v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

new maps

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: new maps

Post by Tomcat »

One thing I'd like to volunteer to do is to clean up all those dead edges of maps, especially on the older maps.

By dead edges I mean places where there are walkable tiles with no apparent impediment to moving off the edge, but there simply isn't a map change placed there. In spots where there is room, I could add a small map, perhaps mostly forested, with a short dead end path. This could help fill gaps in the world map. In places where there is no room, I could either make a connection, as long a it's not too good a shortcut, or add in a visible obstacle.

I could also fix up any remaining awkward misalignments like east of Iqhan.

Of that's not already being done, of course.

That would give me some practice towards making new maps and getting into making quests.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Tomcat wrote:One thing I'd like to volunteer to do is to clean up all those dead edges of maps, especially on the older maps.

By dead edges I mean places where there are walkable tiles with no apparent impediment to moving off the edge, but there simply isn't a map change placed there. In spots where there is room, I could add a small map, perhaps mostly forested, with a short dead end path. This could help fill gaps in the world map. In places where there is no room, I could either make a connection, as long a it's not too good a shortcut, or add in a visible obstacle.
....that will make AT much better... can you please make this hapen !
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

Tomcat wrote:One thing I'd like to volunteer to do is to clean up all those dead edges of maps, especially on the older maps.

That would give me some practice towards making new maps and getting into making quests.
I like your idea! If you need any help with Tiled, just contact me. ;)

I espacially would like to see that you fix these misalignments. There's also a misalignment at Blackwatermountain (It overlaps the fields). Maybe you can do something there but that's not easy though.

------------------------combined double posts---------------------------------------------
@tomcat:
You have for sure noticed that the Blackwater area is shown in a separate worldmap. Unfortunately, it overlaps the western part of the fields and roadtocarntower. (Only the top of the mountain is a problem though)

What about placing some new maps between wild 17 and blackwatermountain 1? (Maybe three long but not wide maps)? That would move the mountain a bit to the left.
But please don't add anything between crossroads and the Foaming Flask AND the area between Prim and the wild maps (Flagstone). (There already exist some unrealeased maps).

Hope that helps.

Image which explains the problem better:
(Credits of picture go to thegleep).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Ian wrote:

I like your idea! If you need any help with Tiled, just contact me. ;)

I espacially would like to see that you fix these misalignments. There's also a misalignment at Blackwatermountain (It overlaps the fields). Maybe you can do something there but that's not easy though.
Thanks for the offer of help, Ian. I've played with it a bit already. So far so good, but I'll bug you if I get stuck.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that BWM also intrudes into areas reserved for the road to carn tower. I'd have to see at least the footprint of that area to fix it all up right.

EDIT I see you just posted the existing stitched together world map, but would still need to see the unpublished stuff. Unless I turned the long northward run westward. That would blow a few minds!

----------------Combined double posts---------------------------------------------------
Ian wrote:@tomcat:
You have for sure noticed that the Blackwater area is shown in a separate worldmap. Unfortunately, it overlaps the western part of the fields and roadtocarntower. (Only the top of the mountain is a problem though)

What about placing some new maps between wild 17 and blackwatermountain 1? (Maybe three long but not wide maps)? That would move the mountain a bit to the left.
But please don't add anything between crossroads and the Foaming Flask AND the area between Prim and the wild maps (Flagstone). (There already exist some unrealeased maps).

Hope that helps.

Image which explains the problem better:
(Credits of picture go to thegleep).

Seeing the layout here, it seems to me that the BWM fix must involve defining the upper reaches of the river. A mountain lake fed by a magic spring? Definite quest possibilities here!

Inserting maps there will work, yes, but I would need to know just how far to go. Can I see the maps heading south to Stoutford, and possible the road by Flagstone?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm going to send you the latest dev map tomorrow.
What I meant with the "BWM fix": Just insert about 3 maps between wild17.tmx and blackwatermountain1.tmx (I'll also post a picture for better understanding). With the three inserted maps, the coming creator of roadtocarntower will have to work hist way around BWM a bit but at least the fix provides that BWM doesn't overlap the fields.
So, you won't have to create a spring of the river. The road will be built in the future. But upi to now, we haven't found any time for that project.

Do you think, that would fix the problem?
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Ian wrote:I'm going to send you the latest dev map tomorrow.
What I meant with the "BWM fix": Just insert about 3 maps between wild17.tmx and blackwatermountain1.tmx (I'll also post a picture for better understanding). With the three inserted maps, the coming creator of roadtocarntower will have to work hist way around BWM a bit but at least the fix provides that BWM doesn't overlap the fields.
So, you won't have to create a spring of the river. The road will be built in the future. But upi to now, we haven't found any time for that project.

Do you think, that would fix the problem?
Yes, I understand what you mean by inserting maps there .. I actually posted the west-not-north idea before I read your whole post, and was brainstorming some. Silly me :D. Anyways, it should work just fine.

Look forward to seeing the development map .. It should definitely help - thanks!
Norbert
Ian

Post by Ian »

Here's the latest dev map! (Purple areas are also reserved for future maps).
Here's also my suggestion for the BWM fix. The green maps show the changed trail to BWM. You can probably leave out one map which leads to the south. (I just tried to put BWM far more to the south). But I think, 120 tiles leading to the south and 90 tiles leading to the east would be fine. You also don't need to create such large maps: Just create a thin path if you want (10-15 tiles approximately).

I hope, that'll help you. ;)

World Map - *WARNING* It is big and may contain spoilers to future map content
worldmap6.png
BWM fix
worldmap5_BWMfix.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sdevaney on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add spoiler and warning
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm very happy that I can continue my work at Mt. Galmore! :D (The area south to Flagstone).
The area is connected with flagstone0.
I really want that my maps fit into the worldmap because I'd hate to place them in an additional worldmap. The problem is, to the west there's Stoutford and to the east there's another village called Sullengard. Hence, at first, I'm going to create about 4 maps which lead directly to the south. I called them scaryforest because I placed cobwebs above some trees. Yay! They finally exist! :D Another new feature is the mixed woodland. (I haven't cluttered anything so far. That's always my second step of mapmaking).

Do you want me to post every map I'll create for Mt. Galmore?
Do you have some ideas/wishes for these future maps? (There will be many traps). :twisted:

If you're curious, look at my created maps! WARNING: Contains spoilers for future mapmaking!
flagstone0.png
scaryforest0.png
scaryforest1.png
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Ian wrote:I'm very happy that I can continue my work at Mt. Galmore! :D (The area south to Flagstone).
The area is connected with flagstone0.
I really want that my maps fit into the worldmap because I'd hate to place them in an additional worldmap. The problem is, to the west there's Stoutford and to the east there's another village called Sullengard. Hence, at first, I'm going to create about 4 maps which lead directly to the south. I called them scaryforest because I placed cobwebs above some trees. Yay! They finally exist! :D Another new feature is the mixed woodland. (I haven't cluttered anything so far. That's always my second step of mapmaking).

Do you want me to post every map I'll create for Mt. Galmore?
Do you have some ideas/wishes for these future maps? (There will be many traps). :twisted:

If you're curious, look at my created maps! WARNING: Contains spoilers for future mapmaking!
flagstone0.png
scaryforest0.png
scaryforest1.png
I like it so far. The zigzag paths instead of diagonals help set the area apart ... Perhaps that theme could extend throughout?
Norbert
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm sorry but I don't understand the last sentence. (Perhaps that theme could extend throughout).