v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Use "replace" areas to change the Map Objects groups

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Use "replace" areas to change the Map Objects groups

Post by Pyrizzle »

You got it Zukero! ;)

Nice work my friend!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I had an idea inspired by a thread about beginners having a rough time now that meat is H.o.T. instead of instant HP, that I thought was a good testing ground for this feature : some place where you can light up a fire, and cook your meat, but the fire turns off after a few turns.
The point is not to push cooking in the game (which I'd like, but that's another matter), but to show off what this feature can do.

Turns out my code wasn't yet good enough to implement the cooking, and it was a really good test case : I knew how I wanted to do it in Tiled, and just had to make the code behave as desired. And now it does !

Using the new replace areas, the requirement feature Oskar merged 2 weeks ago, anb the new scripting engine, I now have in my debug map :
- A fireplace, which you can light up if you give up 3 pieces of wood (dummy item, for debug)
- If the fireplace is lit, you can cook one or 5 pieces of meat, and receive the same number of cooked meat.
- After 5 rounds, the fireplace turns off, and you have to light it up again.

I kind of "hacked" the scripting engine, as my script is just a do-nothing (calls dialogue "X") script that runs after avery round (when->round), but the code checks the replacements to apply after run scripts, so that enabled me to put out the fire automatically using a timer, and not wait for the player to reenter map, or leave a conversation to trigger the replacement.

I hope it will get merged in a not too distant future, as I believe our beloved mapmakers will have a billion ideas way more creative than "cook meat" to put this feature to good use !
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
cccd3cpt
android_version: 4.2

Post by cccd3cpt »

Also like the cooking idea, nice new feature to complicate the game a bit more (in a good way).

What I like more though is the extra possibilities this could result into.

Once again amazing work Zukero!
Raner
android_version: 4.0

Post by Raner »

Zukero wrote:Do you see a point in having "replace" areas triggered solely by item possessed or equipped ?

On the assumption that a necro is better than a new topic on the issue: Yes, I could see enormous use for this. I see the problem with persistence however, as without additional coding, the 'replace' including spawns/layers/keys would not revert if the item is removed.

From a game balance perspective, it allows 'forcing' on or off of equipment. Want to make players experience a map without the JoF/MarrowTaint?

Want to force a player to explore a dungeon wearing boots that are +4 movement cost (oh noes, hit and runz nerfed!)

A spawn that only appears while wielding a certain weapon?

A door that only opens if no nasty BMPs are being carried?

A replace layer triggered by looting a cool item deep in a dungeon which (while carried) closes the way back, forcing the player to take the exit past the nasty looking fire breathing dragon (or abandon the loot)?

Or for those working on the labyrinth idea - imagine if the entrances were not connected, but if, only by navigating two mazes on top of each other, by selectively triggering replace layers, could the exit be reached? (too evil?)

My original idea was a section of a cave that would appear innocuous and uninhabited unless the player was wearing a particular item, which would allow perception of another layer of the cave. Along with a movement penalty, and constant fear effect. It would be a good bit of immersion if a player was presented with a new corner of a map (including a hitherto unseen exit), while darkening the tone, growing some cobwebs, shadows, and mobs.

I attached a super quick example of what I was imagining - I see the mistakes, but it gives an idea. And of course no mobs in Tiled. Coincidentally, this IS the corner I was considering modifying... just maybe when the map was done, and more carefully :lol:

This would also of course require a change to the replace concept, as the player would have to be able to re/un equip or drop/pick up an item an unlimited number of times, as opposed to the current permanent replace. So I appreciate, this is not a simple concept - every item looted/dropped/equipped or removed would have to query the current map to determine if there were effects...

Too much to hope for, I am assuming?

Sorry to be annoying (again).

-Raner
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raner:
Lvl: 1__Exp: 1.7mm__Gold: 70k
HP: 44__AP: 5/10__AC: 127__AD: 10-21__BC: 49__DR: 3__ECC: n/a
Shadow Regeneration

RoLS: 2__RoL: 2__ElyR: 1__GoLF: 1

... no skills ...