v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Dutch translations

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Jeron
android_version: 4.0

Dutch translations

Post by Jeron »

Hello,

I've started a Dutch translation, and basically I'm looking for translators to help me. I can maybe work on it half an hour a day and at that rate it ll take me the rest of this year.

So If you're willing to help, let me know. If necessary I can help you get started with the translation (although its not that difficult).

En natuurlijk mag je in dit topic ook in het nederlands posten als dat eenvoudiger voor je is.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Dutch translations

Post by Zukero »

Hello Jeron and thanks for the offer.

This is indeed the kind of topic where speaking non-English language is allowed, but full English translation is required by forum rules.

Make sure to perform your translation work on launchpad !

Thanks again for your future work and welcome to the forum.

Edit: check out this post: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 639#p46639
Edit 2: Just saw the translated text in Dutch on launchpad ! You've taken the right way right away ! Great !
Last edited by Zukero on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: #1 added link to contribution guide on translations. #2 noticed I should have looked further....
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
ncer
android_version: 2.2

Post by ncer »

Succes! Denk je niet dat de meeste Nederlanders zich kunnen redden met Engels?

Good luck! Don't you think most of the Dutch can manage with English?
Lvl: 195, XP: 135178554, Gold: 1004501
HP: 88 AC: 345%, AD: 109-120, AP: 5, ECC: 15%, CM: 0, BC: 222%, DR: 6
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 2, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Jeron
android_version: 4.0

Post by Jeron »

Ncer, I agree that english should not be a problem for most adult (adolescent) dutch/flemish. Me, I would never opt to play the dutch version.

But In my opinion, twelve year olds can also play andors trail and the in game conversation may be to difficult at that point.

Translation is also always a good point, to start getting involved in development of a project, which is what I'm planning to do provided I find the time (I've got plenty of programming experience in Java on PC, so making the step to android shouldn't be a problem).
hailstone
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by hailstone »

I found the Dutch translation on launchpad. I started at the beginning (here and there changing a few things) to gain some momentum.

Some considerations I find usefull when translating:
- translations are secondary to gameplay
- I prefer Dutch words with old roots, Norse, Old-English, ..., medieval RPG feel
- avoid Dutch translations with undesirable (relative to the game) connotations which are not or less present in the orginal English language
- a neutral translation appropriate for young Dutch gamers
- names of items, spells, ... preferably have a nice ring to them, sound magical, medieval
- a nice natural sentence flow, transparency over fidelity, dynamic equivalence over formal equivalence
- keep gender neutral terms gender neutral
- the simplest translation that fits the other requirements