v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Hello and a few questions

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Gremin
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Hello and a few questions

Post by Gremin »

Hi,

I recently found this game in the Android play store. I am playing version 7.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S4. However, I also play it on my pc via the NOX app which I synch with my phone.

So I have been lurking and reading the forums a ton but I still dont understand a few things.

1. Why can you sell meat for 25g and ruby gem for 6g, lol. I mean I know this is a RPG but seriously?

2. Respawn rates...I read the thread about farming for legendaries and the formulas associated with respawn rate. However, there are very often a lot of times when I kill a monster blink and its back up. It would not be so bad but a lot of these places are PACKED with monsters already. I feel like a fat kid playing dodge ball. Would love to see the respawn rates toned down just a tad so I am not doing 1 step forward, 2 steps back or playing the load, reload, load, reload game.

3. Equipment...having a hard time finding any kind of progression gear wise. The moment I take a piece off especially ones that have DR on them I get bushwacked HARD. I followed the one guide that was from fly to dual wielding but its incomplete so I have been scouring the different sites to figure gear out. It just seems like the middle game lacks substance and a clear path. After those initial two cities and then Vilegard you have to explore some which I did but there is no clear cut quest line to follow at that point.

4. Conning System...I have no idea how you are coming up with how hard a mob is in relation to me. I am constantly being told a mob is very easy and then I die in 2 hits or vice versa its a hard mob and I kill it super easy constantly. Does the conning system have a formula or is it some text attached based on the mobs base stats?

I love this game, so don't take this post wrong. This game is very addicting, as I have spent almost every last minute of my free time lately on it. I am not looking for spoilers, hand outs or knowledge that I should not have. I just trying to understand the game better so I can adjust my game play.

So to give folks a chance to see why I am making these statements here is what my current stats look like.

Level 17
HP 36
AP 11
Attack Chance: 137
Attack Damage: 10-18
Critical Hit Skill: 12
Critical Multiplier: 2
Effective Critical Chance: 10%
Block Chance: 12%
Damage Resistance: 2

I am wielding Flagstone's Pride and Reinforced Wooden Buckler. I have JoF and one rank of Combat Speed. I also have a rank in More Criticals, Quick Learner, and Increased Fortitude. Planned on getting rank 2 of CS so I can swing 4 times in a round. I have not taken a single +5 hp or block, been alternating between +5% attack and +1 to damage.

I have as my other gear a fine green hat, hardened leather shirt, taverns brawler ring, Jinxed Ring of Damage Resistance, Bar Brawlers gloves and Vacor's boots of attack.

In my inventory unused is Venomous Dagger, Lesser Ring of Block, Hardened Iron Longsword, Bar Brawlers Ring, Irogotu's necklace, and Stone Cuirass.

Any help on what gear I need to be looking for or swapping out would be appreciated.

Once again, thanks for having me here.

Gremin
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Hello and a few questions

Post by Kashim »

Hello, and Welcome to the Forums Gremin!
I'll try to answer your questions point-by-point as I understand them:
Gremin wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm 1. Why can you sell meat for 25g and ruby gem for 6g, lol. I mean I know this is a RPG but seriously?
I assume that it has something to do with the fact that Meat is actually useful to people, while rubies are not. I also haven't seen a lot of "high-class" people in the world who might actually care about things like that (though maybe in Feygard?). When you can't feed your kids, you don't care about rubies.
Gremin wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm 2. Respawn rates...I read the thread about farming for legendaries and the formulas associated with respawn rate. However, there are very often a lot of times when I kill a monster blink and its back up. It would not be so bad but a lot of these places are PACKED with monsters already. I feel like a fat kid playing dodge ball. Would love to see the respawn rates toned down just a tad so I am not doing 1 step forward, 2 steps back or playing the load, reload, load, reload game.
Respawn rates are, like a lot of other things in the game, tied to true random. I think there's a 1% chance per check for them to respawn? (someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong) That means that 1 out of every 100 times when you kill something, it'll pop back into existence right away.
I think the idea of having a minimum-time-to-respawn has been discussed in the past.
Gremin wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm 3. Equipment...having a hard time finding any kind of progression gear wise. The moment I take a piece off especially ones that have DR on them I get bushwacked HARD. I followed the one guide that was from fly to dual wielding but its incomplete so I have been scouring the different sites to figure gear out. It just seems like the middle game lacks substance and a clear path. After those initial two cities and then Vilegard you have to explore some which I did but there is no clear cut quest line to follow at that point.
That's more or less true, and largely because the game isn't done yet. Generally, I follow a Crossglen->Fallhaven->Vilegard/FoamingFlask->Crossroads->Loneford->Blackwater->Remgard path through most of my games, but an open world concept was something that the developers tried very hard for as I understand it, so they wanted you to have the freedom to explore past a certain point.
Gremin wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm 4. Conning System...I have no idea how you are coming up with how hard a mob is in relation to me. I am constantly being told a mob is very easy and then I die in 2 hits or vice versa its a hard mob and I kill it super easy constantly. Does the conning system have a formula or is it some text attached based on the mobs base stats?
No idea, but like you, I've found whatever system is in place to be remarkably inaccurate.
Gremin wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm Any help on what gear I need to be looking for or swapping out would be appreciated.
All I will say on that is to always get increased Fortitude. All other skills are optional, but that one is sooooo important, especially if you want to never put levels into HP.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Hello Gremin, and welcome to the forums.

1) Another question would be why animals such as Mountain wolves are carrying around gold and ruby gems in the first place. It's a strange world ;)

2) As Kashim says, respawn rates are not not fixed. If you are in an area, a monster has a 1% chance of spawning every 0.5 seconds. If you leave an area for 3 minutes, or rest in a bed, all monsters respawn.

3) Yes, the middle game does need more. We are working on that for the next release.

4) I would need to check the details, but I think it only looks at your offensive capabilities and the monsters defensive capabilities. In other words, it ignores your defensive capabilities. So it tells you how easily you can kill the mob, but not how easily the mob can kill you.

Your problem is your block chance, which is really low. The actual chance for you to hit a monster, or for a monster to hit you (it works the same either way) depends on the difference between the attackers AC and the defenders BC. It's not linear though, so once the difference gets beyond a certain point there's little gain from increasing it. At level 17 your AC is very high, and increasing it will not help you much. Your BC is so low you are going to get hit almost every time though. You need to get your BC up.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Gremin
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by Gremin »

Thanks for the replies.

Is there any obvious gear I should be getting? I am going to sell the stone cuirass immediately since it's useless to me. Depending on how soon next update is I would like to go dual wield using that Venomous Dagger. I can't swap out JoF, need reduced AP. So rings, head, and feet ideas?
Kashim
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Kashim »

I'd go ahead and look into the rings sold by the thief at the crossroads, or, in your particular predicament, there is a really nice ring sold by the priest in Vilegard. It's expensive, but it'll help cover your block problems. For head and feet, there aren't a lot of terribly good options. I usually end up using Vacor's boots for quite a while.
Remember, if you need to buy 2 of something and only one is being sold, rest in a bed to recycle a merchant's inventory.
If you have extra money somehow (I doubt you do, but hey) there are some really nice armors sold by Minarra in the tower at the crossroads guardhouse.
I have too many characters to list them, so I'll just list my most important:
Template Flux
Lvl: 1 XP:56034
L&E: RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 RoL: 2 BD: 1
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

If you replace that Jinxed ring of damage resistance with a Ring of the Protector (expensive; the one Kashim is referring to) your BC will jump from 12% to 35%. That's still kind of low, but it's a big improvement. You will also get an additional 25% AC (which you don't need, but it will allow you to make other compromises to increase BC), 0-3 damage per hit, and 3 HP. That more than pays off the loss of 1 DR. Then switch your gloves to the Fine snakeskin gloves (also Vilegard), to get another 4% BC. You can easily afford to lose the 5% AC by doing that. Also get the Ordinary leather cap (Vilegard again) for a further 5% BC. The loss of 2% AC will make no difference to you. I would switch the hardened leather shirt to something else as well. DR is useful early in the game, but much less so later when the monsters do much more damage. Since you will have to spend a lot of money on the ring a good, affordable, choice would be the Superior leather armor (Vilegard once again!), for another increase of 4% BC. I would personally also use a few level ups to increase base BC.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

BC >> DR!
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
sbmechling
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by sbmechling »

I saved up my gold and bought the Jewel of Fallhaven, which lowers my attack cost by 1 AP. That might put you up into a faster attack speed. Also, I use the Venomous Dagger that you mentioned earlier because it only has an attack cost of 4 AP and I still get some pretty good hits out of it.

I also try to keep a few Anitdote's on hand.

gtg.

I hope these help.

Have fun.

edit:

I had to go take care of something. So, to finish what I was going to say about antidotes: I use the raw meat sometimes if I don't need a lot of HP regeneration, and then I don't use up my more valuable cooked meat. But I keep 4 antidotes on hand in case I get food poisoning. Also, you can sell back the anitdotes you have made for more than what it costs to make them if I did my calculations correctly. So sometimes I save up the poison glands and animal fur and go make a bunch of antidotes in bulk and then sell them back.

currently
Level 20
and using
Fine Green Hat
Hardened Leather shirt
Jewel of Fallhaven
Venemous Dagger
Crude Wooden Buckler
Ring of the Guardian
Challenger's Ring
Bar Brawler's Gloves
Snakeskin Boots
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Hello sbmechling, and welcome to the forums.
sbmechling wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:09 pm you can sell back the anitdotes you have made for more than what it costs to make them if I did my calculations correctly.
:o I had not noticed that. Actually, if you buy three and sell two back, the one you keep is effectively free, and you have 8gp left over.
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Growler »

Great catch re the Antidote-based gold-making con--I mean, Feature! :)
Wish had realized that early on when gold was so hard to come by.

However, does the Potion-maker get mad after realizing the con..Feature?!
He might start weakening the formula..or worse--start adding Too much of the poison.. :?
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.