Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player, Monsters flee at low HP.

Post by twirlimp »

ace wrote:
twirlimp wrote:
Actually this can be done to all weapons. All we have to do is replace the "critical hit" message with "you hit the face! critical!".
And face/neck/heart could depend on the critical damage.
not exactly. since a person with only bow will have to greatly depend on the accuracy, bcz if an arrow hits armor or non-vulnerable part of enemy then it is surely an advantage for enemies. but in melee combat you know where exactly you have to swing your sword but what matters here is how fast and hard you hit a spot on your enemy that is you do a critical attack.
Oh I see what you mean now :P

But mechanics-wise, how is this different from calculating critical chance?

So far to me it really seems like we just changed the name.

I mean, I could just make a different message for critical hits when they're using ranged weapons.
ideas plox
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player, Monsters flee at low HP.

Post by ace »

twirlimp wrote:
ace wrote:
twirlimp wrote:
Actually this can be done to all weapons. All we have to do is replace the "critical hit" message with "you hit the face! critical!".
And face/neck/heart could depend on the critical damage.
not exactly. since a person with only bow will have to greatly depend on the accuracy, bcz if an arrow hits armor or non-vulnerable part of enemy then it is surely an advantage for enemies. but in melee combat you know where exactly you have to swing your sword but what matters here is how fast and hard you hit a spot on your enemy that is you do a critical attack.

I mean, I could just make a different message for critical hits when they're using ranged weapons.

I think this topic should have a different thread to be discussed.

BTW mechanics wise, accuracy chance may be very low than critical chance but may have very high damage or even instant death of enemy.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

ace wrote:
twirlimp wrote:
ace wrote:

I think this topic should have a different thread to be discussed.

BTW mechanics wise, accuracy chance may be very low than critical chance but may have very high damage or even instant death of enemy.
Nah I think this thread is fine considering it also has monster AI in it XD

If you want to see a different thread, look at the other one I posted today in this subforum.

It's about enhancements I made to the combat log.
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I have found an issue: when you kill an enemy from afar with your bow, the fight does not end, as you automatically engage another enemy, one that's not even in range if need be. I think after killing an enemy, if there are no adjacent ones, the fight must end.

It also seemed that the "End Turn" button sometimes failed to work, but that may just be my imagination....
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

While in aim-mode, before your first attack, you have the option to flee as if you didn't want to fight and you changed your mind. In this case, if the monster is not adjacent shouldn't the player be exposed nothing else but 100% chance of flee? Or maybe the flee chance can vary based on how faraway the monster is (longest combatable range at 100% chance of flee.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:I have found an issue: when you kill an enemy from afar with your bow, the fight does not end, as you automatically engage another enemy, one that's not even in range if need be. I think after killing an enemy, if there are no adjacent ones, the fight must end.

It also seemed that the "End Turn" button sometimes failed to work, but that may just be my imagination....
Edit: Oops sorry misunderstood the post. See the post below.

I fixed this yesterday so I really think you should download the latest veraion.

Does the one you have show "real-time following" button?
If so then you have a version from at least 2 days ago..
Last edited by twirlimp on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:While in aim-mode, before your first attack, you have the option to flee as if you didn't want to fight and you changed your mind. In this case, if the monster is not adjacent shouldn't the player be exposed nothing else but 100% chance of flee? Or maybe the flee chance can vary based on how faraway the monster is (longest combatable range at 100% chance of flee.

You're right, and I'll see if I can do it in the next couple of days (but note that you won't be followed unless you attack so it's a minor issue).

Actually there's already unused code to check whether you're at the start of battle (that is, no monsters are angry and coming to get you).
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:I have found an issue: when you kill an enemy from afar with your bow, the fight does not end, as you automatically engage another enemy, one that's not even in range if need be. I think after killing an enemy, if there are no adjacent ones, the fight must end.

Oops you're right I misunderstood you.

I'm going to change it now.

Instead of automatically engaging an enemy, the player will exit combat unless there are monsters coming towards him,
in which case it will target them ofc (and he will need to press "flee").

There's already code for it (it used to be like this before but that was before I made real-time following On by default)

I think the End Turn button works. I don't think I've noticed a problem with it (monsters attack/move when I press it, and AP recharges).
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Just one advice: instead of naming all your APKs AndorsTrail.apk, try adding some versioning to the name, for example AndorsTrail_RangedBeta_04.apk
It helps knowing who's up-to-date and who's not.

I always do this when sending out test builds to the dev team.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote:
Voom wrote:While in aim-mode, before your first attack, you have the option to flee as if you didn't want to fight and you changed your mind. In this case, if the monster is not adjacent shouldn't the player be exposed nothing else but 100% chance of flee? Or maybe the flee chance can vary based on how faraway the monster is (longest combatable range at 100% chance of flee.

You're right, and I'll see if I can do it in the next couple of days (but note that you won't be followed unless you attack so it's a minor issue).

Actually there's already unused code to check whether you're at the start of battle (that is, no monsters are angry and coming to get you).
You're right, it is just a minor issue if you haven't attacked, in which case 100% chance of flee will suffice. But there is the point that once you have already attacked the flee chance can vary based on distance. I believe that is also minor, but slightly more of an issue then the former. Thx.
Voom