v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Post by Antison »

Hey all,

With the introduction of the "Better Criticals" and the "More Criticals" skills and the increase of equipped items that have the critical hit & critical hit multiplier attributes, I feel like the game is losing its competitive/challenging nature.
With that said, I propose a cap on both the critical hit chance and critical hit multiplier. I think that the critical hit chance should lay somewhere between 40%-50%, and I would say that 50% is really pushing it. Putting a number on the critical hit multiplier is a lot harder to do seeing as a weaker/lower level character (one with much lower AD) would not benefit as much from a higher multiplier as would a character with a higher AD would. With that said, I think the critical hit multiplier should be capped at somewhere around 4-6.

Please voice your opinion as I am extremely curious as to what others think.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Re: Critical Hit Change & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Post by Mino »

I understand where you're coming from about the gaming becoming too easy after a certain point, but I think that should be up to the player to cap themselves.

If you still want more of a challenge, then don't use the CC & CM skill, or don't use more than 1 or 2 for each. Or don't equip a critical hit weapon. As far as the multiplier, I think it make a bigger difference the less AD you have, since the higher you get, you don't even need the multiplier for a kill.

I also suspect a lot of us are going to put a majority of our skill points into increasing the drop rate for legendary/extraordinary items, especially since the other popular one to increase AP is capped at 2 upgrades.

The other problem for capping the "better criticals" is that there are also equipment that boosts the cc% so it might be difficult to cap at 50% if people keep changing equipment. Unless you mean to cap the increase from the skill at 50%, but they can still add to it from weapons, rings, etc.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Antison

Re: Critical Hit Change & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Post by Antison »

Mino wrote:I understand where you're coming from about the gaming becoming too easy after a certain point, but I think that should be up to the player to cap themselves.

If you still want more of a challenge, then don't use the CC & CM skill, or don't use more than 1 or 2 for each. Or don't equip a critical hit weapon. As far as the multiplier, I think it make a bigger difference the less AD you have, since the higher you get, you don't even need the multiplier for a kill.

I also suspect a lot of us are going to put a majority of our skill points into increasing the drop rate for legendary/extraordinary items, especially since the other popular one to increase AP is capped at 2 upgrades.

The other problem for capping the "better criticals" is that there are also equipment that boosts the cc% so it might be difficult to cap at 50% if people keep changing equipment. Unless you mean to cap the increase from the skill at 50%, but they can still add to it from weapons, rings, etc.
If the cap is 50% and you are at 47% when you equip at item that adds 5%, then the result is only a 3% increase. Very simple.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Critical Hit Chance & Critical Hit Multiplier changes

Post by Sarumar »

tek wrote:Hey all,
Please voice your opinion as I am extremely curious as to what others think.
Good post - i vote no ;) :
-those new shiny items - you can have in later part on the game
-there are really good items that decreased crit chance
-new skills helps to survive in new (harder) version of the game
-please see my signature i just died...... high level and max crit = immortality - not :/
-if monsters can have 100% crit, etc

Anyway good point. I suggest to reduce bonus of more and better critical skills to 15%
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Green
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Green »

I think the critical hit chance can be pumped too high in the beta of the new version thanks to all the crit increasing items.

This worries me a little because if the game is balanced assuming you have a high rate of criticals then anyone who chooses not to maximise that faces a far tougher challenge than intended - and this will count for more when higher level areas are added

Maybe instead of a cap on critical chance, other strategies could be made more appealing - e.g. adding weapons with higher base damage and no critical multiplier, adding shields with great defense and DR but with huge penalties to criticals and so on. That would there would be incentives not to focus on criticals. Currently criticals are head and shoulders above other equipment setups.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Green wrote:I think the critical hit chance can be pumped too high in the beta of the new version thanks to all the crit increasing items.

This worries me a little because if the game is balanced assuming you have a high rate of criticals then anyone who chooses not to maximise that faces a far tougher challenge than intended - and this will count for more when higher level areas are added

Maybe instead of a cap on critical chance, other strategies could be made more appealing - e.g. adding weapons with higher base damage and no critical multiplier, adding shields with great defense and DR but with huge penalties to criticals and so on. That would there would be incentives not to focus on criticals. Currently criticals are head and shoulders above other equipment setups.
I start new character and built it without critical chances. Those new armours with -cc are quite good. I am now BWM (level 18). I will report more when completed storyline.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Antison

Post by Antison »

Green wrote:I think the critical hit chance can be pumped too high in the beta of the new version thanks to all the crit increasing items.

I prefer my "cap" idea, but it is nice to hear that you too have a concern regarding critical hits.
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I think instead of a hard cap, it could be easy enough to cap the levels of both more criticals and better criticals to 5 each.
Lvl: 56, XP: 3,253,356, Gold: 271,111, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1
HP: 50, AC: 231%, AD: 30-31, AP: 3, CC: 30%, CM: 3, BC: 45%, DR: 1
Antison

Post by Antison »

John Brown wrote:I think instead of a hard cap, it could be easy enough to cap the levels of both more criticals and better criticals to 5 each.
That is a good idea too.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

tek wrote:
John Brown wrote:I think instead of a hard cap, it could be easy enough to cap the levels of both more criticals and better criticals to 5 each.
That is a good idea too.
IMO its too late. (version has been published)

IMO introduce very good noncritical weapons would help.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0