v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Github Fork: Attacked Monsters Follow Player when he Flees, Mons Flee when low HP, Basic Ranged Attacks Support

Post by ace »

absolutely fantastic.

edit: after playing the twirlimp's version :D
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Github Fork: Attacked Monsters Follow Player when he Flees, Mons Flee when low HP, Basic Ranged Attacks Support

Post by twirlimp »

ace wrote:absolutely fantastic.

edit: after playing the twirlimp's version :D
I just added a distance limit!

Now I just need to popup and mini-error message so you know why your aiming isn't working :P
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Updates.
January 3, 2016 wrote:
Limited Attack Distance for Ranged Weapons
Ranged weapons now have a property that decides what their attack range is.
You will get a message in combat if your target is out of range.
The Wooden Longbow has an attack range of +2, which means it's +2 more than melee range.

Also, this property can be added to other equipment like rings or whatever in order to boost attack range.
(e.g. Eyeglasses that enhance vision, enchanted rings, etc...)
However, even if you wear "ranged" equipment then at least one of them has to be a weapon.
(you can't do ranged attacks with a sword if you have enchanted ring)

Ranged Attacks
Can now start ranged attacks without an "aim mode" (although the option can still be toggled to "need to aim" ).
This means that you just need to press on the monster,
and you will walk towards it and attack as soon as you are within range.

Combat Movement
If there are still attackable monsters within range then player will not auto-exit combat.
This means that monsters (that you have attacked) will be following you and the only way to end combat is to somehow make more flee-moves than them (or kill them).

Tip: you can currently change to melee weapons mid-fight in order to flee faster because of shorter attack range.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote:The aim-mode button instantly switches to combat but first you have to press it and select a valid target.

As for weapon combos, i admit that "Defend" sounds good, but perhaps it's only usable if you have a shield equipped.

To be honest I haven't yet decided that combos are fun and i need more examples before I'm convinced.

It seems like it would make combat unnecessary complex, and we can just add the effects to new weapons so you re-equip for each combo.

Please feel free to expand your idea and say how you think it'll be like . I think my creativity dries up when I'm sleepy. :p
Yes, sir. I would probably create a thread for it, but I will have to think it over. I think you might be right that it makes combat a little more complex, nevertheless, I would enjoy a little introduction of player skill as oppose to only a hit/miss dimension.

The aim-mode button is pressed, then you press the specific monster. I like. Could it be possible to press aim-mode button and it instantly switches to combat mode and then tap anywhere on-screen to shoot at the nearest monster? (My thumb is quite big and I can mistakenly press anything but the monster, accidentally)
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
twirlimp wrote:The aim-mode button instantly switches to combat but first you have to press it and select a valid target.

As for weapon combos, i admit that "Defend" sounds good, but perhaps it's only usable if you have a shield equipped.

To be honest I haven't yet decided that combos are fun and i need more examples before I'm convinced.

It seems like it would make combat unnecessary complex, and we can just add the effects to new weapons so you re-equip for each combo.

Please feel free to expand your idea and say how you think it'll be like . I think my creativity dries up when I'm sleepy. :p
Yes, sir. I would probably create a thread for it, but I will have to think it over. I think you might be right that it makes combat a little more complex, nevertheless, I would enjoy a little introduction of player skill as oppose to only a hit/miss dimension.

The aim-mode button is pressed, then you press the specific monster. I like. Could it be possible to press aim-mode button and it instantly switches to combat mode and then tap anywhere on-screen to shoot at the nearest monster? (My thumb is quite big and I can mistakenly press anything but the monster, accidentally)

I just posted the newest apk file on the original post.
There are also some instructions for the debug buttons.

For aiming, I made the option to choose between two settings.
Anyway in both modes you can move, which is necessary because monsters will soon learn to flee.

By default, you now do not need "aim mode" anymore,
so you just press on the screen as usual,
and you will move towards the monster until you're within attack range.

The second setting is the old aim-mode although with movement enabled.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Edit: More about the second setting.

The only reason this is left is because some people might be afraid they'll misclick on monsters while walking and accidentally shoot them with arrows.

This mode allows them to specify when they'd like to walk around with "aiming" enabled instead of all the time.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Makes sense. that solves the problem.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:Makes sense. that solves the problem.
Well yeah it might, but you still need to be careful to actually press on the monster or else you will just walk past it.

Edit: I suggest you try it and tell me if you need improvements for usability.
(I can't really release the feature if some people have problems with it)
ideas plox
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Yes, it works just fine for me. Let me suggest this though. In the second setting, once you are already in combat mode you would have to click on the monster to shoot an arrow, otherwise, pressing the surrounding terrain wouldn't do anything until you decide to leave combat or you shoot. This prevents movement.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:Yes, it works just fine for me. Let me suggest this though. In the second setting, once you are already in combat mode you would have to click on the monster to shoot an arrow, otherwise, pressing the surrounding terrain wouldn't do anything until you decide to leave combat or you shoot. This prevents movement.
Both modes are the same inside combat. The difference (aim-mode) exits only in pre-combat.

Inside combat, for both, you need to long press to select a tile and then press again to attack/flee to it.

The flee button works as it did before and can be used for faster moving.
ideas plox