So how do I get involved?

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: So how do I get involved?

Post by Pyrizzle »

hehe that's pretty quick. I messed around with tiled for a bit but didn't get very far with it. LOL

Very nice work, keep it up!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tantoedge
android_version: 4.0

Post by tantoedge »

Tiled is actually a very easy program and just using it I learned the hotkeys through trial and error.

Page up and page down move between tile layers.
Z and X rotate and flip the tiles respectively.
B, F and E are Brush, Fill and Erase.

The hardest part of the system is finding the tile I need and getting accustomed to the palette.

Especially if we don't support flipping and rotating. I'm gonna have to redo all the maps in one way or another, I'm sure.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

It's great to hear that you look over the Brimhaven maps to make the m better!

BUT: There's one thing which you should undo. I don't like the mountain in your second post. Just put your yourself in the position of the players: They won't like an area at all which is inaccessible and consumes a fourth of the map.
That is a very important rule to make maps better. You don't need to cut out the whole mountain, of course. Just add a new house, entrance to a mine, a lake or a small forest.
The other stuff looks good!
I'd love to see more maps from you! :D
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

That's fair, but note that I actually added space to brimhaven2 to expand the church, and as I mentioned in the post, that fourth of the map is where I'll cram the slummy houses I axed from brimhaven6.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

tantoedge wrote:I've reworked this area to allow more room for the church and graveyard.

I was considering doing more with the houses, but I may simply add the slums to this area since I removed it from the merchantile area (brimhaven6)

Please feel free to levy any suggestions, observations, criticisms, or general inquiries. No questions though ;)
Credit where credit is due. The original maps were started by Michael Schmid (that also did the Blackwater Mountain, the fields- and the waterway-maps). I guess it would also be prudent to re-state that tile flipping and rotation is not supported, before any more work using that is spent. None of our existing 284 maps use flipping or rotation.

That said, this looks like an interesting development of the maps that Michael started. Really excited to see what we can make of these. Nice work so far, tantoedge!
/Oskar
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

Hey cheers for that.

Rotating and flipping is something I feel is a necessary facet of the development whether previous maps use it or not.
The number of tiles required to achieve a variety of aesthetics would be reduced.

Things like flipping beds, tables and chairs is one thing, but cutting the number of tiles in the tileset, and I assume the general load on the engine are both great benefits.

Just my two cents.
oskarwiksten wrote:
tantoedge wrote:I've reworked this area to allow more room for the church and graveyard.

I was considering doing more with the houses, but I may simply add the slums to this area since I removed it from the merchantile area (brimhaven6)

Please feel free to levy any suggestions, observations, criticisms, or general inquiries. No questions though ;)
Credit where credit is due. The original maps were started by Michael Schmid (that also did the Blackwater Mountain, the fields- and the waterway-maps). I guess it would also be prudent to re-state that tile flipping and rotation is not supported, before any more work using that is spent. None of our existing 284 maps use flipping or rotation.

That said, this looks like an interesting development of the maps that Michael started. Really excited to see what we can make of these. Nice work so far, tantoedge!
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

Okay so regarding these maps, I thought I knew what was happening here, but I have to ask some questions:

Is it all one town?
How wealthy is this place?
What's the story behind the logs in brimhaven1.tmx?
Is it a battle ground, or a logging project?
Amidst the screenshots, there are several weaponsmiths, or merchants and I want to establish just how many merchants vs workers this town would have.

Is it a mining and forestry town? Is it a mining town in the middle of a war hence the logging for a fortification, etc..

Any insight herein would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

From the looks they do both mining and logging since there seem to be no trees left lol. Looks as though they are trying to build a dam.
I'd venture to say it is a pretty poor village since the mine has gone dry? Maybe that is why they are trying to build the dam, help with their agriculture.
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

I also meant to ask specifically,
Do we need more than one smithy in a town?
I like having more than one inn, especially since workers would be staying in them.
What is the second church in the 'mercantile district' as I've come to calling it.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

tantoedge wrote:I also meant to ask specifically,
Do we need more than one smithy in a town?
I like having more than one inn, especially since workers would be staying in them.
What is the second church in the 'mercantile district' as I've come to calling it.
To answer your questions:
I think, there could be more than one smithy. But maybe we don't need two smithies in Brimhaven because I think too, it's a rather poor town.
If you think, we need two inns because of the large amount of workers, you can draw two of course. But what do the workers do? You could draw an entrance to a mine which is flooded though. That could also explain the embankment which protects the town of further flooding.
The churches: You could make the church in the cave destroyed because there has been a rockfall. Then the priests moved outside. You could also draw a dungeon under destroyed one.

Happy building!!! ;)
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1