v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

The Hirazinn is a wimp.

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Schmmiiirc
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

The Hirazinn is a wimp.

Post by Schmmiiirc »

Schmmiiirc is still wandering around with his tail between his legs licking his wounds after his attempt on the Hirathil caves, (it's not a pretty sight) :o - but Tungu the Small took up the challenge after heeding his warnings.

He went in with better stats ( 283AC: 31-47AD: 158/4 BC) and a huge supply of Bonemeal etc. etc. and found it easy, the Hirathils seemed almost reluctant to fight in some caves and he was able to almost run through some of them without a scratch. Only five Bonemeals used to reach Lodar, compared to fifty plus for Schmmiiirc who turned back before reaching the end.

Lodar sent him back to dispose of the Hirazinn, at which point Tungu changed into his Blackwater gear (249AC:31-47AD: 201/3 BC) and beat him up mercilessly, the silly old Dragon barely laid a glove on him, maybe minus 10HP in total.

There's obviously more to be done, got to get out and back again, but nothing to be fearful of now: looking forward to the update, but until then I guess it may just be grinding for RoLS, (and bringing on another couple of characters). :D
See the puppies scatter.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: The Hirazinn is a wimp.

Post by Tomcat »

I also find that once you're strong enough to get through the Hirathil ghosts, the dragon isn't all that. Perhaps it should inflict a nasty actor condition with high probability, or lock you in so you can't do hit and run.

How about an actor condition that prevents you from using potions? Either outright, or by, say, tripling the AP required to use them
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Schmmiiirc

Post by Schmmiiirc »

Tomcat wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:42 pm I also find that once you're strong enough to get through the Hirathil ghosts, the dragon isn't all that. Perhaps it should inflict a nasty actor condition with high probability, or lock you in so you can't do hit and run.

How about an actor condition that prevents you from using potions? Either outright, or by, say, tripling the AP required to use them
Apart from an actor condition, none of that would have made any difference: I just stood there battering it, keeping a close watch on my hit points and expecting to get hit at any moment, it just never happened, cooked Perch running in the background kept me healthy until the pathetic old Lizard was a goner.

Now what am I supposed to do with this manky old sword? Tungu the Small has already used all of the available Oegyth crystals to make him stronger. :cry:
See the puppies scatter.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Sounds like the dragon needs a higher AC also to hit your BC of 200.

To me, it comes down to game balance. Did you find the Hirathil ghosts easy or hard? If hard, then the boss should be even harder. If the ghosts were easy, then you were just overpowered before you went in, and there's nothing that needs to be fixed.

I've never tried the sword, myself, so I'm no help there. Other than to say don't spend all your Oegyth crystals in one place, except that horse is out of the barn.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Schmmiiirc wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 pm Tungu the Small has already used all of the available Oegyth crystals to make him stronger. :cry:
Are you sure? There are eight available.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Schmmiiirc wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm Tungu changed into his Blackwater gear (249AC:31-47AD: 201/3 BC) and beat him up mercilessly, the silly old Dragon barely laid a glove on him, maybe minus 10HP in total.
Why ever change out of the Blackwater gear? It is awesome and should be kept on.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Schmmiiirc

Post by Schmmiiirc »

rijackson741 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm
Schmmiiirc wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:28 pm Tungu the Small has already used all of the available Oegyth crystals to make him stronger. :cry:
Are you sure? There are eight available.
Yes,I've found and used all eight.

Antison wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:53 am
Schmmiiirc wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 pm Tungu changed into his Blackwater gear (249AC:31-47AD: 201/3 BC) and beat him up mercilessly, the silly old Dragon barely laid a glove on him, maybe minus 10HP in total.
Why ever change out of the Blackwater gear? It is awesome and should be kept on.
Several reasons, better AC using ordinary equipment, and as it happened, sufficient BC to get me through the Hirathil caves, chance of Crits (not on the ghosts, but in other play), access to different types of weapons. I was expecting more from Hirazinn and so I put up my best BC equipment for that fight.

The simplest reason of all though, it's a game: I like to play.
See the puppies scatter.
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

The Hira-Zinn fight gets easier every time I do it, because every time I learn something new.
My first character had 6 swings per turn for ~30 dmg at high hit rates. Got me past the ghosts easy, got me massacred by the Zinn, as I wasn't able to inflict lasting damage due to my low BC and his stupid healing. Took over 100 bonemeal potions for the single fight, and several rounds his health actually went up because he healed more than I damaged him for.
Second character learned about hit and run and the use of liquid courage and minor speed. Similar stats, but a little less accuracy, a little more damage. Took him out without any really major problems.
Third character used 2x brutal clubs. Even without crits, damage from 40-80 laughs at the Hira Zinn sooooo hard. Even with fewer swings, I was doing tons more damage because the resistance wasn't a problem. That plus hit and run, third char maybe used 2-3 bonemeal potions.

I actually really like the difficulty of Hira-Zinn now. This is because of exactly what you've described in this post: you fought it once and it was SUPER HARD, but then you spent a whole game knowing what was going to be coming and subtlety customizing your build to handle it, and it was easy. That's exactly how it was for me also. IMO, this is exactly how a game should be.

I wouldn't disable potions. I might disable hit and run though, or heck, just have him heal himself to full if you run away. In fact, I'd like to see that for other of the larger bosses. The bone dragon at the bottom Charwood and the winged demon in Flagstone could go for the same thing. Another option would be to allow the player to run, but not stop combat unless the player runs far enough that the NPC doesn't get there that turn. In other words, allow the monster to give chase. That'd be a LOT harder in code though, because it would mess with core battle mechanics.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Chasing bosses, sounds nice :twisted:
But some monsters should not move, because they block the path, like the troll on the bridge.

Maybe Hit and run can be made harder each time? First escape is normal, second escape has lower chance and so on.
Only after some period of time without escape it gets normal again.
Nut
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

Just had my easiest Hira Zinn fight yet.
Greataxe of Shattered Hope. Best weapon to fight him, IMO. You get 2 hits/turn, but the real difference is that after you trigger fatigue, he only gets 2 hits as well. He loses 3/5 of his damage, 3/5 of his bleeding wounds, and most importantly, 3/5 of his healing capability. Since you've got as many as 6 hits more before the condition wears off, there's a very good chance of reapplying it before it goes away.
Combine that with the Dazed effect you can get off of your gauntlets, and he'll have a hard time dodging. If you have a good amount of DR you can now pretty much ignore his damage, meaning less time using potions and more time killing him. With his reduced chances to hit, you'll also get over the fear effect from time to time, giving you big wins during those rounds.
For additional fun, have 2 points of combat speed and 12 AP, so you can unequip your JOF, and equip a jewel of the protector to add 2DR. If you can get yourself up to about 7 DR, his normal hits really just don't do much anymore. (2 on necklace, 1 on boots, 1 on helmet, 2 on armor, 1 from bark skin was how I did it). Now, even after fear, he only has 0-3 damage unless he crits.
In this case, I'd actually say that the committed fight was easier than a hit and run. This is because I needed my status effects to stay active on him.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1