MUSIC?

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: MUSIC?

Post by twirlimp »

avgvst wrote:Downloaded the game earlier today and noticed the silence.

I composed an RPG soundtrack for projects just like this. You guys can totally use it, if you think the quality is sufficient and it fits the atmosphere of the game.

http://opengameart.org/content/generic- ... soundtrack

Not sure if you can get a software synthesizer running on Android, but if that's a possibility, the file-size would only be around 75kb. I'd have to edit the instrumentation for that, but it wouldn't take much work.
A software synthesizer is exactly what I thought of when I saw the thread title "MUSIC?" under the Miscellaneous Ideas section.

I mean old JRPG managed to make great soundtracks with 5MB fileize in the 90's so I think we should be able to do the same (at least!)

Edit:I found this post that references the MediaPlayer class and provides a short example for playing MID files.

I checked out the music that avgvst posted and the uncompressed size is 76KB for all the MID files.
I personally think they're great and have a nice funk to them. There's definitely distinct character and they're thematically on-point.

I'll open a new branch later to play around with this and see what's possible.

Edit2: More information.

The guy concludes by saying:
Update:

Personally I solved the dynamic midi generation issue as follows: programmatically generate a midi file, write it to the device storage, initiate a mediaplayer with the file and let it play. This is fast enough if you just need to play a dynamic midi sound. I doubt it’s useful for creating user controlled midi stuff like sequencers, but for other cases it’s great.
ideas plox