v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Money, money, money

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Money, money, money

Post by Kashim »

IMO, the entire concept of money being dropped by monsters could be dropped since it doesn't have a lot of effect on your actual bank account anyway, and lets face it there's no logical reason why that wolf was carrying 12 gold. Humanoid enemies sure, wolves though?
I'm one of those who always wants to buy the best equipment he can early on, and that usually leaves me totally broke until ~level 20, and then I start being pretty even until 30, then I start owning a significant portion of the world's wealth.
To be fair, a LOT of games have this same problem, and they solve it in various ways. Bethesda games don't have any problem with the player owning a significant amount of the world's wealth at the end and having to grind hard for any cash at the beginning. They partially solve the money issue at the end by introducing a "money pit" mechanic like owning your own house that you can literally pour near-endless amounts of cash into.

Oh, and want to have a character who always has money problems? Do like my most recent character. I decided that I wanted to ally fully with Feygard, and thus, since my Lord commands it, I shall not use Bonemeal Potions. I do my best to hunt up all of the raw meat that I consume, but I know that when I get to stages like the green maze I'm going to have to buy major health potions, and that's going to completely break the bank for even a small amount.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Kashim wrote:there's no logical reason why that wolf was carrying 12 gold.
Are you telling me that for all these years I've misunderstood what the Alaska gold rush was about? :?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

rijackson741 wrote:
Are you telling me that for all these years I've misunderstood what the Alaska gold rush was about? :?
Is THAT why all of the wolves nearly went extinct?
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Kashim wrote:
rijackson741 wrote:
Nope. It's because Sarah Palin is a moron.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

Antison wrote:
Kashim wrote:
rijackson741 wrote: Are you telling me that for all these years I've misunderstood what the Alaska gold rush was about? :?
Nope. It's because Sarah Palin is a moron.
ROFL!!!!! You guys are hilarious! :lol:
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Equipped L&E Items: RoLS, SH, Mwt, DoSP, BotD
Capeditiea
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by Capeditiea »

lol i return to this? :D i love this.
Player Name: ESC LVL: 47 (ChillIin' with Kayla, awaiting next update.)
Player Name: E LVL: 28 (The Fated No IF Build)
i am spoiler happy now that i have figured it out. :3
:D
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

Yes you did. Welcome to the crazy corner of the Foaming Flask!
Update coming soon Nina Lvl: 49 XP: 2209302 Base; HP: 79 AP: 10 AC: 75% Dam: 19 Def: 75%
WA1, HH1, BS1, QL1, IF1, Ev1, Rg1, FM1, MF1, DBoS1, DP1, LAP1, HAP1, FS:DW2, S:DW1
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Grinding is necessary, but we all agree there is too much in the beginning. New early quests would be a good solution, like nyktos said.
I play very conservatively. Which means I don't go around and buy items I know I wont use much. Using my approach I've notice something. I grind until I can beat the river troll and the gang west of crossroads tower. I then buy & sell from the lady in the crossroads tower never go broke ever again. Thats about lvl 15-20. Thereafter, I buy only bonemeal and replace existing equipment through buy/sell.

Perhaps grinding shouldn't be reduced but more spread out. Biggest grinds are puppies and BWM. One of which is involuntary.
Voom
Lady Drager

Post by Lady Drager »

I think an easier solution is adding in some additional tasks from Dad. After you bring him bread, maybe he needs something to wash it down with. After you take care of the rats in the yard, maybe you have to trim the yard or harvest a crop. Mikhail can be made to give you many tasks for which you can earn an allowance. It won't matter if you never complete all his tasks if you have to specifically agree to do them to add the quest to your log. But as your father he is realistically GUARANTEED to always have something for you to do. After all, parents are like that.
Edit
Spelling correction
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

"Earn an allowance", or find Andor? I prefer to focus on the latter. The last thing that this game needs are more fetch and return quests.

"A home without a beagle is just a house"