v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

got bored with grinding, made a map instead

Discussions of the development process of the game.
red hatter
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: got bored with grinding, made a map instead

Post by red hatter »

Pyrizzle wrote:Nice work on that map! Looks fantastic!

We can always use more people making maps, they seem to be one of the more time consuming aspects of the creation on Andor's Trail... that and Quest writing.

Keep it up guys! I would love to see more maps that you create!
Thanks.

What is the policy on adding new tiles to the png's with all the tiles for the maps? I would like to have a tile with some tansparant foam to create a nice waterfall.
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

Is there a semi-transparent snow tile? That might work..... how are the waterfalls already in the game set up?
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

PK17 wrote:Is there a semi-transparent snow tile? That might work..... how are the waterfalls already in the game set up?
Just by using a blue tile with a bit more white marbling in it.. Enough to look different from the regular water, but not really waterfall-looking.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
red hatter

Post by red hatter »

There is a semi-transparent snow tile. It gives the impression of foam on water when put on a water colored ground tile, but the shape is off when used as waterfall foam. It lookes more like a piece of floating foam on a sea. As far as I know and can remember, there is a waterfall on the path to Remgard with no visible bottom and there is a waterfall on the path to mount Galmore, a river enters a lake, as can been seen on the preview posted on this board. They are both 'horizontal views' of a waterfall. It looks real nice. I'm making a 'diagonal view waterfall' and I think some foam could add to the visual effect. I would be surprised if a 'vertical view waterfall' could be made with the present tiles.

Is it important to keep the number of different tiles low? Is it significantly more preferable not to add new tiles and just use the existing ones only? Should I try to draw a few new tiles?

I made a map of part of a valley. It has a path through the valley and a path on a mountain ledge. The idea is, one can view the second path on a lesser quest, but only reach it on a more difficult quest. It has a hidden entrance behind the waterfall, for which I have no tiles, other than the basic waterfall tiles.
Last edited by red hatter on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

If I was to grade this work, I would give it a B+. The waterfall looks good, but the top needs serious work as only the middle titles of the river and the fall are realistic. Look at how the top-left most river tile just ends and doesn't flow over the edge. Are there no triangle shaped water tiles? Same thing goes for the bottom-left most tile.

Also, the bottom is unrealistic with that little island at the base of the waterfall. The land that makes up that island would be overcome by the water.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Antison wrote:If I was to grade this work, I would give it a B+. The waterfall looks good, but the top needs serious work as only the middle titles of the river and the fall are realistic. Look at how the top-left most river tile just ends and doesn't flow over the edge. Are there no triangle shaped water tiles? Same thing goes for the bottom-left most tile.

Also, the bottom is unrealistic with that little island at the base of the waterfall. The land that makes up that island would be overcome by the water.
No, there are no triangular water tiles. You can only put a slanted edge piece of sand over it, as you see elsewhere on water maps.
I agree a little cleanup would be useful, but a great start!
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
red hatter

Post by red hatter »

I made some triangular waterfall tiles with a white water edge and updated the image posted above. Certain trail tiles are indeed the only more or less triangular shaped semi-transparant tiles. The use of these tiles can only be stretched to some extent, a diagonal view of waterfalls is not one of them, apparently. I think a noticable overstreching of the use of tiles interferes with the suspension of disbelief and diminishes the game. I just had to try though.

Thanks for the feedback.
Last edited by red hatter on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Red Hatter,
A+
This is so much better now. Great job

"A home without a beagle is just a house"
red hatter

Post by red hatter »

Thank you, that's nice to hear. I think I'm going to build this valley as eight maps, four by two, to get the hang of Tiled. That will probably take a while.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Holy cow that is a beautiful landscape!

I hope you have some time to work with the Dev team to create some maps for the next update. You seem to have a great grasp of how to use tiled to create maps.

Great work!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------