v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Andor's Trail Project Meeting #10

Official news about Andor's Trail.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Andor's Trail Project Meeting #10

Post by sdevaney »

Andor’s Trail Project: Meeting #10
2012-08-12
Present: Scott Devaney, Stephen Stalnaker, Matthew White

1. Follow-up from last meeting:

Public Hangout, thoughts?
Need an agenda for future public meetings. Review previous meeting notes?
(mw: takenotes during the meeting- on topics to discuss with the public during the next hangout)

2. Completed since the last meeting:

All food now heal double the amount of HP compared to before, but do so over time. Potions still heal instantaneously.

Changed unarmed attack cost from 3AP to 4AP.

Shop inventories are consistent. (restocked whenever the map respawns)

Bonemeal merchant sells 70 at a time.

Town names (and some notable places) shown on worldmap.

Version changed to v0.7.0dev

Regeneration skill only has effect when not directly adjacent to a monster.

Toolbox moved to lower right hand corner, replaces old “toggle quickitems” button.
Combat bar is now animated

Savegame size reduced from ~70kb to ~15kb (will speed up a lot of things)

First version of pathfinder (with constant memory usage! only about 8kb memory usage, without any reallocations being done!), that can make monsters move towards the player. “Protect the spawnarea”/”help others” movement types.

3. Things that are being worked on:

Future quests, along with current quest elements that can be tied in with existing locations and NPC's. (pending Oskar's approval/suggestions, and additionally submitted content ~ SCS)
2012-08-09: Oskar approves. :)

Dev Thread!
-Matthew-
A place for forum members to post new quests! (Encourage commited contribution, rather than allow the posting of what forum members would like to see implemented in the game. A type of “Communtiy Chest” pool of contribution forum topic. ~ SCS)
Format a post for the users to complete / fill in the blanks
What we are all working on...so no one duplicates

Early Quests;
-Matthew-
Dog catcher: tutorial quest - targeting

Oromir: hides from wife / future quest
Leta: found her husband / lied to hide him

Tired Farmer is busy / needs help
(all beatles, ants & wasps?)

Different Git branches:
Oskar: I have 5 different parallel Git branches that I’m working on with right now, that are separate from the master branch. This means that these 5 feature branches may or may not be included in the release, depending on how we feel they are “completed” or not. Having these things as different branches allows us to either include or exclude each feature separately from the release, depending on how well we feel it works.

The branches are:

“conditions”: display magnitude on actor condition icons (& animations for icons)
- Looks good, some people will complain about rounds not displayed.

“item categorization”: categorize each item into a more specific category. Includes specialization and fighting-style skills. Also includes the changes to food being regenerative, since it is dependent on the item categorization.
- Need to make a list of all items in their categories.

“pathfinder”: monsters move during combat, depending on aggression types for each monster class.
- Monsters could lose a bit of AC in the beginning areas.

“v0.6.12 maps”: the new Lodar* and road* maps for v0.7.0.
- New maps look much better especially new Lodar area.

“worldmap”: display in-game worldmap based on automatic screenshots from sd-card.
-See about releasing early before 0.7.0

For each branch, what do we have left to do until we can actually release this as v0.7.0? Obviously, we have a lot left to do on the v0.6.12 maps branch, to adjust the monsters and all, but the other branches - what are the must-haves before release? (Followup discussion would be beneficial, as many contributions were made.)

4. Discussion of some forum threads/posts that people have found interesting, or want clarification on, or maybe a question answered:

Potion/Food issues: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1896 (Currently being worked on, with new implementations already in place/development ~ SCS)

Option to allow users to choose english language in game.

Proposed d-pad changes: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1908
TODO: Create a googlecode issue about those changes

Status Potions - http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1921
Actor Condition Resistance over Time, like how food is Heal over Time?
Weak Antidote heals Poison & Has a 50% Chance to prevent it for 6 rounds.
TODO: Good idea, some small ~10% chance.

Brainstorm:

~ Polish the “Flow” of the quests & game (now or later?)
how much XP per quest?
how strong are the monsters vs their location? (Radial in circumference to the Hero’s point of origination, such as home, or as following the timeline of developement implenmentation, as is currently experienced? ~ SCS)
how hard are the quests vs how rewarding?

grinding 3-12 &16-20 & 28-32?
lvl3 -l lvl12~~~running between the first two towns
(giving you something to do as you run circles about the first few grind spots)
TODO: Suggest which quests to change the exp reward in, and to how much the rewards should be. Someone could help with this!
TODO: Add more beginner quests for the next release. Summarize them in the forum post.

~ Shadow Regen - Works in Combat? Yes, we’ll keep it this way. The people that have gained that ability have certainly earned it :)

~ a dedicated permanent line for activity?
maybe you can scroll up & see past activity
option to hide permant text box
TODO: Oskar: Check if its possible to animate both the expansion of box and the animation when a new line appears.
TODO: Check scrolling options.

~ High Level Food - Steak sustenance x5
(add benefitial Actor Condition?)

~ add text above hero icon when it highlights (level up)
example: [LV+] or [LV UP]
Oskar will check if the implementation allows for it in an easy way.

~ help screen - inform the player that they get skills every 4 levels
(skill icon image and explanation will be added for v0.7)

- - - ( v0.7dev / balance tweak) - - -

~ lower enemies AC to keep movement during combat? - Maybe only adjust starting area if people complain.

~ make a step count?
one round in combat = 6 seconds
standing still for 6 seconds = one round in combat
every player step = one round in combat - Too many ways to "break the system" both healing and negative effects.

good effects for food & drink
really high magnitude on sustenance?
lingering resistance to negative actor conditions?
HP and Actor Conditon Potion / Food?
TODO: Someone could help with suggesting new items and conditions that can be added.

bad effects for food & drink
Intoxication - in game =)
Food Poisoning - In Game =)
Lethargy - eating “rich / fancy food”
Good idea! TODO: Someone could help with suggesting new items and conditions that can be added.

----

Snake Oil Salesman (Rare Spawns - Rare Quests)
Let’s discuss this again in meeting #11.

Man in Jail needs to move, Oromir gets caught...
TODO: Oskar: This is something we’ll most definitely do! We’ll have to make an implementation of the conversation system to allow more other NPCs to be affected than the one you’re currently talking to.
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: Andor's Trail Project Meeting #10

Post by nether »

GI'd like to see the izthiel claws Ans the beetle thingy extract get some type of buff as well. For as late as you get them in the game, they aren't worth the HP. Maybe I could come up with some ideas later. I'll think about food too.

And another thing, I don't know who is who as opposed to names listed except for you because thats an easy guess :lol:
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Great work everybody! Loving what i have seen so far in game.

Started over again, currently at lvl 7. lol Hoping to get away from Crossglen soon.

The new set up for the Maps... ABSOLUTLY PERFECT! :mrgreen:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
nether

Post by nether »

Pyrizzle wrote:#1999

Started over again, currently at lvl 7. lol Hoping to get away from Crossglen soon.

So there's been an update? I didn't get one and I checked the app store.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

nether wrote:

No there has been no update to AT on the google play store sorry.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

nether wrote:

Sorry to get your hopes up. :oops:

There are some major changes coming in the next update!

FANTASTIC CHANGES!

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

nether

Post by nether »

Oh..
Well.
Ok.

T.T

I'll just be here, playing v0.6.11 if you need me... :cry:
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

#3, paragraph 2...I like the idea of organizing the quests like that and have a form that needs to be filled out. However, that can be done for all areas. Pyrizzle already has a sticky to already suggested ideas, and has categorized them into groups. Maybe not only hae a form for additional quests, but also for equipment, skills, content, etc. Those can be additionally broken down with a form for "new issue" and "change issue"...new issue form for something like a new item, or a change issue form for a change to an already existing item.

This would help organize and streamline stuff that is being added and changed for the game, not to mention very easy for the ideas to be kept up with for discussing and deciding on whether the issue is allowed or denied.

This would also be extremely beneficial for having set people that would incorporate the stuff in the game for approved content - if user "xyz" liked implementing quests, and was efficient with getting stuff out, then that would be his job...if user "abc" was good at creating sprites for new items, then that would be his job...etc, etc, etc...I really have no clue on the way things are done now to be honest.

Edit to add: Maybe new ideas should be posted with a poll, and the idea filled in from a template. This would allow for people to vote on if the idea is good or not. Like my most recent crafting post...some people might not like crafting, yet like the approach I was taking to the idea of a way to implement my suggestion. That would help for the dev's to see how popular the idea is with the masses to help sway if they are willing to implement the idea or not...