Lack of game lore/ history/ NPC backgrounds

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
zafer
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Lack of game lore/ history/ NPC backgrounds

Post by zafer »

AT is a great RPG, IMO greatest on Android platform.
I have been playing this game for last one month and the most obvious of the few shortcomings the game has still irritates me.
Game play is good. Skill system is good enough and character development is excellent, BUT
Many NPCs, townsfolk etc lack plausible explanation for their behavior and little is disclosed about their history by in game messages, quest logs etc. Apart from main story of finding Andor, there aren't as many background stories/ quests.
For example what kind of creatures are Iqhans, Gornauds etc?
How locations like Iqhan caves, gar caves came about? (What is meant by WP by the way?)
What is the history of continued mistrust between BMV and Prim?
Add to these many bosses which are not part of any quests. I believe story telling is as important for an RPG as character development and combat system are. If you dont believe me, imagine Elder Scrolls series of games without all those history books.
And, yes I know this has been raised before in a different context but there the emphasis was more on players telling their story. It was more like fan fiction in that thread rather than an attempt at creating game history.
If a community effort is needed, I can put up my two cents, but I am afraid my English is not good enough (It is fourth language to me where I live). Players, developers and community members I am eagerly awaiting your responses.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Lack of game lore/ history/ NPC backgrounds

Post by ace »

hello zafer, well I want to tell you that I'm working on a book which will tell the history of AT's mysterious world. but it is not an easy task so its taking some time. and in this book you will find things and creatures explained and also how all this begins(here I'm using scientific and religious explanation so as to relate to real life) and I'm trying to make it as interesting as possible.
but if anyone got some ideas please share with me either by PM or here.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
zafer

Post by zafer »

Thanks ace. Nice to hear that there is some hope for story seekers like me. Otherwise I have run through different threads and all I see is new quest, equipment, maps and bugs related posts.
zafer

Post by zafer »

Made full use of holiday. Cleared spider cave, BMV-Prim, Remgard, Lodar's hideout all on the same day with a 40 something level PC. Haven't had enough time to post.
lakra

Post by lakra »

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4982

You could check out my try of creating some lore for the game. I know most of the stuff isn't anchored in the game, but I tried to explain some of the background, like the conflict of Nor City and Feygard and why the villages seem to work more or less independent, even if they are occupied by Feygard.
lakra
Lvl: 76 XP: 7890637 AP: 12/3 HP: 249 AC: 394% AD: 58-65 CHS: -29 BC: 140% DR: 3
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 1 MC: 1 CS: 2 CE: 1 IF: 5
Reg: 1 WP:Da: 3 WP:1S: 1 AP:L: 3 FS:DW: 2 S:DW: 1
RoLS: 1
Status Effects: SR
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

zafer wrote:Many NPCs, townsfolk etc lack plausible explanation for their behavior and little is disclosed about their history by in game messages, quest logs etc. Apart from main story of finding Andor, there aren't as many background stories/ quests.
Check out some created story-line here -> http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ory#p50460, but this is not all of it of course. We meet many people and creatures, of all kinds and of all places. However, the little we know serves as a skeleton (preface). The game is in the works and like you have probably read already..be patient. Great game, great story, but it does lack some things. Here's a list of my thoughts.

Integrated (not read just on the forum) story-line of:
-individual settlements such as goblin mountain, several existing caves like the one north of Loneford, black water mountain settlements, etc.
-the relationships and dynamics between all these settlements and the occult/shadow (not just the largest cities like Feygard and Nor City).
-individual figures like Valcor (previously mentioned), that are or used to be very influential. Ex: Lord Geomyr, influential families described in the given history.

All suggestions from many people, not just me.

Here's one from me: let's have a local Crossglen Historian that can give background and necessary quest information. He/she can reveal this information only once you have passed a certain game mile marker (level, area uncovered, beaten a certain boss, etc.).
Voom
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

This last point was proposed in the form of Mikhail, which would give the player an incentive to go home every once in a while. I believe that it would give depth to both Mikhail and the game world, but there's a lot of writer work behind this.

Your other points are also valid too...
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Zukero wrote:This last point was proposed in the form of Mikhail
Mikhail is a good idea. Very interesting.
Voom
Moov

Post by Moov »

If we can incorporate the book being written in to the game I think that would be a good way to slowly reveal the history of the world. The book of course will be spread out through the land you would find pages here and there that pertain certain information about the area and peoples.
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Moov wrote:If we can incorporate the book being written in to the game I think that would be a good way to slowly reveal the history of the world. The book of course will be spread out through the land you would find pages here and there that pertain certain information about the area and peoples.
I like that idea, there are already many pages lying around the map.

Your name is backwards.. :geek:
Voom