How to translate AT the (hopefully) easy way at high quality

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

How to translate AT the (hopefully) easy way at high quality

Post by Samuel »

I was asked in a PM how I translate AT. I thougt this could be useful for other forum members too. IMO you should always use a computer (here with Windows) to translate. There should be several problems when using a phone or a tablet: small screen, typing is slower, AFAIK there is no merge program like winmerge, etc.

Here is a list of active translation topics: In the following steps I will assume you have a computer and the target language would be German.

1.1 Create these folders on your computer

Code: Select all

English translation
English translation update
German translation
1.2 Download the following files from "git/AndorsTrail/res/values" to "English translation"

Code: Select all

content_actorconditions.xml
content_conversationlist.xml
content_itemcategories.xml
content_itemlist.xml
content_monsterlist.xml
content_questlist.xml
strings.xml
strings_about.xml
To download the file in the original format, I recommend to open the file and use "save target as" on the link "View raw file" in the details box on the right:

1.3 Download the same files from "git/AndorsTrail/res/values-de" to "German translation"

1.4 Copy missing files from "English translation" to "German translation"

1.5 Use a file merging tool like Winmerge or DiffMerge to show the according English and German files side by side. Edit the German file to improve or create the translation.
You should start with the file "strings.xml". For reference you may also download a translation to some other language.

1.6 Check in the Online Translation Validator for untranslated strings.
This might not be wrong, as "Ok" may be translated by "Ok" in German.

1.7 Commit your zipped "German translation" folder to a new issue here:

On an update of the English Translation you should do the following steps:
2.1 Download the updated files from "git/AndorsTrail/res/values" to "English translation update":

2.2 Use Winmerge to check if there are changes between "English translation" and "English translation update"
2.2.1 For each change check if you need to adjust the German translation. Perhaps the meaning of some text entries changed.
2.2.2 Check if there are new text entries to translate. Most of the time at the bottom of the file, but sometimes there are also new text entries in already translated parts.

2.3 Move the files from "English translation update" to "English translation"
Last edited by Samuel on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Samuel
VIP

Re: How to translate AT the (hopefully) easy way at high qua

Post by Samuel »

Did I forget something? Any additional thoughts?
Perhaps this should be sticky.
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

This is a nice tutorial Samuel. The only thing I would add is using the translation validator to make sure no parts of the translation were skipped. http://andors-trail.googlecode.com/git/ ... tions.html

I will have to look into winmerge looks like it may be easier than what I use currently, a combo of git-cola and notepad++.
Samuel
VIP

Post by Samuel »

I added the reference to the translation validator. Although with its last update (enabling editing on the fly) its not easy to see what exact strings have not been translated. Previously they were marked.
Trolu
android_version: 8.0

Post by Trolu »

Thanks for the tutorial (it was my PM request that "gave birth" to it), but I still have one question, and I prefer to ask that before I'm well into the translating process. The "download following files" part is somewhat unclear, since download results differ greatly when I use "save target as" or I open the file and then copy/paste the displayed content. The latter is FAR more user friendly for usage and translation. "strings.xml" obtained the fist way is 169kB in size, while the second produces a 39kB file (which is more in line with the file size listed at "git/AndorsTrail/res/values"), and file headers look like this:
1. ("save target as" method)

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" >
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1" >

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOARCHIVE">

<link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="http://www.gstatic.com/codesite/ph/images/phosting.ico">

<script type="text/javascript">

var codesite_token = "cSKXWBgWHArK9gosEoliXWa4zSQ:1351679040689";

2. ("copy/paste" method)
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <resources>
<string name="app_name">Andor\'s Trail</string>
<string name="app_description">Quest-driven fantasy RPG</string>
<string name="exit">Exit</string>
<string name="exit_to_menu">Exit to menu</string>
<string name="menu_pause">Pause</string>
<string name="menu_settings">Preferences</string>
<string name="menu_save">Save</string>
<string name="menu_load">Load</string>
<string name="menu_save_gamesaved">Game was saved to slot %1$d</string>
<string name="menu_save_failed">Failed to save game! Is the SD card mounted and writable?</string>
<string name="loadsave_title_save">Save game</string>

Which one is correct, so I don't end up with translated, but useless files?
Lvl: 53, XP: 2734712, Gold: 6500, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0
HP: 84, AC: 229%, AD: 37-38, AP: 3, ECC: 31%, CM: 5,25, BC: 80%, DR: 0
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

You seem to be getting the html file that displays the xml file as well as the file its self when you download it the first way.

I would recommend either doing it the 2nd way if that is more comfortable to you or downloading the whole source from the downloads page.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

I recommend DiffMerge rather than WinMerge as mentioned in 1.5 on the OP. Just a personal opinion though.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Samuel: Great work here! Thank you for posting this information! Very helpful (as always)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Johan »

Regarding "save target as" vs. copy/paste. A third option (fourth after using git?) is to open the file and use "save target as" on the link View raw file in the details box om the right.
view-raw-file.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trolu
android_version: 8.0

Post by Trolu »

Thanks everyone. I've downloaded the full source, and already posted new issue with start of Polish translation (strings.xml). More to follow soon.
Lvl: 53, XP: 2734712, Gold: 6500, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0
HP: 84, AC: 229%, AD: 37-38, AP: 3, ECC: 31%, CM: 5,25, BC: 80%, DR: 0