v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Xul'viir

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
r0tt3nj4ck
android_version: 4.3

Re: Xul'viir

Post by r0tt3nj4ck »

No i dont mean to the detriment of its fan base, i mean the joke is that most games require such a drawn out quest line for its huge ultimate sword. i rather like that the best weapons in the game are sort of the anti-hero's of the weapon world.
My criticism begins when dialogue would have you believe there is some reward coming for destroying this "ancient, evil power"
It furthers when it costs 3 Oegyth crystals to produce
It culminates in a weapon that serves no proper benefit at any level.

I have played and played and played new toons. each branch heads off on a new tangent to attempt a new play style ( currently polishing my roadmap for a fortitude/regen/wep acc build)
As mentioned in other threads i even have a toon with all of every skill.
I have never been drawn away from the lifestealing rapier. No other weapon makes sense to this game. damage range or attack chance dont play near the role that healing yourself on each hit and each kill, and with a 3600 gold necklace from the (armory?) in Fallhaven you get 3x attacks per turn. even with unlimited lodar shadow pots i dont see a point in playing with 2h weapons at all. if you are gonna make the switch from a single 1h wep, the 2h rep had better be epic.

I will however, concede that i do not know everything, i do not play my game ( no matter how many toons i roll ) like everyone else, and that as far as i can tell most of the "feedback" on this game is people's personal tastes and not necessarily whats best for the game.

But, on that same tangent, Every hardcore/longterm player and all of you devs know there is no point whatsoever in equipping the 2h sword for gameplay reasons. only for personal choice /aesthetics. and that is my "joke". it costs crystals that already serve a way better function up north, has no benefit for destroying it even though its a drop from the hardest mob ingame, and is basically a pitfall for NEW players, JUST getting it for the first time and expecting that the trip into and back out of that green maze MUST yield some kind of reward other than forbidden potions.

I do agree that its benefits should be masked...

the rapier and the dagger of the shadow priest are both pretty straightforward. you look at the item description and start to put together your strategy. i think this sword does need tweaking but not in any of the ways described. i think the key to unlocking this swords potential lies in adding to the 2h wep skill ^^.....

thoughts?
Click me for a look at my gift to the Andor's Trail Community...
Tristan
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Tristan »

I struggle with the idea that there exists a 'best' combination of equipment. Certainly I think consensus exists that the weapon damage calculations need to be refined, and the anticipated shift to damage being calculated as a percentage of base damage, with the percentage varying for each weapon, will make the choice of weaponry a richer experience. But the premise that there is a best combination of armor, for example, seems flawed to me. Each piece comes with trade-offs. Heavy armor often comes with higher BC than light armor, but light armor typically increases AC compared to the AC penalty delivered by most heavy armor. These differences can be offset by the choices made for level-up & skill bonuses.

If two players of equivalent level can have identical AC & BC by virtue of different choices of armor & bonuses, can one combination truly be deemed superior to the other? This is one of my favorite aspects of AT -- different choices by different players, be they for aesthetic or role-play reasons, don't result in being.'punished' by the game.
Lvl: 408, XP: 1242518785, Gold: 10041116
RoLS: 9, ElyR: 14, RoL: 9, HoF: 9, YN: 8
ChaR: 80, GoLF: 75, ShaF: 80, SRoV: 73, VSH: 84, WMC: 74, GoW: 77, BD: 74, HS: 75, WoB: 78
HP: 5641, AC: 583, AD: 248-267, AP: 4, BC: 521
Act of God
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Act of God »

Horrible question, but how do you trigger the quest where you end up with this sword? I thought I had every finish-able quest done except for the lodar...I have the dark protector as well. Thanks!
Smash
Lvl:54 XP:2908854 Gold:163,443 Hp:112 AC:242 Ad:27-44 Ch:14 BC:135 DR: 5

skills:
WA:2. HH:2 BS:1 CS:2 QL:1 C:1 CE:1 IF:1 R:1 1H:1 LA:1 WS:1
L/E
ROLS:1 OC:6 ChaR:1
Kokuma
android_version: 3.0

Post by Kokuma »

Act of God wrote:Horrible question, but how do you trigger the quest where you end up with this sword? I thought I had every finish-able quest done except for the lodar...I have the dark protector as well. Thanks!
here's the hint: you've got two unfinished quests(excluding the "unfinished-unfinishable" quests) and you don't have the quest item to get the sword.
you have to help out lodar and kill the super-strong boss montster below his hut
Act of God

Post by Act of God »

Got it, did it! Didn't finish the quest yet because I don't know if I want the sword or the crystals. Finally done with all the quests you can finish! Now off to search for legendary's
Smash
Lvl:54 XP:2908854 Gold:163,443 Hp:112 AC:242 Ad:27-44 Ch:14 BC:135 DR: 5

skills:
WA:2. HH:2 BS:1 CS:2 QL:1 C:1 CE:1 IF:1 R:1 1H:1 LA:1 WS:1
L/E
ROLS:1 OC:6 ChaR:1
ionsedfisheads
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by ionsedfisheads »

I love Xul'viir, purely because it fits nicely with my aesthetics. Big, mean and shiney. Yup.

The weapon could do with some adjusting, true, but all the 2h weapons do. Too high AP costs for the damage potential, but have you ever trained with great swords?
Out of pixel land, a Zweihänder weighs over 2 kilos. This doesn't bsound like much, but if you take into account the rotational mass, centripetal force and muscle fatigue... You're in for a winner. And one heck of an arm-ache.
After running around looking like a can o' porky-sweet, you still have to remove that behemoth from the scabbard - usually mounted on your back - and then turn wild swings into accurate attacks. This is - contrary to popular belief - actually quite difficult. So I can see where you could say 2h weapons are ineffective.

But I digress, I like Xul'viir, but like many wish there was a better alternative if you decide to destroy it.
I mock you with my monkey pants!
Also, I liek caek. No, it's not a lie... Maroon. -_-

Shoji
LVL 61 XP 4132831 Gold 26875 HP 149 AC 265 AD 47-64 AP 3 ECC 14 CM 2.0 BC 110 DR 5
RoLS 0 ElyR 0 RoL 0 ChaR 2 GoLF 0 SRoV 0 VSH 0 WMC 0 GoW 2
Kokuma
android_version: 3.0

Post by Kokuma »

ionsedfisheads wrote:I love Xul'viir, purely because it fits nicely with my aesthetics. Big, mean and shiney. Yup.

The weapon could do with some adjusting, true, but all the 2h weapons do. Too high AP costs for the damage potential, but have you ever trained with great swords?
Out of pixel land, a Zweihänder weighs over 2 kilos. This doesn't bsound like much, but if you take into account the rotational mass, centripetal force and muscle fatigue... You're in for a winner. And one heck of an arm-ache.
After running around looking like a can o' porky-sweet, you still have to remove that behemoth from the scabbard - usually mounted on your back - and then turn wild swings into accurate attacks. This is - contrary to popular belief - actually quite difficult. So I can see where you could say 2h weapons are ineffective.

But I digress, I like Xul'viir, but like many wish there was a better alternative if you decide to destroy it.
true.. if you think about how heavy those two-handed swords are, the 2 attacks in one turn IS enough..(and a few even allows 3 hits if you have both points in fast combat, and use Jewel of Fallhaven(or marrowtaint))
but the problem is, the attack damages are underbalanced in my opinion. I mean, you swing a iron stick that's a few kilograms heavy,(and to think our char kills dragons single-handedly, he might even be strong enough to swing around a sword that's as heavy as 10 kilos :D) and the damages dealt doesn't differ that much from a single handed sword. yes, a lot of two handed swords DO have interesting effects(I'm quite happy with the Gleaming two handed sword of ruin.. or something like that that the girl near tiqui gives..dazed and strength? great!), but they drop a bit short..

oh, and about destroying the Xul'villr, we really DO need more than the usual "nothing" to compensate for not getting the sword
microcthulhu

Post by microcthulhu »

Kokuma wrote: oh, and about destroying the Xul'villr, we really DO need more than the usual "nothing" to compensate for not getting the sword
level 2 of the Dark blessing of the Shadow seems quite logical (lvl 1 is for destruction of Dark Protector)
lvl 48
HP 155, AP 12/3, AC 264% AD 29-43 BC 108%/6
WA 2, HH 1, CS 2, cleave 1, IF 3, Regen 1, DboS 1, One-handed sword 1, Shield 1, Light Armor 1, Heavy armor 1, Weapon&Shield 2
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

microcthulhu wrote:level 2 of the Dark blessing of the Shadow seems quite logical (lvl 1 is for destruction of Dark Protector)
But what if you didn't get level 1?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Mayweed
VIP
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Mayweed »

Then you'd get level 1 of course :-)