Shadows of wall in Tiled

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Moerit
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Shadows of wall in Tiled

Post by Moerit »

Shadows are descibed at Map Making Guide and Mapmaking Guidelines.

I saw on some maps that this rule is not applicated(e.g. "wild7"). I could have a sharp eyes on issues like that if you want to. I could either fix it and contribute the redesigned maps or post the maps i located.

Furthermore another Question about Shadows:
In Tiled we have different kind of corners in the Cavewall-tilesets (bottom-edge one). The one is without shadow applicated, the other does have shadows. (see attached file)
When is which kind of shadow used? are there any rules?

The Problematic with the first (left on picture) type is that im not able to place correct shadows short mountain-noses witha height of 1. (see picture)

In the second (right on picture) type i encountered the problem that walkable treetops cannont be placed in "Above"-layer at the tile right next to the corner.

So what about them? be a hardliner only use one kind of shadow or make it how it fits and looks anyhow relative harmonic?
Or maybe just add another kind of shadow-tile..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 151, AC: 248%, AD: 29-40, AP: 4, ECC: 22%, CM: -, BC: 160%, DR: 5
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Shadows of wall in Tiled

Post by Zukero »

I always use the second kind (top right of your picture).
If I need Treetops on the above layer, I place the shadow in "Objects", but generally don't make these spots walkable. If they are, well, I guess we can forgive some shadow not casted on the players' shoes in these exceptional cases :D

I'll wait for Ian's advice. That was just my 2 cents.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Shadows of wall in Tiled

Post by Pyrizzle »

The top right one looks the most realistic to me as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------