Peg and the Skullcrusher

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
peg
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Peg and the Skullcrusher

Post by peg »

I just spent the last few weeks in the throes of addiction to Andor's Trail after accidentally discovering it on F-Droid.

I'm a huge fan of open source, made my living from it for the last 25+ years, and have contributed hundreds of thousands of lines of code to other projects in the past (most recently to the LinuxCNC and Machinekit open source projects). Andor's Trail is an unbelievably excellent example of an open source project! Wow, I can't believe how rich, complex and extensive it is, and how polished. I wish the open source world had more projects like this!

Anyway, I'm hoping to kick the AT addiction now that Peg has completed most of the quests. Peg's build wasn't really planned out, since he's my first character. Here's the story of Peg and the Skullcrusher from level 1 to 45, hidden in case of spoilers.
Peg started out like many other adventurers. He and his homunculus (me) were new to the world, and start with much more than a quest from his father to buy some bread next time he was in town. Like many other adventurers, he had found teachings in the lore of the adventurer called "Link", and learned a lot about the life of slaying puppies and the comfort and fineries the life could provide. However, at around level 15, once again Peg found himself with no guidance and no specialization, but at least knowing he must find his brother Andor, and knowing he would rebel against Feygard.

Peg's call to duty came when he avenged the woodcutter Hadracor against some overgrown wasps who hurt his men. Hadracor sold Peg a giant hammer called the Skullcrusher, and Peg knew he had found his calling. Able to inflict the massive 0-26 damage, multiplied by 3.0 for criticals, Peg allocated almost everything to improving AC and BC on leveling up. Peg loved his giant hammer. He took it everywhere, even to bed, and he found that hammer was the right tool for any job, and used it to right wrongs and vice-versa all across the map.

A devastating offense needs a good defense, and the "sturdy leather cuirass" complemented the Skullcrusher well for a long time, boosting the destruction with extra AC, AD and CHS. It also gave a bonus +1 DR. In this early period while Peg had just one attack, the 1 AP cost didn't matter: a total attack cost of 8 left headroom for AP-sapping conditions, and Peg laughed off minor fatigue as he squashed Wyrms under his hammer on BWM. Only once, after meeting Toszylae, the lich of Kazaul, Peg temporarily had to switch his armor while the rotworms sucked away at his soul, and also 3 AP.

At some point, though, Peg found it was getting too hard to pound through some areas like the green maze and the Charwood mines. Did Peg give up on the Skullcrusher and engage in endless, mind-numbing battles to acquire more rare, exotic and refined weaponry? No! Instead he breathed new life into it. The Jewel of Fallhaven reduced the Skullcrusher's attack cost to 6, and with two combat speed skill points and swapping the "sturdy leather cuirass", Peg could smash and bash twice as fast with two attacks, often before vermin even had a chance to lift a claw to strike back. Peg knew he was destined to dominate the land.

However, Peg hadn't anticipated there would a few places where smushing and crushing wasn't enough. On the way to Remgard, the creepy crawly plaguestriders with their insect contagion inflicted heavy damage, causing Peg's bonemeal potion habit to spiral out of control. The next time Peg returned home to Crossglen, his father Mikhail and the villagers did a intervention, telling him he had a bonemeal addiction problem. Peg realized he had to change his ways, so he learned some finesse, learned which battles to pick, and learned which creepy and spooky monsters to dodge when he could. But this was against Peg's nature. It was hard on his pride, in Lodar's cave, for Peg to sneak around avoiding the tough Hirathil, who would otherwise swarm him and suck his life force away faster than his potions could replace it.

Fleeing from a battle was the hardest lesson for Peg to learn. He was no match in a direct confrontation for the foul Hira'zinn, who could regenerate faster than Peg could inflict damage, and Peg desperately wanted to win, even if it meant despicable tactics fit only for a chihuahua. Peg snuck up behind Hira'zinn to bash him, and then, squealing in terror, quickly fled; not just once, but over and over until Peg had won the battle against Hara'zinn, but lost all respect for himself.

In a future update, Peg will undertake a new quest, "Recovering dignity", where he seeks out a psychologist in Nor City to talk about his inadequacy complex. Until he works out the psychological damage following that tragic battle, Peg will roam the areas around Crossglen and Fallhaven, seeking out small puppies to savagely hammer to death in the vain hope of filling that great, empty hole left inside himself.
Peg: (About to retire)
Lvl: 45 XP: 1668901 AP: 12/0 HP: 109 AC: 214% AD: 17-60 CHS: 31 CM: 3.0 BC: 106% DR: 5
Skills: HH: 1 Do: 1 BS: 1 CS: 2 IF: 2 Reg: 1 DBoS: 1 WP:BL: 1 AP:L: 2 FS:2H: 2
L+E: None! Status Effects: DS
shirish

Re: Peg and the Skullcrusher

Post by shirish »

I love your descriptions. Wish there was a like button :)
lvl 51, XP:2379731 AC - 197% BC - 176% Skills - CS (2) QL - (1) IF - (2) Regeneration - (2) FM - (2), one-handed shield proficiency (1) , Shield proficienty (1) , Fighting style : Weapon and shield (2) - Specialization : Weapon an shield (1)
Duke
VIP

Post by Duke »

Nice use of the skullcrusher, and nice description of it's shortcomings in the long run.
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Loved it, peg. Skullcrusher is an awesome weapon but with serious limitations. Fortunately, those limitation can be averted through the holistic conscious of the build and skills of your choice.

Final frontier

Since you love open source projects, AT in particular, Peg's adventure might not be over just yet. There is a vast world outside of Andor's literal trail that has yet to be discovered.... and created.... ;)

*Welcome to the community*
Voom
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

that was intense... :shock:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

I honestly don't usually read rpg descriptions but this was great.
ideas plox