v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Screen goes mostly black during fight

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
TakeChances
android_version: 4.0

Re: Screen goes mostly black during fight

Post by TakeChances »

I had a slow day at work, so managed to play quite a bit. I couldn't find any similarities other than it happens during fight sequences. As I said before it doesn't happen all the time for me.

Here are some fight conditions I wrote down while playing

1) Hit enemy first, enemy dies on first strike, no drop
2) Hit enemy first, enemy dies on first strike, drops item
3) Enemy hits first, hits/misses exchanged, no drop (stood or walked next to enemy until attacked)
4) Enemy hits first, hits/misses exchanged, drops item
5) Hit enemy first, multiple enemies (3 at most, generally only 2), no drop
6) Hit enemy first, multiple enemies (3 at most, generally only 2), drops item

For 1) and 2) I targeted the same type of enemy (Gornaud, Small rabid dog, Rabid fox) multiple times and wrote down whether it turned black or dropped items. The first two battles I tried were both with Gornauds, neither dropped anything, one turned black screen and one stayed normal. I couldn't find any pattern with what turned the screen black, it seems random. In every single scenario above, sometimes it'd turn black, and sometimes it'd remain displayed correctly.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

TakeChances wrote:I had a slow day at work, so managed to play quite a bit. I couldn't find any similarities other than it happens during fight sequences. As I said before it doesn't happen all the time for me.

3) Enemy hits first, hits/misses exchanged, no drop (stood or walked next to enemy until attacked)

For 1) and 2) I targeted the same type of enemy (Gornaud, Small rabid dog, Rabid fox) multiple times and wrote down whether it turned black or dropped items. The first two battles I tried were both with Gornauds, neither dropped anything, one turned black screen and one stayed normal. I couldn't find any pattern with what turned the screen black, it seems random. In every single scenario above, sometimes it'd turn black, and sometimes it'd remain displayed correctly.
Thank you for reporting this, the more people that report bugs like this he quicker we will get to it.

Just a few simple questions to help us help you:
Phone type:
Operating System:
Current Version of Andor's Trail:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
only1doug
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by only1doug »

TakeChances wrote:I had a slow day at work, so managed to play quite a bit. I couldn't find any similarities other than it happens during fight sequences. As I said before it doesn't happen all the time for me.

Perhaps it would be worth watching the battle log, could the black screen be related to critical hit or max / min / specific damage value hit?
Lvl: 80, XP: -, Gold: -, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0
HP: 259, AC: 250%, AD: 63-69, AP: 2, ECC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 30%, DR: 5
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

I am able to reproduce this:
  1. Engage in combat
  2. Exit to menu
  3. Continue game
  4. Either long-press some place to change your selection, or do an attack that makes the visual effect run
Basically, if the main view is created while in combat, the double-buffering buffers are not completely filled. It is only graphical.
I'm only able to reproduce it on Android >= 4.2 . Does not happen on versions lower than that.

Is this the same thing you are seeing? Does the black-screen thing happen under other circumstances than the one stated above?

(You can force the view to redraw while in combat by opening some other activity, like the hero screen or the world map.)
/Oskar
TakeChances
android_version: 4.0

Post by TakeChances »

I don't know if this helps - I noticed this after the latest update to Andor's Trail, but since then I've had issues with other games where I can start a game, but then I can't do anything in it, it's like the touchscreen stops responding or video goes weird. Since I have a Nexus 7, I contacted the Google support. He basically said that they'd made changes in the system during the last update that could cause issues with apps. (But he couldn't/wouldn't elaborate, just said that the developers would need to made adjustments) I only spoke to him about the touchscreen not responding (in those other games), thinking that it was a software bug with the operating system update. I didn't ask about the black screen, sorry, I didn't think of it at the time.

Here's what they said in the follow-up email: "From what I understand, it looks like the issue you're having is actually with the app itself and not with Google Play. I recommend contacting the developer directly for support and for specific questions about the app's functionality. Developers are responsible for maintaining their own apps, including making sure they function correctly and work as promised."

A nice little pass-the-buck maneuver, but at least it seems to point to something they changed in the way the operating system handles things. I'm sorry I can't be much more help.

Edit: it only happens when I engage in combat. As soon as the fight is over and I click on the battle info window, when that window disappears the screen goes back to normal. Its just during the fight when it does happen, but lasts the whole fight.
Firesoldier
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Firesoldier »

I think this bug has something to do with the ROLS, after I finally found one I had this bug too, but before I got this item I had no problems.

Did anyone of you have this bug without using(or even having) a ROLS?
Lvl: 91, XP: 13993837, Gold: 265318, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1
HP: 306, AC: 359%, AD: 39-43, AP: 3, ECC: 35%, CM: 7.5, BC: 115%, DR: 2
sorrow
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by sorrow »

I got a rols and I don't have this problem

Sorrow
Lvl:80 XP:9214038 Gold:1mil Hp:243 AC:301 Ad:28-49 Ch:21 Cm:2.0 Ecc:15 BC:148 Dr:3

skills:
WA:2. HH:2. CS:2. TH:2 QL:2 IF:2 REG:2 MF:5 DBS:1 2HSP:1 LAP:2 HAP:1 SREG:1
L/E
CHAR:1 ROLS:1 ELYR:1 GOLF:1 SHAF: 1
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

This is fixed in the master repo, so next release it should be fixed.
missypearls
android_version: 4.2

Post by missypearls »

This happens to me to on the nexus 7. I was thinking it was from the auto rotate activated on the tablet. I just keep hitting till monster is dead then my screen comes back on.
Lvl:83, XP: 10389405, Gold: 281686, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1,
GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW:1, HP: 294, AC: 344%, AD: 45_58, AP: 2, ECC:27% ,
CM: 3.0, BC: 96%, DR: 6
Shadow regeneration, collected all l&e items
porpoisepower
android_version: 4.3

Post by porpoisepower »

I have this on my galaxy nexus(4.3)... for what it's worth. weird that the common element appears to be Nexus devices. But looks like there is a fix on the way.
Urist
Lvl:52 Gold:32k HP:130 AP:3/12 AC:245% AD:21-34 CHS:19 BC:171% DR:4