v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Weapon- & armour categorization

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Re: Weapon- & armour categorization

Post by Ian »

freanceman wrote:
Ian wrote:I found a new weapon type which hasn't been used so far but it might be useful for the future: a knife

post the picture of your weapon here, so we can see it.
I'm sorry, but a picture of a knife doesn't exist up to now. Oskar also declined the new weapon class because a knife is very similar to a dagger.
We don't need to be so exact with that, right?
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Ian wrote: I'm sorry, but a picture of a knife doesn't exist up to now. Oskar also declined the new weapon class because a knife is very similar to a dagger.
We don't need to be so exact with that, right?
A knife could definitly be catigorized as a type Dagger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

My .02...

I like the idea of weapon proficiencies, but I don't see the point in armor proficiencies. It seems to me that would add unnecessary complication without adding much to game play, other than giving an excuse to boost BC.

As far as implementation, I'd like to see WP kept simple for the player.

If skill points are used, I agree they should be given more often. Minimum levels and prerequisites can be added to existing skills if needed to prevent then from becoming overpowered too early, and lack of proficiency penalties could be used to encourage the use of skill points for WP early on.

If a separate system is used, then I like the idea (from Xero? But simpler) of having WP develop through use, rather than just adding some points to a weapon class you'd like to use. Track total damage done by each weapon type, and if you have enough at your next level up, you get a WP level. If you need a few more points and don't want to wait another level, delay your level up till you have more experience. A separate Proficiencies tab could display your totals, in terms of damage points towards the next WP level.

Either way, I'd like to see the number of WP categories kept small for simplicity.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Wyrmspawn
android_version: 3.0

Post by Wyrmspawn »

That won't be so good. If you had a dagger of the shadow priest and grinded for an ROL for ten levels, you would be getting a huge load of disadvantages. You'd always be better with an original weapon than a new weapon. Which would defeat the purpose of acquiring new weapons.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Post by Fire7051 »

Wyrmspawn wrote:That won't be so good. If you had a dagger of the shadow priest and grinded for an ROL for ten levels, you would be getting a huge load of disadvantages. You'd always be better with an original weapon than a new weapon. Which would defeat the purpose of acquiring new weapons.
So the point here is that you will need to know at level 1 which weapon you would like to use by mid to late in the game or else it is useless. For instance, following the current route I would obtain venemous dagger as my first weapon. A beginner would to sink points into that dagger then get the Flagstone Pride and sink points into that. If you follow this model all the way down then it would make some weapons useless to some characters and you would have to know which weapons and what build to take from the start. I think that it could alienate new players that feel their character is totally useless and therefore quits the game instead of start over.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Fire7051 wrote:
Wyrmspawn wrote:That won't be so good. If you had a dagger of the shadow priest and grinded for an ROL for ten levels, you would be getting a huge load of disadvantages. You'd always be better with an original weapon than a new weapon. Which would defeat the purpose of acquiring new weapons.
So the point here is that you will need to know at level 1 which weapon you would like to use by mid to late in the game or else it is useless. For instance, following the current route I would obtain venemous dagger as my first weapon. A beginner would to sink points into that dagger then get the Flagstone Pride and sink points into that. If you follow this model all the way down then it would make some weapons useless to some characters and you would have to know which weapons and what build to take from the start. I think that it could alienate new players that feel their character is totally useless and therefore quits the game instead of start over.
First, it's impossible to know what the best weapon is going to be, even for a particular build. Not everyone insists on being able to figure out how to make a perfectly optimized character before they choose an RPG.

Second, the proficiency difference between a new weapon type and your trusty old one should not be so high that some extra bonuses aren't worth at least trying out. You start out a little clumsy with it, but within a few levels, of you keep up with it, you're pretty comfortable with it. If it's some kind of disaster to have ”picked the wrong weapon type” at the start, then the system is set up wrong.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
jenisons
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by jenisons »

Great ideas, I like the weapon idea 1, I like the dagger and shortsword type.
"Logic is like a fox knife - those who appeal to it, shall perish by it."
Samuel Butler
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

jenisons wrote:Great ideas, I like the weapon idea 1, I like the dagger and shortsword type.
welcome to the boards!

:D
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Cioumpy
android_version: 2.2

Post by Cioumpy »

I personally think that most of this is exaggerated: if you really want a complete list of weapons and armours categorized with damage and effects, just take a D&D3/Pathfinder manual and you'll find everything there. I agree that the objects should be categorized better, but this game was born with a simple idea, and this way it should stay, IMO. Weapons like flails, whips, chains, and all of this complicated weapons just have side effects that this game can't control (yet!), like tripping, bashing and disarming, so they are unnecessary, for now.

The Light, One-Handed and Two-Handed type of weapons with the Blunt, Slashing and Piercing type of damage are more than enough to satisfy the need of customization of the players (and the developers!). And this already opens new ways like "which type of damage is best suited for a specific type of monsters?", so why be so complicated? And a monster could be just resistant to damage unless the damage is piercing/slashing/blunt.
For supernatural creatures (like demons, elementals, and so on) the type of damage could be holy/unholy/fire/ice/electricity/acid: magical creatures <==> magical weapons... ;)
Randor
Level: 13 (Exp: 40567 / Gold: 644)
HP: 37 --- AP: 3/10
AC: 150% --- DMG: 9-18
Crit Sk: 14 (11%) --- Crit X: 2.0
BC: 30% --- DR: 1