v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Minor dialog issue

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Minor dialog issue

Post by rijackson741 »

I have been playing with the recent alpha release, and have found a minor dialog problem. I don't think it's new to the alpha release though.
When I went back to talk to Kantya, when choosing "What do you think caused the monsters to appear", I can go through the entire original dialog. Towards the end I still get the option "Is there anything I can do?", and if I select that then I still get the response "You've helped us this far. Talk to Maevalia again, she might have something else for you.". I have completed the "Trial by fire" quest though, so I think the dialog needs to be changed to reflect that. Perhaps instead of "Is there anything I can do?", just "Thank you for telling me your story again".
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Minor dialog issue

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Thank you for making a post that is far more worthy of a reply than what you have been shown the honor of. I would love to be in a position to honestly state there is no reason to be concerned about your observation, and that there are standardized responses in place for addressing such issues in a timely manner. Progress is as much of forward development, as it is backtracking to finalize an incomplete work. As I understand it to be, the primary language coded in Andor's Trail is American English and every translation that is given its dedication by the various volunteers, is based upon this. So, is not the accuracy of the core language's spelling and grammatical existence a fundamental goal? Sadly, not as much as it should be, in my opinion.

Personally, I thank you for taking the time to share something that even you may have considered dismissing by way of the most commonly experienced reason to remain mute on any issue, which is usually; surely either someone else will eventually report this, or it will be corrected internally in an upcoming release.

A good point of reference regarding anything seemingly off, is more often than not, worthy of noting. Again, I feel the responsibility to add "in my opinion". Whenever you read again regarding Andor's Trail, that it is a work in progress, now you can consider the individual's understanding of the true scope of this meaning to be broader than originally understood.

I don't believe you can truly experience success in your progress if it means that along the way you lost sight of where you've been, or started from.

Please forgive me of my philosophical wanderings, but do accept my appreciation for sharing your observation(s) which remind us of its existence, as well as kindly receive my encouragement to be yourself and openly share your observations. If there be doubt that concerns you, sending a P.M. is another option that is available to all who might otherwise feel uncomfortable with making a public post that one might be concerned about in terms of how it might be received.
One of even fewer...
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Thanks for the reply :). It's such a minor issue that it didn't surprise me, or offend me, that I didn't get an immediate response. I happened to notice it while doing a "world tour"** to test the alpha release, so I reported it. The good news is that it's the only thing I found, and it's not even specific to the alpha release :D.
ctnbeh13 wrote:Personally, I thank you for taking the time to share something that even you may have considered dismissing by way of the most commonly experienced reason to remain mute on any issue, which is usually; surely either someone else will eventually report this, or it will be corrected internally in an upcoming release.
I've alpha and beta tested quite a few software packages (some you might have heard of, some you almost certainly haven't), and I've been part of a product development team on more than one, and I know exactly what you mean! It's very irritating when someone complains that "this (obscure) bug has existed for the last three versions, so why hasn't it been fixed?", when they never took the two minutes required to report it. So I report everything, because then I have the right to complain three versions later, when it still hasn't been fixed :twisted:

Seriously though, this is a really minor issue, and I realize there are much more important things that need to be dealt with, such as more content, necessary changes to combat, etc. I reported it just so it would hopefully get on the list, and at some point, when other priorities have been dealt with, get addressed. I'll continue to report anything I find, even if it's minor, because, as you have noted, if nobody bothers to report such things they are unlikely to ever get fixed. The developers cannot be expected to find every minor problem; that's the point of alpha and beta testing.

To all the developers: keep up the excellent work! AT is really a gem :D

** World tour was all of snake cave, all of flagstone, up and down BWM (including the Kazaul shrine), off to Remgard and back, through the iquan caves and back, off to see Lodar, all the way down the Charwood mine and back, wander around Vilegard, Fallhaven, and Crossglen. Also a few other places/caves that I now can't recall. Can't say I talked to every NPC, but I covered a lot of ground :D
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

rijackson741 wrote: ** World tour was all of snake cave, all of flagstone, up and down BWM (including the Kazaul shrine), off to Remgard and back, through the iquan caves and back, off to see Lodar, all the way down the Charwood mine and back, wander around Vilegard, Fallhaven, and Crossglen. Also a few other places/caves that I now can't recall. Can't say I talked to every NPC, but I covered a lot of ground :D
The rijackson741 World Tour is coming to a town near you! Call today to book tickets in advance! ;)

:mrgreen:
Happy Hunting RiJackson!

Thanks for making a report. The game really comes to life more and more when all the little details fall into place.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

rijackson741 wrote:So I report everything, because then I have the right to complain three versions later, when it still hasn't been fixed :twisted:
Good one! ;) Reminds me of the complaints that some people drone on about regarding a particular politician, when they never took the time to vote and possibly have made a difference.

Reporting even the little stuff sometimes is highly significant, especially in those situations where one error sets the domino effect into motion, as you probably already know.
One of even fewer...