v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

So how do I get involved?

Discussions of the development process of the game.
tantoedge
android_version: 4.0

So how do I get involved?

Post by tantoedge »

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit of a veteran when it comes to this sort of thing. I've messed around with making my own RPG, but really I just want to make maps, and quests.

I've attached a photo of something I whipped together as evidence of mapping ability.

I couldn't spot cliff toppers in the palette for the grass, hence why some trees are floating in space.
Are there angular wall bottoms?

How do I test a map 'ingame'? Do I have to compile an APK?

I've got some old RPGMaker pieces kicking around. One is a story driven piece with three to four hours of gameplay, while another is an open ended world where I built a choose your own character, class, spells system all done through the events nodes of the original RPGMaker. I built it back around the time Morrowind had just released.

Anyhow, blah blah blah, what can I do to contribute maps? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tantoedge

Re: So how do I get involved?

Post by tantoedge »

I'm not interested in affecting the design of the game, I'm not interested in steering the direction, or making suggestions, etc.
I don't care about that stuff and it would require more interaction than I'm looking for.

I'm not going to list some crazy resume of game modding strewn around the internet.
In short I'm a jack of all trades and I find laying tile fun, easy and I'm good at it.

I can make tile sets and did so when I toyed with generating my own Android games.

I could wax for days about 'ideas' or 'you should', but that's not why I'm here. Some people want to be the chef, and some people just want to do the prep, the garnish or the soups ;)

I've attached the previously mentioned RPG Maker titles. Enjoy!
Edge (of Shadow) was my first foray into (the first) RPG Maker, with tilesets scrounged from around the internets.
Blind came after Morrowind was released. I had an XBox and a crappy PC at the time. Naturally, no mod tools on XBox so my creativity was poured into Blind, which I named so because players (and the creator) went in blind. No aim or objective specifically.

The reason I have uploaded these is because they're chock full of beautiful mapping examples.
Blind specifically uses only default graphics to portray a wide variety of themes and environments.
Scale is always taken into consideration, within and without buildings. Detail is everywhere.

I stopped working on them after getting a PC capable of playing Morrowind.

So where do I find some map plans, so I can get started?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

It's great to hear that you want to draw some maps!
First, about the edges:
Did you download the whole source tree? If you did that, you follow: res>drawable. Then you just add all pictures named as tiles into the window on the right in Tiled. You should find there some grass edges. To make cliffs I would suggest drawing stone or dirt cliffs with the layer Ground. On top of the cliff, you add a grass edge with Objects. At the bottom oc the cliffs, you add a shadow in Above to make it feel like a canyon.
The only way I know to test maps on PC is installing the AT emulator.
Instructions can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/w ... Subversion
Addingo a map is tricky because you have to heed many things. If you want to know more, please pm me.
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

Hey Ian, thanks for the response!

The screenshot in my original post is something I've already whipped together, so yeah, I'm well beyond the basics.

It didn't look like there was any way to round the pit out, so I suppose shadowed ground will be the best alternative.

Thanks for the subversion link, I'll get that plugged into Eclipse.

I'll email Oskar.
Ian wrote:It's great to hear that you want to draw some maps!
First, about the edges:
Did you download the whole source tree? If you did that, you follow: res>drawable. Then you just add all pictures named as tiles into the window on the right in Tiled. You should find there some grass edges. To make cliffs I would suggest drawing stone or dirt cliffs with the layer Ground. On top of the cliff, you add a grass edge with Objects. At the bottom oc the cliffs, you add a shadow in Above to make it feel like a canyon.
The only way I know to test maps on PC is installing the AT emulator.
Instructions can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/w ... Subversion
Addingo a map is tricky because you have to heed many things. If you want to know more, please pm me.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Glad you seem to have things figured out. Looking forward to seeing more great maps!
tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

I've pm'ed Oskar, but the way I'm understanding it, we have regions, and however we address that is fine so long as it fits the motif?
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

tantoedge great map! Can't wait to see what comes next!

Welcome to the forums!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

tantoedge wrote:I've pm'ed Oskar, but the way I'm understanding it, we have regions, and however we address that is fine so long as it fits the motif?
Yeah we are pretty open as long as it fits with the general feel of the game we can make it work.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

sdevaney wrote:
tantoedge wrote:I've pm'ed Oskar, but the way I'm understanding it, we have regions, and however we address that is fine so long as it fits the motif?
Yeah we are pretty open as long as it fits with the general feel of the game we can make it work.
One thing that we could use more of (in maps) are:

Underground maps, like caves, dungeons, etc.

They would be easy to fit into the game.

Happy building! :mrgreen:

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

tantoedge

Post by tantoedge »

I can do that. Any religions I can work with? Particular daemonic places we need generated?

I can add fluff text on book shelves and junk, so if anybody can point me to a source for world info, that'd be a help.

Any particular locations we need?
Pyrizzle wrote:
sdevaney wrote:
One thing that we could use more of (in maps) are:

Underground maps, like caves, dungeons, etc.

They would be easy to fit into the game.

Happy building! :mrgreen: