ATCS and saw that each stat of a piece of equipment contributed to the market price of the particular item. It seems to be already formulated as an exponential increase to price as stat goes up. And then I thought :idea: :idea: couldn't we use these predetermined and already implemented formulas to achieve one number to rule them all? This will provide a basis for comparison between all levels!
Voom
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

I might have it figured out. Like I said, there already are formulas for the worth of each stat so here are the results.
Stat v. Price.PNG
What do you guys think? Have already been implemented in the game so maybe they qualify for ranking.

(Edit: numbers are derived from the ATCS item creation wizard.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Voom