v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:How about this:

Any monster in a spawn area of only one square is a sentinel (probably easier to check this than add a new property to every monster?), and is immune to ranged attacks. The player gets a message such as "your attack has no effect", or "your attack has no effect from this distance"

If you engage a monster from distance 0 (or 1, depending on how you want to count distance) monsters may flee or follow you if you flee, but only within the bounds of their spawn areas. So safe areas are unaffected for melee combat.

If you engage a monster with a ranged attack, then you just took the gloves off. Then it can flee anywhere, and chase you anywhere.

With the above rules nothing about existing combat would change, and ranged weapons would therefore only add to the game, rather than changing the existing game. If a player decides to shoot a vile plaguestrider from a distance with the new ranged weapons, and it follows them into a safe area and kills them, lesson learned :twisted:

That would be more coding for sure, but it might be an acceptable solution.
I gave this more thought. It seems good, but at this point I think may be beyond my own decision.

I'll be glad to just code whatever the community decides on and/or our fearless leader suggests.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote: Thanks :D
I'll try to work on the glow soon but no promises :P

Currently the features that I haven't finished are the glow, the "Favorites" equipment, and the "reverse" inventory sorting.
I was doing the easy ones first and now all that's left is the really tricky ones :P

I think I'll work on them in that order, and hopefully our fearless leader will approve the changes.
I'm starting to regret not making several branches, because now everything is in one large place and it could be difficult for him to go through it...
Your Welcome :mrgreen:
You are going at record pace so don't be modest now. However, there is no pressure from me, just feedback and ideas. :)

By several branches, you mean several apk files?
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
Your Welcome :mrgreen:
You are going at record pace so don't be modest now. However, there is no pressure from me, just feedback and ideas. :)

By several branches, you mean several apk files?
Yes I meant different apks. It would've been easier for people to compare with the main branch if I made a branch for ranged, another for inventory sorting, etc...

I just never expected I'd be doing so much. :lol:
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

You obviously find a reason for doing as much as you do. Not only is AT a very fun RPG, it has a very interesting setting and story, character development, but it is more than that too. Honestly, games have come and gone, but this community, represented as a forum, makes me keep runnin' on back. A fun community project is what it is.

Anyway, I gave it a thought about you using multiple apks in your case, but I figured that it might be no use because you could copy and paste the code, assuming the different implementations were separate code (not intertwined).
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:You obviously find a reason for doing as much as you do. Not only is AT a very fun RPG, it has a very interesting setting and story, character development, but it is more than that too. Honestly, games have come and gone, but this community, represented as a forum, makes me keep runnin' on back. A fun community project is what it is.
Yup :)

I not only enjoy the game mechanics, but I really love the story too.
Once (or if) the new features I made are safely added to the game, I think I'm going to lay back and help with the quests.
Voom wrote:Anyway, I gave it a thought about you using multiple apks in your case, but I figured that it might be no use because you could copy and paste the code, assuming the different implementations were separate code (not intertwined).
Yeah it's no bother to me, I'm just regretting that our fearless leader will have to read through so much changes in one run.
ideas plox
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

Should we allow Long bows? Your character is still a small kid.

also, If ranged weapons are added I think perk skills should be added somewhere later in the game for each ranged type (Or for whips). Not available at the beginning.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:Should we allow Long bows? Your character is still a small kid.

also, If ranged weapons are added I think perk skills should be added somewhere later in the game for each ranged type (Or for whips). Not available at the beginning.
Yes I expect there's going to be a certain difficulty associated with obtaining stronger ranged weapons.
Maybe quests or something. That'd be a good way to ease players into it, considering that the aim button doesn't show until you equip one anyway.

It'll be like "woah, a whole new world out there" when they get a shortbow as a reward.

Also, the skills are definitely doable.
ideas plox
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

twirlimp wrote:Yes they move diagonally in both fleeing/following.

It's intentional and I can change either one if you want to.

Could be me, but I thought it makes sense that they move diagonally now that they actually have a goal.
Is it more fun to you?
I think that aesthetically monsters also moving on the diagonals looks better.

A savvy player can take advantage of them not moving on the diagonals. If you go straight at a monster, when you are in the adjacent square there's a chance it will try to move onto yours, and then it gets the first attack. But if you attack from the diagonal the monster will never try to move onto your square, so you always get the first attack (except, maybe there's a 15% chance it can attack when when you are adjacent to it? I said earlier that couldn't happen but now I'm not certain of that). So that leads to the question of whether that is by design, or just a side effect of limits in the monster AI / game engine.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

A savvy player can take advantage of them not moving on the diagonals. If you go straight at a monster, when you are in the adjacent square there's a chance it will try to move onto yours, and then it gets the first attack. But if you attack from the diagonal the monster will never try to move onto your square, so you always get the first attack (except, maybe there's a 15% chance it can attack when when you are adjacent to it? I said earlier that couldn't happen but now I'm not certain of that). So that leads to the question of whether that is by design, or just a side effect of limits in the monster AI / game engine.
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 289#p51289

If nothing else, this is certainly known by Zukero.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:
twirlimp wrote:Yes they move diagonally in both fleeing/following.

It's intentional and I can change either one if you want to.

Could be me, but I thought it makes sense that they move diagonally now that they actually have a goal.
Is it more fun to you?
I think that aesthetically monsters also moving on the diagonals looks better.

To be honest it was actually hard-coded that monsters only move horizontally/vertically and I believe it was very much on purpose.
There was a rather clear comment that said "only move in straight lines" next to the responsible line.
ideas plox