v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

New characters for old players

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

New characters for old players

Post by fiernaq »

I'm fairly certain that the vast majority of older players still enjoy creating new characters... either to test out new features that weren't around before or just to try new builds or visit different sides of the storyline. The current problem is that you can spend days, weeks, months... looking for legendary/extraordinary items and gaining boatloads of experience on your main character but if any changes happen and you do decide to start a new character you're back at square 1 with nothing. My suggestion may be complex to code (and not terribly high on the importance list) but will, I think, help ease these problems.

Let's say that your main char is named Bob and he has a RoLS, the GoLF, the ElyR, and is level 100. To create a new character, you must go back to Mikhail (the dad) and talk to him. One of the dialog choices would be

You - "Father, I must've missed a clue somewhere in my search. Let me go back to the beginning and have another shot at it and I'm sure I could find my brother."
Mikhail - "You're certain that this clue is back at the beginning and not somewhere still in your future?"
You - "Yes, I need to go back over everything I've already done."
OR
You - "No, on second thought, I think I can still figure it out."

If you say "No" then dialog ends and you can move on. If you say yes the save game dialog is brought up forcing you to save the game. Then the create character window appears with the name of your original character already filled in although it is suffixed by " the 2nd" or " the 3rd" etc. and greyed out so that it cannot be changed. Once you are in the game you can go to the box in the corner of the room of your house and you'll see all of your legendary/extraordinary (non-unique) items but you will be unable to pick them up until you've reached the level at which you gained them on your main character. So if you gained the RoLs at lvl 30 and the ElyR at lvl 38 you would be unable to pick them up until level 30 and level 38 respectively. XP and Gold gains will both be boosted significantly (20%? 50%? Needs balanced. Possibly a visible actor condition as a reminder.) until you reach the level of your main character at which point they would go back to normal.

You could still manually create a new account which would not provide those benefits but which would also allow you to choose a new character name and not force " the 38th" as a suffix :roll:

This would allow old players who just want to rebuild their main character slightly differently to do so without having to regrind all the gear and levels (as much... there would still be some work involved :D)
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: New characters for old players

Post by nether »

Reminds me of reincarnation from DDO. Great idea.
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

Good idea, would be good to have when you become bored with your character or when a skill gets tuned down (like what happened to the criticals) - that way you can start over. I for myself wouldn't mind the new grinding hours, if I just could have my Legendaries back ;)
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

:lol:

or just have them in your box at home when you start any new game?

:D

(if you found one / some of them)

if that is too excessive - maybe if you beat the game...
your "new game+" would have them in there?
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
nether

Post by nether »

I think you should be rewarded with extra skill points, but it should take longer to level up this time around. If that makes any sense.
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

makes sense to me...

I know I will play through twice,
once for Nor City & again for Feygard.

(love the avatar, btw!)

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I like this idea, especially with trying to get the L&E items for my newer game. Its also too bad one build can't share items with another.

Example: Game Save 1 character places an extra RoLS in the basket at home. Then Game Save 2 character finds it in their basket at home. Of course, there would have to be a way to make it impossible to leave boss drops in the basket, so you don't end up with doubles of those, especially with the upcoming dual-weapon skills.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

So far I have created 3 new characters trying out different stuff, none of which have made it past level 10. So I wouldn't consider my thought on this as having too much validity as I am still considered a "new player".

With the game being in beta there is always going to be new stuff to try out. Seasoned players will always have something to look forward to that they would like to try...heck, some new players might want to restart after the update in order to try out new features. I think that is one main reason why my builds have not made it that far yet is waiting till the next update before I put a lot of dedication to 1 character.

With all that being said I do not think that this idea sounds plausible. I wouldn't really see any need in having this option available because if I wanted to try out new features I should just create a new save game slot. I'm not saying that the idea is a bad one, just that I do not find it very appealing for me IMHO ;)
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

if I know Oskar, he will shoot it down anyway...

:lol:
"Embrace the Shadow"

nether

Post by nether »

nyktos wrote:
(love the avatar, btw!)
:twisted:

Just saw this, thanks Nyktos :D