v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Not bugs but typos...

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Not bugs but typos...

Post by Voom »

@ctnbeh13 Someone said your original comment was cynical. Not inappropriate, but just wrong imo.

If you reread the typo it is purely a grammatical error. Not rhetorical nor other figurative prose.
Voom
auroradormita
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by auroradormita »

Here's another very suspiciously phrased sentence:

Buceth: Changing the way things are done without these methods will require quite an effort.

I know it's incorrect, but I can't quite think of how it should be. He makes it sound like they need "these methods" in order to change. But what he's trying to say is that if they aren't going to use "these methods", they will have to change.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I don't even like the word "methods". Here's the dialogue:
"Let me continue the story of our hypothetical case."
"A while later, the men return. They explain that some of the methods that are used in the village have now been prohibited across the whole land."
"Without going into specifics, let's say that these are methods that have been used for past generations in your village.
"Changing the way things are done without these methods will require quite an effort. A lot of people in the village are upset because of this news from the men."
Rather than methods, perhaps procedures?
And then "Changing the procedures that determine the way things are done will require quite an effort. A lot of people in the village are upset because of this news from the men."
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Both "methods" and "procedures" seem like such formal words in this setting. Is "ways" too vague?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Ways is a good choice, except that "Changing the ways that determine the way things are done will require quite an effort." sounds horrible :?
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

I didn't write this and I am not really familiar with the author's intended meaning behind this quest so I don't want to change things around too much but here is my go at it with just the dialogue provided:

"A while later, the men return. They explain that some of the methods items that are have been used in the village have are now been prohibited across the whole land."
"Without going into specifics, let's say that these items are used in methods traditions that have been practiced for the past many generations in your village.
"Changing the way things are done without these methods items will require quite an great effort. A lot of people in the village are upset because of this news from the men worried about this news."
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

rijackson741 wrote:Ways is a good choice, except that "Changing the ways that determine the way things are done will require quite an effort." sounds horrible :?
Lol true. I wasn't suggesting a single word replacement. Clearly the dialogue would need to be rewritten if you change the term.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

sdevaney wrote:I didn't write this and I am not really familiar with the author's intended meaning behind this quest so I don't want to change things around too much but here is my go at it with just the dialogue provided:

"A while later, the men return. They explain that some of the methods items that are have been used in the village have are now been prohibited across the whole land."
"Without going into specifics, let's say that these items are used in methods traditions that have been practiced for the past many generations in your village.
"Changing the way things are done without these methods items will require quite an great effort. A lot of people in the village are upset because of this news from the men worried about this news."
That sounds much better, yes.
Norbert
auroradormita
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by auroradormita »

Here's another one. Little bro says to a guard in Foaming Flask: I should better go.

Obviously you can use either should OR better in that sentence, but not both.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Tomcat wrote:
rijackson741 wrote:Ways is a good choice, except that "Changing the ways that determine the way things are done will require quite an effort." sounds horrible :?
Lol true. I wasn't suggesting a single word replacement. Clearly the dialogue would need to be rewritten if you change the term.
OK. How about
"A while later, the men return. They explain that some of the ways that things are done in the village have now been prohibited across the whole land."
"Without going into specifics, let's say that these are ways that have been used for past generations in your village.
"Changing the way things are done will require quite an effort for people to adjust. A lot of people in the village are upset because of this news from the men."
sdevaney wrote:I didn't write this and I am not really familiar with the author's intended meaning behind this quest so I don't want to change things around too much but here is my go at it with just the dialogue provided:

Having read though more of the dialogue tree I think the point Buceth is trying to make is more general than just the use of certain items (presumably, Bonemeal), and is more about external influences dictating changes to the whole way of life.
auroradormita wrote:Here's another one. Little bro says to a guard in Foaming Flask: I should better go.

Obviously you can use either should OR better in that sentence, but not both.
In this case I don't agree with you. When someone is speaking there is a lot of leeway. Spoken English is full colloquialisms, including ones that are technically bad English. "I should better go" is a surprisingly common phrase, even though it's poor grammar. Andor's brother evidently needs to spend more time in school, and less time running around killing puppies and the like, but until then he's allowed some bad English ;)