v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Music for Andor's Trail

Discussions of the development process of the game.
nerdmaster
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Music for Andor's Trail

Post by nerdmaster »

While I have not replied many times to andors trail forums I have been reading a lot of posts.
I have also been thinking about adding music to andors trail and I would like to share my thoughts on that.

1) Requesting a new feature to be implemented on Andors trail means that there will be probably one year delay. That happens because updates are released twice a year and the things to be added on the next update are basically discussed and decided months ago. So if there will be music added on andors train it would be on 2015.

2) While adding music increases download size I hardly find that an issue. If you search for statistics you will find that the vast majority of phones have more than enough internal memory to handle a 30MB (or even a 300MB) game. Keep in mind that we are talking about something to be added 1 year later. If it is really a problem you could add an option to allow the user to decide if he / she wants to download the game music and install it to his / her sd card for the game to use. The music can be hosted on a free server (there are many out there) or google docs which allow you to upload files or google sites.

3) Users that play at work can always use the mute option of the game and also put their mobile devices on silent mode.

4) While I am a programmer and I have also created android applications I know very few things about music formats. But I believe it is not that difficult to make the game to support midi files. That way the music will take minimum space.

5) I am sure that most of us agree that music makes any rpg game much better. (imagine that you played another of your favourites rpg on mute)

6) I dont know why andors trail cant be moved to sd card but it shouldnt be hard to make it do so. On my projects all I had to do was to type this on the manifest file android:installLocation="auto"
This also allows the application to be moved to the prefered type of memory.
Lvl:40, XP: 1167238, Gold: 11879, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, GoLF: 0, ChaR: 0, SHAF: 0
HP: 114, AC: 197%, AD: 23 - 33, AP: 3, BC: 97%, DR: 5, CC: -%, CM: -
Restore HP/Kill: 0
RodrigoBorgesFreitas
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by RodrigoBorgesFreitas »

Can't the music be in .midi format?
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Well, MIDI files sound like crap. I would vote against that.

Moreover, it's already been stated that if we get a good one, we may include it in AT, but:
- Having a single tune would quickly get boring.
- Having music that is both good, yet pleasing to most is very hard.
- AT has a long history now, and each players have a personal feel that a given music may destroy (solved by mute, I agree).
- Handling sound FX, or scripted music (think Serious Sam), or even simply map-dependent music means some code to add (not necessarily hard, but not trivial either).

@nerdmaster : I believe it is one of the strength of AT to not care only about "the vast majority of phones", but to be playable on the oldest and cheapest phones out there, and "easy" to download even in remote areas with poor internet coverage. AT is the only game you can play for hours in the heart of the amazonian jungle on a 50$ device, until an IRL snakes bites you....
Good point on the "install to sd card" though. I'll look into it.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
pickle chips
android_version: 4.3

Post by pickle chips »

I for one would absolutely love Some sort of sound in the game. I play it casually and sound would make it that much more enjoyable.
cccd3cpt
android_version: 4.2

Post by cccd3cpt »

Wow, been gone for a while, didn't realize this was still being discussed lol
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Post by Fire7051 »

I have been gone a while too. I don't think sound would really add anyting to the game and would be more annoying than anything else.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.