Idea to reduce waits for future updates

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Idea to reduce waits for future updates

Post by Mad P »

A small figure made her way onto the slopes of mount Blackwater.
The snow wasn't fresh anymore, and her boots made almost no imprint on it.
Huge wyrms and giant snowmen came and went, but they didn't notice her - or found out far too late.

She reached the isolated settlement in a rather pensive mood, and walked the long corridors she had done so many times before without noticing anything.
She didn't even think about the portal colours, but made her way to the hall where she should meet the annoying priest Throdna again.

"Ah, our little heroin comes to visit us, as I knew you would. No doubt you will do your dreaming again, so we can learn what we must. Please hand over the gold and the mushrooms, and walk to the bed over there"
"Here you go"
She stepped in the bed, and suddenly found herself in a strange desert. It was really hot with all her winter clothes still on, but she saw a cave in a nearby rock formation.
It would be cooler there...
-------------------------
Now this is the basic idea: in between the (mayor) updates, release some mini quests as "dreams" that can be accessed at a certain place, and for a certain price.
The hero can experience something new (scenery, monsters, items) and when the quest is finished (or the hero dies) he wakes up in the bed at that place.
The quests can be developed by everone who is willing to participate in writing dialogue, scripts and making maps, and because the quest is "standalone" it doesn't necessarily has to fit in the currently known AT world - but it should fit in the AT atmosphere.
After some quality control a new "dream" could then be released to the community - even if the mayor update is still months away.

Good idea? Feedback?
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Idea to reduce waits for future updates

Post by Sarumar »

hmm... if you change one word you can count me in.

... dreams to the nightmares... :twisted:
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
kofikingston
android_version: 3.0

Post by kofikingston »

Good idea shared sir, and pretty additive suggestion to be talk...
Looking forward on your thread sir,

Last edited by kofikingston on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

A good and interesting idea for a quest in general, but the concept that it would reduce future wait for content is flawed. Content creation is what takes the longest time to complete between updates. Tying things into the world and story is really just a small part of the whole content creation process. To do what your suggesting still requires maps, monsters, statistics, items, dialogue, basically everything that a quest in the normal world would need just without tying the individual quest story and world together.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

There was an idea suggested by Scottdog and further explained by Tek, of releasing less content more often (which Tek said is called an agile release).

As far as things to do between updates,I liked the arena idea because it would still require the same work as any other side quest, but once done would act as an endless dungeon so it wouldn't need any further work once it was added (ideally).

But in the meantime, for those who don't want to grind for L&E items or just grind for level ups, check out Sarumar's AT decathlon topic in the Fallhaven Tavern thread for some fun games based around existing content. In fact, I'd say he's already come up with quite a lot to do between updates. You can keep trying to reach first place.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Mad P
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mad P »

sdevaney wrote:A good and interesting idea for a quest in general, but the concept that it would reduce future wait for content is flawed. Content creation is what takes the longest time to complete between updates. Tying things into the world and story is really just a small part of the whole content creation process. To do what your suggesting still requires maps, monsters, statistics, items, dialogue, basically everything that a quest in the normal world would need just without tying the individual quest story and world together.
Ah well, that's disappointing... :(
Don't know the inner workings, but I had hoped the mechanism allowed some self-contained add-on quests or something...

But hey, if I can get some story/dialogue together, and someone is willing to make a beautiful desert, maybe we can make Sarumar's nightmare after all!
Still playing this game at level 5, collected all extraordinaries, now some precious ring would be useful...

Lvl: 5, XP: 190789
GoLF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, ChaR: 1, ShaF: 1
Gold:28158, HP: 66, AC: 191%, AD: 10-17, AP: 3, CC: 0%, CM: 0, BC: -10%, DR: 0
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Mad P wrote:But hey, if I can get some story/dialogue together, and someone is willing to make a beautiful desert, maybe we can make Sarumar's nightmare after all!
I was thinking about putting a large desert southwest of Prim and Stoutford....
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Tomcat wrote:
Mad P wrote:But hey, if I can get some story/dialogue together, and someone is willing to make a beautiful desert, maybe we can make Sarumar's nightmare after all!
I was thinking about putting a large desert southwest of Prim and Stoutford....
... yesss... i can see it. It is endless desert... no way out (without finding and defeating some rare monster)...
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Meirerion
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Meirerion »

Sarumar wrote: ... yesss... i can see it. It is endless desert... no way out (without finding and defeating some rare monster)...
I lIke the idea of a desert. Many dungeons, many evil creatures lurking under the sand. Many traps (tiles when walked on teleport you to a small dungeon full of monsters and with one exit).

Maybe even a small towny next to an oasis where people try their best to survive in this rough environnement. Or maybe a small empire which you can help to rise and it could become a new entity in the political plots (Feygard, the Shadow, maybe Elythara if my quest'd been received).

The desert is a good idea and as soon as i've finished the Assassin's Den i'll work on this idea. Who's in?
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

I already finished some quest dialogue that deals with an oasis and desert location.