(2017 edit) Sorting & Categories for Inventory/Shop/Skills (Pics inside)

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: Inventory & Skills Categories/Filters

Post by twirlimp »

Mayweed wrote:As you also mentioned inventory sorting in your other thread:
There has already been some code written to sort the inventory
by different criteria. I don't know, if it is still usable, since that post
is some three years old, but perhaps you could take a look at it.
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2352&p=26571
Mabe it is useful.
It's very good and the code seems fine-ish although I'm going to change a couple of things.

I'm considering adding this feature and squeezing the two bars next to each other since the text is very short (one word).
That is, each bar will have half the screen width.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
Nut wrote: But maybe not as drop down menu but as a list of icons? A picture of a shirt says more than 1000 words ;)

But most of all I wish to have the new added items at the top.
I like the picture idea, but has to look really good.

Newly added items should go on top, I agree.
I already made unequipped items go to the top, and it'll be simple to change the other places as well.

Maybe I'll make this a game preference that enabled by default?
Because some people might want their old items at the top in order to find them quickly for use.

As for the pictures, well it's unlikely. I personally prefer the text menu and would rather improve other things than work on this :p

I'll try to add proper sorting today.
After I'm done I'll get my friends galaxy pocket to test it on. If it's smooth on that phone it's smooth on everything. It has a 2.45" screen which is the smallest screens get .
Last edited by twirlimp on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Mayweed wrote:As you also mentioned inventory sorting in your other thread:
There has already been some code written to sort the inventory
by different criteria. I don't know, if it is still usable, since that post
is some three years old, but perhaps you could take a look at it.
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2352&p=26571
Mabe it is useful.
Here's what I did.
What do you think?
Edit: Note that the buttons in portrait mode are now on the right and with less separation.
device-2016-01-09-134031.png
device-2016-01-09-133942.png
In categories, armor includes anything wearable that is not a weapon :P

In sorting by type, I made two-handed weapons go top, then ranged weapons, then the other weapons.
Then come shields, then armor, then jewelry armor, then consumables (usable items) and then "other".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by twirlimp on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

By the way, would anyone be interested in sorting shop items?

The internal sorting methods are common between all item containers so I just need to create buttons for the shop sorting.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

If we don't do pictures, that's perfectly fine.

I am very interested in sorting shop items. Often I want to compare between a few items of the same kind,e.g., AP, Critical Skill, AC, BC, etc. I think this will be a great addition to player interactivity (made for people not robots).

I like the preference for what goes at the top of inventory. The setting could mention multiple ways of displaying items.

Why is there two drop-down menus? Principally, I like this idea. The interface looks spectacular.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:If we don't do pictures, that's perfectly fine.

I am very interested in sorting shop items. Often I want to compare between a few items of the same kind,e.g., AP, Critical Skill, AC, BC, etc. I think this will be a great addition to player interactivity (made for people not robots).
In the shop I'll probably only add sorting without categories because categories would be mostly meaningless.
(How often do you find a shop that sells dozens of items, of each single kind?)
Voom wrote:I like the preference for what goes at the top of inventory. The setting could mention multiple ways of displaying items.
Yeah that's perfectly doable. The reason I want to keep both options is because I'm really imagining there'd be strong opposition in some case.

Like for example, I made unequipped items go to the top of the inventory. This is perfectly harmless, as the things you use most often will be always at the top.

But I won't just make it default for everything else to go to the top.
Imagine picking up crappy loot and discovering that they're taking all the top space in your inventory...
Voom wrote:Why is there two drop-down menus? Principally, I like this idea. The interface looks spectacular.
One is for categories (weapons, consumables, quest, etc..) and the other is for sorting (by price, by name, by rarity, etc..).

And also regarding the skill categories, currently it's just another drop-down menu on the right.
But the internal category-making is done so it's just a graphics thing now.

Here's a couple of pictures, and you're welcome to try the newest apk from the thread of ranged weapons/ monsters AI . Note than inventory now has buttons on the right in portrait view.
device-2016-01-10-002806.png
device-2016-01-10-002746.png
More about skill categories:
Skills didn't used to have category properties at all. Currently the categories are stored in an enum table, and if you want to add a category all you have to do is add a new enum member.
Note that for the UI to adapt you have to add a new line to the spinner array.
That's it, really. Just a new word to identify the category, and a single new line for it to be accessible in the UI.
Extremely easy to work with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ideas plox
Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Duke »

yep, i like the categories and the menu options. looks great!
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

I like this idea a lot.
I think the menu's could use a custom field. Adding an item or skill to their respective menu's could be done via an option opened by long pressing.
This would allow a player to have a list of items they switch to for specific situations.
The skills custom menu would allow a player to have a list of skills they intend to use.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:I like this idea a lot. My only thought is that the menu's have another category (custom) that you can long click an item or skill and add it. I had some builds where, depending on the situation, I would switch some of my gear. So, it would be nice to have a separate menu I can place items in forv that purpose. In the case of skills, it would be nice to have a filter for the ones I intend to use.
I thought of adding a "Favorites" category and I'm glad someone mentioned it or else I wouldn't have done it. :P

I'll try to work on it tomorrow but not sure if I'll finish it because unlike shop sorting this will need to be saved when closing but at least expect shop sorting tomorrow.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Duke wrote:yep, i like the categories and the menu options. looks great!
Thanks XD

Now let's just hope my modifications are accepted... :P
ideas plox