Alpha version of v0.6.12 available

Discussions of the development process of the game.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Alpha version of v0.6.12 available

Post by oskarwiksten »

It's that time again. A new alpha of Andor's Trail is out for those interested that want to help test the new version before we release it to Google Play (Android Market).

Please note that this is an ALPHA version, which means that there may be several bugs still left in the game. It is therefore very important to SAVE YOUR GAME to some untouched slot and to BACKUP YOUR SAVEGAME before even installing this alpha version. The game might still contain bugs in the storyline or otherwise that are not reversible. Savegames produced by this version might not be readable by the release version.

This version is different from previous releases in that it does not include any new content, but instead focuses on bringing you updates to previous features and some interesting gameplay changes for you to play with.

There are some very interesting changes still in development for the next major version, which will be v0.7.0. However, we figured that some of the features that we had prepared for v0.7.0 are in such a completed state that we might as well release them early as a separate release for the benefit of you players.

The alpha version can be downloaded from the project page:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/downloads/list

Anyway, note that this is an alpha test, so the purpose of releasing this version is that we want your input on things that work and things that does not work. For example, can your old savegames be loaded? Do you get any force-closes?

Major changes:
  • In-game worldmap
  • Actor effects are now triggered every combat round, and not just outside combat.
  • New toolbox in lower-right hand corner.
  • Magnitude displayed on active actor condition icons.
  • Unarmed attack cost changed from 3AP to 4AP.
  • Regeneration skill only applies when not adjacent to a monster.
  • Inventories of vendors are maintained until the map respawns.
  • UI animations (combat bar, toolbox, actor condition icons)
  • Japanese translation started by surgecurrent.
  • Lots of conversation and fixes to misplaced tiles on maps.
  • Lots of bugfixes!
Translation updates:
  • Added Japanese translation! (thanks surgecurrent!)
  • Updated Italian translation. (thanks Joker!)
  • Updated translation tool to accomodate in-place translation of strings. Major thanks to surgecurrent for the code!
  • Updated Russian translation (issues 309, 310, 311, 312) (thanks konstmih!)
Full changelog of things not mentioned above:
Changes:
  • Initial work on item categorization.
  • Trigger actoreffects every combat round.
  • Displaying an actual worldmap in-game.
  • Automatically save screenshots of maps to sd-card when visiting them.
  • First version of replacing the hero icon with the toolbox drawer.
  • Changed some ui icons to being colorindexed png files instead of rgb. (saves some bytes)
  • Display magnitude on condition icons.
  • Changed default unarmed attack cost to 4AP.
  • Regeneration skill only applies when not adjacent to a monster.
  • Added named areas (towns, taverns) to worldmap.
  • Persist inventories of vendors in savegame file. Restock merchants when map respawns.
  • Provide whole stacktrace in log when a savegame fails to load.
  • Use animations when changing visibility of the combat bar.
  • Move toolbox to lower right hand corner, replaces old "toggle quickitems" button.
  • Refactored how item stats are applied to actors, in preparation of fighting style skills.
Bugfixes:
  • Bugfix: Populate the combat view correctly when loading games where the player has selected a movement destination in battle.
  • Bugfix: do not start a new player turn when returning from inventory and AP=0. (Thanks to Drizzt for finding it!)
  • Bugfix: do not move monsters around unnecessarily when loading savegames.
  • Bugfix: more fixes to movement of blocked monsters when loading savegames.
  • Bugfix: reset spawns on maps that have not been visited recently. This will shrink the savegame size to about a fifth of the previous sizes.
  • Bugfix: do not give out rewards from conversation phrases when returning to the conversation activity. Rewards should only be applied when first visiting a phrase.
  • Bugfix: do not reset NPCs on current map when resting.
  • Bugfix: only parse maps on worldmap that are actually present as maps.
  • Bugfix: respawn all maps after resting. (Thanks Nyktos for finding it!)
  • Bugfix: Only add conversation phrase to conversation dialog once. (issue 317) (Thanks nether!)
  • Bugfix: make sure that new rounds start at 6s after a combat has ended, and not something less than that.
  • Bugfix: Make sure that all areas are respawned on the map where the player ends up on after getting killed.
Text updates:
  • Minor spelling correction.
  • Minor map and spelling corrections.
  • Spelling correction to Talion's dialogue. (thanks Mino!)
  • Several conversation spelling corrections (thanks Mino, Elyon, fiernaq).
  • Lots of spelling corrections (thanks to Rtoo, and major thanks to Elyon!)
  • Bugfix: Change places on the quest log rows for buying Lyson marrow, so that the price is stated correctly in the quest log.
  • Updated description of rejuvenation skill to indicate that it only affects temporary conditions (thanks Mad P!)
  • Updated conversation text for Umar in Fallhaven (issue 316) (thanks bluers0)
Editor:
  • Updated content editor so that it may use the new item categories.
  • Updated TMX worldmap according to new maps in v0.6.11.
  • Added "Connections" layer to TMX world map (thanks TheGleep!)
  • Display images in lists in AndorsTrailEditor.
  • Update image icons in left list when icon changes.
I want to thank the following people for their hard work in contributing content, code or ideas for v0.6.11:
(in alphabetic order)
  • bluers0
  • ctnbeh13
  • Drizzt
  • Elyon
  • fiernaq
  • Ian Haase
  • Joker
  • konstmih
  • Mad P
  • Mino
  • nether
  • Nyktos
  • Pyrizzle
  • Rtoo
  • sdevaney
  • surgecurrent
  • Taledus
  • TheGleep
Also, I would like to give out a big thank you to everyone on the forums. The ideas that are discussed here are a great resource for making an excellent game!

Thank you!

Given the popularity of Andor's Trail, we can safely say that this game is a huge success. Currently, we are at 370k+ downloads, and with this version we will likely see a lot more new players reach this forum.

We developers will now focus on fixing the last few issues that are still present in this alpha before we release it to Android Market, and then continue the work on those major new features and content for v0.7.0.

Thanks in advance for testing, and we in the development team hope you will enjoy the new version!
/Oskar
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Alpha version of v0.6.12 available

Post by nyktos »

EPIC

:shock:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Testing 0.6.12 alpha at Galaxy 3, android 4.0.4

Fifst I like to say, Im imprested. :shock: you guys are fast... Impressive work.

And then the baad news:
- I dont like the way how monster status box slides down.. IMO the old one was much better
-I love the word map, but it reveals too much... When you enter the new screen you can instantly look where you need to head. How about if this pick was taken when you leave the area ?
-I post some some screencaptures... really worst graphic problem. I can move couble screen, but then graphic go cracy.

---edited and add following---
this problem ends if I save game and exit on AT or when I entered on cave of spider mountain. But it will start again after couble screen. It seems that screen is kinda blinking black and suddently there are something in the near screens , monsters and player char and part of objeck are multiplied..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

here is one more intresting screencaptufe, lover part of the screen is a chaos, but why upper part looks fine ? This is the sreen a bit in north in spider cave before you enter in road to remgard.

Please tell me if I can help on this one.

And Nyktos.... dont worry i can still keep on grinding . . I know the path well enough to follow it blinded :twisted:

---edited and add---
this bug also get magnitude counger stuck (see pick).

It is a new world record in spider cave to Remgard less than 5 rounds :-)

..sorry about multible post, but i can only add three pick in one post.

--edited and add---
one intfesting thing more, this problem do not happen in two screwns south of spider cave.. why how this two (and upper part of the thirt screen) are different ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarumar

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Dragonlord
android_version: 4.0

Post by Dragonlord »

Makes buying bonemeal a real pain! Rest after every purchase of 10? :?
Lineage OS 18.1 Pixel 3XL De-googled
Been playing since 2011.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Oskar,

Thanks for the hard work!

testing on a samsung galaxy sIII
I have only played for a few minutes but here is a few criticisms:
  • The magnitude should not be displayed on active actor condition icons. It should be the # of rounds left.

The new toolbox in lower-right hand corner is a a pain. What use to take one click to perform now requires 2 clicks. I hate having to press 2 buttons to use an item from the quick chest.
    I concur with Sarumar's remarks on the world map. The whole map should not fill-in when entered. You should have to walk on in it.
Last edited by Antison on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

tek wrote:Oskar,

Thanks for the hard work!

testing on a samsung galaxy sIII
I have only played for a few minutes but here is a few criticisms:
  • The magnitude should not be displayed on active actor condition icons. It should be the # of rounds left :!:
    The new toolbox in lower-right hand corner is a a pain. What use to take one click to perform now requires 2 clicks. I hate having to press 2 buttons to use an item from the quick chest.
    I concur with Sarumar's remarks on the world map.
More to come when I can test. 49ers football game is on tonight so it wont be tonight. :)
Tek, would either of these options work:

-Long press chest for map
-Make map available in chest

Aside from filling up the status bar with even more icons, those are the only option that I can think of to solve the issue of having to click twice to get what you want.

Thoughts?

And are you running into the same world map issues that Sarumar is with the messed up graphics?
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

So far so good on my file! It all came together so well!

Hope you all enjoy playtesting! Happy hunting everyone!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

Force close bug. When moving in another screen (excepth player info part) turn in black. After while back into starting screen (continue game, load, etc). When schoosing continue game it continued one screen before crash. Some weird thing in auto save too ?

Something more about cracy graphic see picture below. most of maps are black and some reason I have not map in spider cave .
Sarumar

Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Sarumar,

Did you install over your old v.0.6.11 version?

You might try to backup you savegames to another location. Uninstall Andor's Trail. Then reinstall with just the new version and see if that might help.