v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Character Movement

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Character Movement

Post by fiernaq »

Is there any chance that you could make it so that the player is always exactly in the same spot on the screen? In other words, make the maps scroll to black in some areas (or crosshatch or some other off-map indicator) so that the player character is always in the same location? It would make controlling the char much easier as you would always know which direction you're going and you'd never wind up near the edge of a map trying to reach the edge but your thumb is covering the edge and you can't see that you're running into a tree instead of onto the path to the next map.

This is just one possible solution I've thought of... probably wouldn't fix everything but would certainly help. I'm definitely open to alternative solutions to this problem as well.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
qasur

Re: Controls

Post by qasur »

fiernaq wrote:Is there any chance that you could make it so that the player is always exactly in the same spot on the screen? In other words, make the maps scroll to black in some areas (or crosshatch or some other off-map indicator) so that the player character is always in the same location? It would make controlling the char much easier as you would always know which direction you're going and you'd never wind up near the edge of a map trying to reach the edge but your thumb is covering the edge and you can't see that you're running into a tree instead of onto the path to the next map.

This is just one possible solution I've thought of... probably wouldn't fix everything but would certainly help. I'm definitely open to alternative solutions to this problem as well.
I like this idea I think. I tried the on-screen controls, but I think I found myself running under the controls too often. I would be a definite change in how the game works/plays, but it's a good idea I think.
chaosrunner87
android_version: 4.0

Post by chaosrunner87 »

I second the idea if such things are relevant to the chances of implementation. At least make it optional under the preferences/settings screen.
Lvl 11
HP 31
Attack Cost 2
AC 107%
AD 16-18
BC 15%
Fine Green Hat, Superior Hard Leather Armour, Jewel of Fallhaven, Crude Wooden Buckler, Ring of Damage +4, Snakeskin Boots, Gloves of Swift Attack, Troublemaker's Ring, Unarmed
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Adding this to the discussion list for the next meeting.
Ihminen
android_version: 4.0

Movement: Keeping character center of screen.

Post by Ihminen »

Moving edge of maps is hard as finger is in the way. Quick slots arent making it easier.

Idea is keep character center of the screen and move background as you move. This could be option to select.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Movement: Keeping character center of screen.

Post by fiernaq »

+1

Pretty sure this is one of the many alternative options to make movement easier that have already been suggested but I'll still +1 it every time it comes up :P
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

+1

Fleeing a battle when you're above in the map (for example, fighting the northernmost arulir), the combat text gets in the way
staying in the center of the screen would prevent that
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
Necrite
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Character Movement

Post by Necrite »

Since this is linked from the sticky list, I figured I'd bump this post rather than create a new one.

I had a similar idea for movement, and wanted to share: Invisibly divide the screen into a 3x3 grid. Touching the top center section always moves you up, even if you are further up than where you touch, right center moves you east, corners move you diagonally, and so on. I would recommend making this an option, like the existing d-pad, not a replacement for the existing controls.

What say you? Does it sound good?
Lvl: 25, XP: 274711, Gold: 13236, RoLS: 1, SR 97,
HP: 61, AC: 175%, AD: 20-31, ECC: 15%, CM: 2.0, BC: 55%, DR: 3
Necrite
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Necrite »

For me, this wouldn't solve my biggest issue with movement: Even when I'm positive that my finger is perfectly in line with the character, I tend to veer off to the side, causing my to run circles around enemies I'm trying to attack, or to charge ones I'm trying to avoid.

My solution, that I posted in another thread, is to split the screen into a 3x3 grid. Touching the north quadrant makes you go north, the northeast quadrant makes you go northeast, etc, regardless of where the character is relative to the touch.
Lvl: 25, XP: 274711, Gold: 13236, RoLS: 1, SR 97,
HP: 61, AC: 175%, AD: 20-31, ECC: 15%, CM: 2.0, BC: 55%, DR: 3
japakazole
android_version: 1.6 - Donut

Re: Character Movement

Post by japakazole »

I like the quadrent idea, combined with centering of the character, this is a great idea. I would also like to see a faint footprint trail behind the character as he moves. It makes it a bit easier to navigate in dark areas, something like the last three tiles have footprints on them