v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Combat log

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Gecq
android_version: 4.0

Combat log

Post by Gecq »

I am sorry if this should have been discussed before but I haven't found anything with a quick search.

I am really impressed by the effort you guys put into the quest log. Really nice and a lot of work (writing) it would seem to me.

Which brings me to my idea. You are generating text for the combats which flows in the top of the screen. So the material is already there. Is it possible to save this text automatically to a combat log? Why? If a character dies surprisingly you have no idea what happened - bang - you wake up in the last bed you were sleeping in. For tactical analysis it would be useful to see how much damage that last encounter dealt etc. And more generally it would be interesting to see how my hit ratio is (i.e. Do I miss often? Should I raise my AC%?), how much damage I am dealing against those spiders or these Spiked Izeghs etc. (Is their DR too high for my damage? Should I raise AD?). As far as I see it this should be a feature that would be easy enough to be implemented because you would just have to record the text info already generated. Of course there would be the question of storage capacity but you could limit the info stored to x lines of text and cut from above?

A nice-to-have exension of such a feature would perhaps include the record of active status effects inflicted on the character and his opponents and the combat stats (those which you can see if you click on "info" or on the adversary's icon).

I am not a software developer so if I am overseeing some complexity here, please forgive me, and accept my proposal as what it is - an idea.

Great game everyone!
Last edited by Gecq on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Re: Combat log

Post by Samuel »

I really really like this suggestion. As Gecq points out most of the code is there already.
It would be nice to analyze all the combat data and not only the last 3 lines of it.

Remaining:
a) Where to put the combat log? (IMO: Clicking the current combat history could pop up the detailed history; The chest could list an additional icon beside the map and the quickslots)
b) How many lines to store and would the savegame hold the data. (IMO: 50 and no need to save the data.)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Gecq

Post by Gecq »

Thank you for your feedback and support.
It is depending on playing style of course but I see a disadvantage to your proposal for the access position of such a log. I usually play with the chest expanded (see image below) in order to reach the quickslots more easily. If there was another icon I would have to collapse this setup more often when moving in the general direction "of the chest".

An alternative position would be a button in the Overview menu. For example below or above the Level-Up button.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

+1 nice idea !

Samuel how about:
a) just put one more choice in quest log screen "combat history"
b) no need to save and 50 line in fine
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

AWESOME IDEA! Would love to see this added to the game. It would make it easy for players to see how often they Miss, are missed (dodged), how hard they are hit, see how they died (oh no got critical'd), and more.

Great suggestion! This IMHO should be added
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

This is on the list of things we are going to do. I remember discussing it in a meeting. After a quick search Nyktos even mentions it here.
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

sdevaney wrote:This is on the list of things we are going to do. I remember discussing it in a meeting. After a quick search Nyktos even mentions it here.
Excellent, thanks for info.
Sarumar

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

@Gecq... The quick slots don't go away when you close the chest .. You only need it open to toggle then on or off.

The latest combat log, swing by swing, would be nice to open..the chest is a as good a place as any to put it.

You full combat stats could be a new tab next to Skills and Inventory.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

I didn't realize the combat log wasn't being saved anywhere, but something like that would be awesome... Some thoughts that probably aren't original, but would be great... I liked the idea of adding an option to the chest as well, or even a static "last three lines" at the top of the screen that was expandable.

1. Ability to view a larger version of the combat log. "Whoa, what just happened?" would be easier to answer if you could click the log and open a larger, scrollable version.
2. Show looted items in log, even when in "show short notification" of "display monster loot", to avoid having to check the inventory when trying to get a quest drop. To expand, even color the name of the item if it's exceptional/legendary/quest.
3. Attack type. This has been mentioned separately, and is probably minor, but having an "attack type" for the log would be nice. Wasp "stings" you for x damage, snake "bites you" for x damage... I realize that you'd probably have to add a column to the monster list and add a type for each (or default to "hit" if null) but still.
4. Alternate the background color of every other line for easier reading?
5. Colored actions. Red hurt, blue healed, white missed... Obvious discussion points here, but you get the idea.
Lvl: 30, XP: 478811, Gold: gone, RoLS: 1, RoL: 0
HP: 83, AC: 246%, AD: 20-24, AP: 3/12, ECC: 23%, CM: 3, BC: 50%, DR: 0
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

Stompp wrote:I didn't realize the combat log wasn't being saved anywhere, but something like that would be awesome... Some thoughts that probably aren't original, but would be great... I liked the idea of adding an option to the chest as well, or even a static "last three lines" at the top of the screen that was expandable.

1. Ability to view a larger version of the combat log. "Whoa, what just happened?" would be easier to answer if you could click the log and open a larger, scrollable version.
2. Show looted items in log, even when in "show short notification" of "display monster loot", to avoid having to check the inventory when trying to get a quest drop. To expand, even color the name of the item if it's exceptional/legendary/quest.
3. Attack type. This has been mentioned separately, and is probably minor, but having an "attack type" for the log would be nice. Wasp "stings" you for x damage, snake "bites you" for x damage... I realize that you'd probably have to add a column to the monster list and add a type for each (or default to "hit" if null) but still.
4. Alternate the background color of every other line for easier reading?
5. Colored actions. Red hurt, blue healed, white missed... Obvious discussion points here, but you get the idea.
+1 i like to see this in game !
Sarumar