Not bugs but typos...

A place to submit bugs to the Andor's Trail Development Team.
Chest_Rockfield
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread
Location: Impeached former President of the Too cool for a RoLS Club. ;)

Re: Not bugs but typos...

Post by Chest_Rockfield »

Black Wind wrote:Probably right for some dictionaries, but if you get into it, either is technically correct since there is no true legal distinction between owner and business in a proprietorship. :geek:
There is if it's incorporated ;)
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
HP: 517, AC: 333%, AD: 60-61, AP: 3, CC: 90%, CM: 3, BC: 218%, DR: 0, BMP: 4k+
Black Wind
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Black Wind »

Chest_Rockfield wrote:
Black Wind wrote:Probably right for some dictionaries, but if you get into it, either is technically correct since there is no true legal distinction between owner and business in a proprietorship. :geek:
There is if it's incorporated ;)
From everything I've found, one can be changed to the other but a business can't be both at once.

However, I started thinking about the "patron" thing. I just checked, either Loneford's tavern has the same issue or customers and never an owner. There I don't think it's a problem since the patron sells nothing. With Loneford I see it as a base for a future quest to find the owner and possibly gain access to buying things there.
Chest_Rockfield

Black Wind wrote:
From everything I've found, one can be changed to the other but a business can't be both at once.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here...
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
Black Wind
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Black Wind »

Chest_Rockfield wrote:
Black Wind wrote:
I don't understand what you are trying to say here...
Sorry, I meant that from what I've read, a proprietorship can incorporate, but once it does so it is no longer considered a proprietorship. :D
Grävling
android_version: 4.0

Post by Grävling »

Proprietor is already used -- it's what Torilo answers this question with

I am Torilo, the proprietor of the establishment. Please have a seat anywhere you like.

Regardless of the fact that it would be logical to talk of either 'food and beverage' or 'foods and beverages', the fact remains that actual English speaking restaurant hosts and hostesses talk about having 'a wide selection of food and beverages'. They never say 'a wide selection of beverage'. (so the language in the game is wrong) I think the distinction is between countables and uncountables -- at least it is always 'look at the menu, and see what food (not foods) we have on offer'. But it's '50 foods (not food) to avoid when you are pregnant'. And restaurantowners are quick to tell you that they server many beverages -- but not that they serve many foods. They
serve food, in the uncountable sense.

Hi nyktos :D Pleasure to find you here too. :D

Grävling

R. Should you really be out here kid? These areas are dangerous.
You: I can handle myself.
R. I bet you do.

I bet you _can_ is what is natural in this case, not _do_.

Gandoren: Absolutely, as thanks for the help you provided earlier for both me and Minarra, we could accept to trade with you.

Try: Absolutely, as thanks for the help you provided earlier to both Minarra and me, we could agree to trade with you.

Try: But nowadays, hardly anyone comes here - because of those cursed creatures from the river.
or But nowadys, people rarely come here --

I don't know why 'anyone' and 'rarely' don't go with each other, but they really don't. It's an interesting question, one that I shall research sometime.
Last edited by nyktos on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: condensed multiple posts
Chest_Rockfield

Grävling wrote:Proprietor is already used -- it's what Torilo answers this question with

I am Torilo, the proprietor of the establishment. Please have a seat anywhere you like.

Regardless of the fact that it would be logical to talk of either 'food and beverage' or 'foods and beverages', the fact remains that actual English speaking restaurant hosts and hostesses talk about having 'a wide selection of food and beverages'. They never say 'a wide selection of beverage'. (so the language in the game is wrong) I think the distinction is between countables and uncountables -- at least it is always 'look at the menu, and see what food (not foods) we have on offer'. But it's '50 foods (not food) to avoid when you are pregnant'. And restaurantowners are quick to tell you that they server many beverages -- but not that they serve many foods. They
serve food, in the uncountable sense.

Hi nyktos :D Pleasure to find you here too. :D

Grävling

R. Should you really be out here kid? These areas are dangerous.
You: I can handle myself.
R. I bet you do.

I bet you _can_ is what is natural in this case, not _do_.
To say that all English speaking restaurant hosts say X is a little bit of a generalization. They may say, "Types of food" (plural), "categories of food" (plural), "many different dishes" (plural) etc. Additionally, this is not set in 2011, otherwise my guy would have called his brother on his new Motorola Droid to find out where he was, jumped in his car, and shot things that got in his way on his way to go meet him ;) "Food and drink" was not uncommon in times when swords were used... at least from what I've seen in movies and books :oops:
Grävling wrote:And restaurantowners are quick to tell you that they server many beverages -- but not that they serve many foods.
Go to the Cheesecake Factory ;) The wider selection the restaurant has, the more likely they will say " many foods" over "food".
Grävling wrote:They never say 'a wide selection of beverage'.
That may be true, but...
Grävling wrote:the fact remains that actual English speaking restaurant hosts and hostesses talk about having 'a wide selection of food and beverages'
is not necessarily true. I believe this could easily and maybe even more appropriately be said, "a wide selection of food and beverage". (Unless it were said, "We have a wide selection of food and many beverages.")
Regardless, the fact that we can't even agree means that the verbiage is really of no consequence provided it is spelled and punctuated correctly, yes?
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

imho -gravling has a great grasp of the english language
and implementing these changes will make the text feel more professional
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Grävling
android_version: 4.0

Post by Grävling »

Chest_Rockfield wrote:
Grävling wrote:And restaurantowners are quick to tell you that they server many beverages -- but not that they serve many foods.
Go to the Cheesecake Factory ;) The wider selection the restaurant has, the more likely they will say " many foods" over "food".
Can you give me a reference for this? Up until this post I was willing to go on record as saying that no restaurant in the English speaking world used 'foods' this way -- unless, of course, they were run by immigrants who were busy transliterating how this is said in their native language. This error is definitely on the list of common things that English-as-a-Second-Language teachers are trained to watch for, and correct in their students.

If this usage is now being adopted by native English speakers, it will be interesting to watch and track it. And professionally, it is something I need to pay attention to.
Chest_Rockfield wrote:
Grävling wrote:They never say 'a wide selection of beverage'.
That may be true, but...
Grävling wrote:the fact remains that actual English speaking restaurant hosts and hostesses talk about having 'a wide selection of food and beverages'
is not necessarily true. I believe this could easily and maybe even more appropriately be said, "a wide selection of food and beverage". (Unless it were said, "We have a wide selection of food and many beverages.")
Regardless, the fact that we can't even agree means that the verbiage is really of no consequence provided it is spelled and punctuated correctly, yes?
I disagree. I don't think that 'a wide selection of beverage' is in use. And after googling for the exact phrase, and reading what I found for over half an hour, I only found the phrase used where 'beverage' is the first part of a compound plural noun --in constructions such as 'a wide selection of beverage items'. -- with 2 exceptions, both of which occur in the english translations of pages originally written in Croatian. Here I think the translator goofed. But since Croatian is not one of the languages I speak, I cannot judge whether in Croatian, the word that they are translating as 'beverage' is a collective noun. This is the usual source for such errors.

And this is important, because in English (but not many other languages), you need to put a plural, or a collective noun after the phrase 'a selection of'. Thus 'a selection of jewellery' (which Americans spell 'jewelry') is ok. If the phrase 'a selection of beverage' is in the transitional stage between being perceived as an error, to being perceived as an acceptable usage, it would argue that the word 'beverage' is becoming a collective noun, like 'jewellery'.

So I think what we have found is that you are much more tolerant than I am when it comes to English usage. The things that irritate me and strike me as sloppy, or incorrect, and detract from my enjoyment and my ability to immerse myself in a world strike you as 'of no consequence' -- or more likely do not strike you at all, until somebody points them out to you.

Now it may be that I am a bit over-sensitive to this, since translating from other languages into English is what I mostly do these days, and my job is not to just make sure that the meaning comes through, but to convey every
nuance in the original, when possible. But since the object of the exercise is the enjoyment of the game players,
then one needs to consider the needs of the most sensitive, rather than the least.

So do you find 'We have a wide selection of food and beverages' jarring? And would prefer 'We have a wide selection of foods and beverages'? Given that the result is a list of foods and beverages, I find that passable, though I would write 'food and beverages', trying to capture the 'restaurant' experience and not the 'warehouse' or 'supermarket' experience, for all that. But there is no way that 'a wide selection of <singular concrete noun> and <singular concrete noun>' will not jar with me.

Buceth: They claim that they keep the land safe of wrongdoers and evil creatures.
Try: They claim that they keep the land safe from wrongdoers and evil creatures.

By the way, given that the game often makes a distinction between telling the truth and lying, this conversation really should be rewritten so that you have the option to lie to Buceth, first about what you would do in his hypothetical case, and most importantly when you state that you are ready to be a follower of the Shadow, when actually you are a true Feygard loyalist.
Last edited by nyktos on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: condensed multiple posts
Chest_Rockfield

Grävling wrote: Can you give me a reference for this? Up until this post I was willing to go on record as saying that no restaurant in the English speaking world used 'foods' this way -- unless, of course, they were run by immigrants who were busy transliterating how this is said in their native language. This error is definitely on the list of common things that English-as-a-Second-Language teachers are trained to watch for, and correct in their students.
My question to you seems as intriguing as yours was to me... You hear people say, "We have many food"?

Grävling wrote:I disagree. I don't think that 'a wide selection of beverage' is in use. And after googling for the exact phrase, and reading what I found for over half an hour, I only found the phrase used where 'beverage' is the first part of a compound plural noun --in constructions such as 'a wide selection of beverage items'. -- with 2 exceptions, both of which occur in the english translations of pages originally written in Croatian. Here I think the translator goofed. But since Croatian is not one of the languages I speak, I cannot judge whether in Croatian, the word that they are translating as 'beverage' is a collective noun. This is the usual source for such errors.
I think we had a communication error somewhere. If you reread what I wrote, I said that people wouldn't use "a wide selection of beverage" but would use "a wide selection of food and beverage".

I guess you're right. Maybe those do not strike me as wrong, and as you suspected, it is because in the phrase "a wide selection of food and beverage," if one were to consider "food" to be plural, I feel that they should also consider "beverage" to be plural. I have heard that. I also commonly hear "a wide selection of wine" or "many categories of wine". I do not see that as any different. (Maybe you are about to inform me that "wine" has transitioned already as "jewelery" had?) I guess I'm the most wrong because I prefer "food and beverage" to "foods and beverages" to "food and beverages". (May I ask if there is an attempt to adhere more closely to period dialect?) You, however, seem to have much more experience, so I will defer to you as I regularly do in situations where the other party knows more than me, I was just offering my input. :oops:
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome

Post by oskarwiksten »

Excellent points, and good to hear that there are more people that want the conversation text to be as clear and correct as possible!

All of the above suggestions are now corrected in the conversations, and should be ready for the next release.

Thank you for all the excellent suggestions!
/Oskar