v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

H.O.T. Items Vs Original set up (Instant heal)

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Tutar
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

H.O.T. Items Vs Original set up (Instant heal)

Post by Tutar »

I've now played version 7.0 for about an hour and got kill three times. This is because with the new sustenance it's much more difficult to keep an eye on the health. IMO the game has completely lost being playable. IMO it's no fun to play the game anymore.

The sustenance system might be closer to real life yet I don't like to play close to real life games. The health system before was just enough. Up until bonemeals can be bought the current game isn't much fun since returning all the time to a bed is rather cumbersome and annoying.

I've not the right to ask for the old system back yet I've the right to stop playing the game until it makes fun again. I hope that anytime in the future (possibly through an option in the settings) this chance is reverted.

Good luck
Tutar
RaptorNXT
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: H.O.T. Items Vs Original set up (Instant heal)

Post by RaptorNXT »

Tutar wrote:I've now played version 7.0 for about an hour and got kill three times. This is because with the new sustenance it's much more difficult to keep an eye on the health. IMO the game has completely lost being playable. IMO it's no fun to play the game anymore.

The sustenance system might be closer to real life yet I don't like to play close to real life games. The health system before was just enough. Up until bonemeals can be bought the current game isn't much fun since returning all the time to a bed is rather cumbersome and annoying.

I've not the right to ask for the old system back yet I've the right to stop playing the game until it makes fun again. I hope that anytime in the future (possibly through an option in the settings) this chance is reverted.

Good luck
Tutar

Guys, with all due repect, while this post may have come strongly, Tutar has a point here - the change in 'Meat' from instant heal to sustenance (and food poisoning) has made it tough for new players. I tried a new game and the first few stages were less fun. I would respectfully request to change Meat, Milk and Bread back to original instant heal...
RaptorNXT

Sentinel
L = 90
AC = 352
AD = 47-63
CHS = 31
CM = 2
ECC = 19%

BC = 143
DR = 11

Shadow Regeneration

WA L2, HH L2, BS L2, CS L2, CL L2, CE L2, IF, Reg, Evsn, OHSP L3, SP L2
Fighting style: W&S L2
Specialization: W&S L1
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

While I do like having a heal over time consumable (and one as plentiful as meat), I can also understand this point of view entirely but rather than changing meat back to instant heal, why not just make level appropriate healing potions more plentiful in areas that currently lack in direct healing items? In other words, add a low level health potion to snakes, dogs, ants, bees, etc. That would solve both issues - allowing us to keep the HoT items while also giving new players the same access to direct healing items that they once had. I too have tried out a new char and it is very difficult. I ended up spending nearly 50% of my play time sitting in a corner waiting for health to regen so I could go back out and kill the monsters blocking my path back to the nearest bed.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I agree that the beginning of the game is getting to hard.
IMHO, challenge & required grinding should raise linearly or exponentially with the player's field of action (number of viable world map areas), not require to waste the first few hours grinding, then passing through the first half of the game with little to no challenge. It will disappoint new players, and potentially drive them away from an otherwise great and rather well balanced game.
I think there's an ongoing initiative to rebalance the beginning area, including adding more low-to-mid level quests, that will give good XP as rewards, helping to progress through the first levels faster. If you have ideas for some, and are willing to give the time and effort required to make it real, DO IT ! Oskar and the rest of the team are having a really hard time finding content creators. If you need help on that, ask in the forums, check out the wiki, or PM me. It's not hard, but it takes time and dedication to make some quest more complicated than "Go buy bread, and bring it back" come to life as polished game content.

I like the fact that animals drop meat, and that raw meat has risk of food poisoning and H.o.T. It makes sense to me.
However, giving the player the ability to cook his meat (in a house, or a pub for example), or having cheap access in Crossglen to useful potions (sell 3 raw meat, buy two potions) that give 2/3rd of the meat's total HP instantly would help balance this.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Sherfox
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sherfox »

However, giving the player the ability to cook his meat (in a house, or a pub for example), or having cheap access in Crossglen to useful potions (sell 3 raw meat, buy two potions) that give 2/3rd of the meat's total HP instantly would help balance this.
I like this idea. Cooked meat should lose the chance of getting poisoned and add instant heal, maybe less than raw meat over times adds?
Lvl44 XP1.596.357 Gold15094 HP105 AP3/12 AC252% AD30-47 BC124% DR5
IF3 CS2 EV1 BS1 D1 OHSP2 HAP1 FS:DW2

working on taunt.
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

The XP rewards from quests have been increased by a lot, there is not much grinding involved early unless you are skipping / missing quests.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I've also just started a new character, and the initial game is much harder than it was. Meat is useful if you can stand in a corner somewhere and wait, but that's not always possible, and even if it is, it's boring. You can go to Fallhaven and sell meat to buy potions of health, but a minor potion of health costs almost as much as the selling price of one piece of meat. Gold is very valuable early on in the game, and it's not really worth it (I want that JoF!).

So here's my proposal. Leave meat as it is. Add a "broth of health" to the inventory of the Potion merchant, that restores 15 HP. To get one Broth of health you need to supply one piece of meat and two insect shells (which I don't think are used for anything at the moment), and a nominal amount of gold (say 4gp). The first time the player brings the required items could be made into another small quest, like "Taste is everything". This would add another small quest, would provide a way to get instant healing early on in the game, without spending huge amounts of gold, and would also provide more purpose to the slaughter of large numbers of innocent animals and insects than just simply gaining XP :D. I think it would have little or no effect on the later parts of the game, because beyond a certain level nobody is going to grind for meat and insect shells, and then travel all the way to Fallhaven, just to get something that restores 15 HP.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
RaptorNXT

Post by RaptorNXT »

rijackson741 wrote:I've also just started a new character, and the initial game is much harder than it was. Meat is useful if you can stand in a corner somewhere and wait, but that's not always possible, and even if it is, it's boring. You can go to Fallhaven and sell meat to buy potions of health, but a minor potion of health costs almost as much as the selling price of one piece of meat. Gold is very valuable early on in the game, and it's not really worth it (I want that JoF!).

So here's my proposal. Leave meat as it is. Add a "broth of health" to the inventory of the Potion merchant, that restores 15 HP. To get one Broth of health you need to supply one piece of meat and two insect shells (which I don't think are used for anything at the moment), and a nominal amount of gold (say 4gp). The first time the player brings the required items could be made into another small quest, like "Taste is everything". This would add another small quest, would provide a way to get instant healing early on in the game, without spending huge amounts of gold, and would also provide more purpose to the slaughter of large numbers of innocent animals and insects than just simply gaining XP :D. I think it would have little or no effect on the later parts of the game, because beyond a certain level nobody is going to grind for meat and insect shells, and then travel all the way to Fallhaven, just to get something that restores 15 HP.
Brilliant Idea, rijackson! :idea: :idea: :!: :!:
RaptorNXT

Sentinel
L = 90
AC = 352
AD = 47-63
CHS = 31
CM = 2
ECC = 19%

BC = 143
DR = 11

Shadow Regeneration

WA L2, HH L2, BS L2, CS L2, CL L2, CE L2, IF, Reg, Evsn, OHSP L3, SP L2
Fighting style: W&S L2
Specialization: W&S L1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

The H.O.T. items are fantastic... but to a player who is just starting out they can be very frustrating.

+1 to rijackson's idea!

PK17: You are right the XP for doing quests has increased a lot... and it is possible to gain levels a lot quicker, but the problem after that is that you still need to get stronger gear to move onto the next area but the amount of gold you gain isn't that great.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

I will add this to the meeting. I think we can come up with a good compromise.