v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Potion ideas

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Potion ideas

Post by Mino »

I checked a little more thoroughly this time, so I hope I didn't overlook an existing topic again...

Ideas for new potions & suggestions for existing ones:
"Sleep walk potion" - this is another suggestion for warping from city to city. The sleep walk potion would let you "wake up" in your last rested bed, but without having to die and sacrifice XP.

"Vaccine potion" - lowers the chance of being afflicted with any character condition by 50% for 5 rounds. This one should require a quest: a new NPC (in a town to be accessible after the next update) says they have traveled all over the lands, studying different creatures and think they can make a preventative potion for conditions like bleeding wounds, poison, dazed, fatigue, etc., but they need the following items: 10 Izthiel claws, 10 poison glands, 10 white wyrm claws, 10 blackwater brew*, and 10 Iqhan pendants. It would be similar to bonemeal potion so that you only have to provide the items once for the potion to be available. But in addition to the gold cost, you would also have to give 1 Regular potion of health for each vaccine potion.

*the Blackwater brew is supposed to be dropped by the Strong Gornaud (according to the Beastiary topic), but I'm not sure what the drop rate is, so if its too rare, maybe replace 10 blackwater brew with 10 animal hairs.

Suggestion for update to Weak pioson: instead of using this potion resulting in poisoning yourself, make it give whatever weapon you have equipped a 50% chance of inflicting weak poison per hit, for 5 rounds. But it will not affect any weapons that already inflict weak poison (currently only the Blackwater poison dagger falls in that category). So basically its like you're pouring the potion over your weapon (so it wouldn't work if you're unarmed either).
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Re: Potion ideas

Post by Fire7051 »

Mino wrote: Ideas for new potions & suggestions for existing ones:

"Vaccine potion" - lowers the chance of being afflicted with any character condition by 50% for 5 rounds. This one should require a quest: a new NPC (in a town to be accessible after the next update) says they have traveled all over the lands, studying different creatures and think they can make a preventative potion for conditions like bleeding wounds, poison, dazed, fatigue, etc., but they need the following items: 10 Izthiel claws, 10 poison glands, 10 white wyrm claws, 10 blackwater brew*, and 10 Iqhan pendants. It would be similar to bonemeal potion so that you only have to provide the items once for the potion to be available. But in addition to the gold cost, you would also have to give 1 Regular potion of health for each vaccine potion.
I really like the Vaccine Potion. I know this post is a little old but I thought I would bump it up. Just like the bonemeal maybe these could be illegal as well and could be a cheap alternative to the other potions that we currently have to cure status effects with. The problem with the current ones is that they cost too much to remove the status effect just to get it again in less than a second. If this potion would cure the status effect and bump up resistance (for a couple of rounds) to the effect then it would be totally worth some gold.

Good thinking on this one Mino!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

The way I had in mind, it wouldn't cure any conditions you already have, just lower the chance of getting any new ones. But thanks for bumping this,I had forgotten about this.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

How did I overlook this idea?

Really like this idea Mino! Having a condition that lowers the chance of infection would be more useful than a one time use potion to cure the codition while already infected.

Great idea! BUMP for sure!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

Thanks. I recently PM'd Oskar with dialogue and a quest log for my "sack of rocks" quest idea.
If he's ok with the format I sent it in, then I will try to write one up for this one next, since I was thinking I could just use an existing character, namely Mazeg. Since he's the only NPC to have traveled from Remgard to BWM Settlement he would have come across all the creatures that cause conditions and he's a potion maker so it would fit with his character.

Wyrmspawn has inspired me to be more involved in any ideas I suggest, and do more to help get them into the game if the devs decide to include them.

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

Here is dialogue for a quest leading to a "vaccination" potion.
This quest will start in BWM settlement, and will become available to the player after completing "A difference in opinion". It will also require the addition of a new drop item: Gornaud claw, dropped by regular and strong gornauds (or just remove this from the list of required items for the quest).

Again, I assume the devs will adjust the potion stats as they see fit.

Quest name: An ounce of prevention

Mazeg: Welcome friend! Would you like to browse my selection of fine potions and ointments?
1) Sure. Show me what you have.
2) I am looking for some Lyson marrow extract, for Hjaldar in Remgard.
3) (New option) No, but I wanted to thank you for that Lyson marrow extract you gave me.

Mazeg: Was my old friend Hjaldar able to make use of it?
1) What's it to you?
Mazeg: just wondering, but you don't have to tell me if you don't want to <exit conversation>
2) Yes, he's even started making potions again.

Mazeg: That's great to hear, he was always a skilled potion maker. Speaking of potions, I've been working on one but for now its just an idea. Would you like to hear more?
1) No, that sounds boring. See you later <Leave>
2) I guess, but keep it short.
3) Sure, what potion?

Mazeg: Well, during my journey here from Remgard, I had to make my way past some very deadly and nasty creatures. I'm sure you've had run ins with them too since you also came here from Remgard. I noticed some of them are able to inflict their victims with various toxins, making them weaker and less able to fight back or defend themselves. Would you like to hear more?

1) Is there any way I can get you to skip ahead to the part about the potion?
2) Fine, but this better be going somewhere.
3) Yes, please go on.

Mazeg: For example, the Arulir have a tough skin and can hit someone so hard they are stunned and unable to move. The Plague Strider's bite can cause their victim to slowly drain of energy or weaken them so that they're unable to fight back, or both. I saw a poor fellow fall victim to their poison and collapse dead. I wish I could have given him a proper burial back in Remgard, but it was too risky so I had to just bury him there. I hope his cross doesn't end up covered in webbing. After getting past them, and through a cave with Scaradons, I found a victim of another creature, an Irdegh. It seems they can pierce the skin and inject a deadly poison, and the poor fellow didn't last long after that, he barely even lasted long enough to tell me his name, "Tengil", and I tried to give him a more proper burial back inside the cave. Further along were some monsters called Izthiel, their claws are both sharp and toxic, causing their victims to bleed out. I met a man named Telban who had fallen to their attack, but there was nothing I could do for him. After that were poisonous toads, and in a cave I tried to hide in I ran across other beasts, dressed in robes. Their attacks seemed to weaken their victims making their next blow even more deadly. After witnessing this I left that cave as quick as I could.

1) That's still not close to Blackwater Mountain, how long is this story?
2) If this is your idea of keeping it short, I never want to hear a long story from you.
3) I know how difficult it must have been to get this far, please continue.

Mazeg: And of course on the way to this settlement, I had to make my way past the Gornauds whose blows can daze you, leaving you more vulnerable to another attack. And of course the White Wyrms, their deadly claws can leaving you feeling very tired and fatigued and have trouble fighting back or even running away.

1) Finally, the story is over!
2) What does all this have to do with your potion idea?
3) I'd like to know more about your potion idea.

Mazeg: Seeing all these creatures and what they can do made me want to try and create a potion that could be taken before crossing any treacherous areas to prevent those conditions from taking effect. But in order to do this, I would need samples from each of those creatures for study so I can find out how they work and how to prevent their toxins from taking effect. If you can collect some items for me, I will sell you my new potion if I'm successful.

1) That sounds like too much trouble. I'll just try to not get hit. You're on your own. <Exit conversation>
2) Fine, I'd rather put myself in danger than listen to you talk more anyway. What do you need?
3) Sure, tell me what you'll need.

Mazeg: I will need you to bring me 10 Arulir skin, 10 dead spiders, 10 Irdegh poison glands, 10 Izthiel claws, 10 poison glands, 10 Iqhan pendants, 10 Gornaud claws, 10 white wyrm claws. That should be enough for me to study and come up with an all-purpose potion.

1) Ok, but this better be worth it!
2) Ok, I will be back with those items.

Mazeg: Welcome friend! Would you like to browse my selection of fine potions and ointments?
3) About the items you wanted.

Mazeg: Do you have them?

1) Not yet, I will come back when I do <exit conversation>
2) Can you tell me about them again.
Mazeg: Sure, I need 10 Arulir skin, 10 dead spiders, 10 Irdegh poison glands, 10 Izthiel claws, 10 poison glands, 10 Iqhan pendants, 10 Gornaud claws, 10 white wyrm claws, so I can try to make a potion that would prevent the nasty conditions they can inflict.

3) Yes, I here they are.

Mazeg: Thank you! I know how much trouble it must have been to get these. If you come back a little later, I will let you know if I was able to come up with something. <You gain 2000 XP>.

3) Were you able to make your potion?

Mazeg: Yes! After much research, I was able to come up with what a prevention potion that will make anyone who takes it less likely to suffer from any of the horrible conditions these creatures can inflict. Its not 100% effective, but it still gives you a good chance. Would you like to buy some?

1) Buy?! After all I went through?! Enough with you. <Exit conversation>
2) Yes, how much?

Mazeg: 1000 gold each.

1) That much?! Forget it, I'll take my chances without the potion! <Exit conversation>
2) That's way too high, can't I get a discount for helping you?
Mazeg: That is the discounted price, that's the lowest I can charge and still cover the cost of making the potion.
3) Ok, let me see how many you have.

(New potion is added to Mazeg's inventory - 10 at a time).

Potion of prevention
lowers the chance of being afflicted with any negative actor condition by 50% (up to a maximum of 80% if combined with resistance skills or items) for 5 rounds.

After this quest is completed, the dialogue options are:
3) (New option) Do you have more of that Prevention potion?

It will be sold separately from his other potions so that you don't have to have sided with BWM Settlement to buy it.

Quest Log:

10) I spoke to Mazeg after helping his old friend Hjaldar, and he told me he has an idea for a new potion that he thought of during his journey from Remgard to Blackwater Mountain settlement. It would prevent anyone who takes it from being afflicted with the deadly conditions they can cause.

20) Mazeg has asked me to bring him back 10 Arulir skin, 10 dead spiders, 10 Irdegh poison glands, 10 Izthiel claws, 10 poison glands, 10 Iqhan pendants, 10 Gornaud claws, 10 white wyrm claws.

30) I have returned with the items Mazeg asked for. He thanked me, and said to check back with him later on his potion.

40) Mazeg has made a potion that he says will help prevent being inflicted with the conditions caused by various creatures. He says it won't be 100% effective but will work most of the time, and offers to sell me some.
Last edited by Mino on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Meirerion
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Meirerion »

I will write it down today and put a link for you asap so you may reread it and correct / change what you would like to change.
Great idea :)
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
Mino
VIP

Post by Mino »

Thanks! I just edited it after realizing I forgot to include an XP reward (now added, for 2000).

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
slayer
android_version: 4.0

Post by slayer »

Sweet quest Mino. I'm glad I've been saving up Arulir skins, I've been leveling on the Remgard road for 20+ levels now and I still only have nine of them.
slayer

Lvl: 152, XP: 64525939, Gold: 2095292, HP: 219
AC: 400%, AD: 52-68, AP: 12/4, BC 254%, DR: 3
CS: 2 QL: 22 IF: 2 REGEN: 1 MF :8 FS:DW: 2 S:DW: 1 OHSP: 1 LAP: 1

RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 5, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 2
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Great quest you have written Mino! I really like the resistance potion idea.

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!