Translation questions

Discussions of the development process of the game.
BethelAbba
android_version: 4.4

Translation questions

Post by BethelAbba » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 am

Bounced this off of Zukero in a private message, but haven't heard back from him yet. I initially offered to write dialogue based on my history in writing, but as I started to dig into various Threads and previous ideas already considered (and I tell you, that is a serious undertaking.... there is so much information in just these two threads alone .... .... that it would take me weeks just to catch myself up to speed on what's what.

That said... I realized as I was reading that I have the opportunity to invest my time in a different direction --- Translating the game into Traditional Chinese so as to bring in a new crop of players altogether. I think this actually would be the better use of time, as new players might actually be programmers with skills I lack... who might be able to take the game further than I could with my meager abilities.

I am American, published in a few newspapers and off-beat journals. My grasp of English is above average. My wife is Taiwanese, She is a teacher and fully capable of working with me towards making the game workable in this language.

My real question here is --- does doing translation work only involve dialogue / items / button choices... or does it likewise involve the programming language and re-constructing the game in Chinese? I could do the former easily enough with simple cut & paste of necessary changes WHERE necessary (I'm guessing here.... I've never done anything more than basic HTML in my life) but I doubt I could re-write the program into Chinese if that is what is it comes down to.

Answer that question --- and point me to a YouTube video that gives a basic understanding of what this would entail... if it's simply cut & paste.

I want to help... and I really think working the game into Chinese would be the better use of time....

Thoughts?
Vals - Lvl:54, XP:2877967, HP:132, AC:189%, AD:31-35, ECC:31%, CM:4.5, BC:110%, DR:2, BM Pot used: 590, Most Kills: Str Maonit Trl:962
Gold:158,875 | No extraordinary items :cry:
WA: 1, HH: 1, MC: 2, BC: 2, CS: 2, IF: 2, Re: 2, MF: 1, DP: 1, SP: 1

DanielS
android_version: 5.1

Re: Translation questions

Post by DanielS » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:19 pm

If you want translate Andor's Trail, see this web; log in and enjoy :).
There are two tabs: "game content" which contains dialogues, name of items, monsters etc. and "user interface" which contains GUI.

rijackson741
android_version: 6.0

Re: Translation questions

Post by rijackson741 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 am

BethelAbba wrote:Bounced this off of Zukero in a private message, but haven't heard back from him yet.
I happen to know he's rather busy right now, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
BethelAbba wrote:I initially offered to write dialogue based on my history in writing
There is a bit more to writing the dialogue than just writing. The dialogue has a specific structure, which is tied into the structure of the quest log. It's more like writing a play than prose, but of course good writing skills are a big plus for doing this. I personally think the hardest thing is coming up with the structure of the quest, and from there the structure of the quest dialogue and the structure of the quest log. But that's probably because although I'm also quite good at writing, it's all technical stuff. The problem I have with "creative writing" is mostly the "creative" bit, not the "writing" bit (which is not to say that my writing is that great, just that, like you, it's better than average).
BethelAbba wrote:My wife is Taiwanese, She is a teacher and fully capable of working with me towards making the game workable in this language.
My wife is from mainland China (Chengdu). If I volunteered her for a project like this, it would have consequences. I don't think they would be good ones :D
BethelAbba wrote:My real question here is --- does doing translation work only involve dialogue / items / button choices... or does it likewise involve the programming language and re-constructing the game in Chinese?
No programming is involved. There is more information about translations, and all other aspects relating to contributing to AT, here: http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4560
BethelAbba wrote:Thoughts?
Be careful what you volunteer your significant other for? :D
Level: 64, XP: 4734786, HP: 196, AC: 246%, AD: 49-59, AP: 3, ECC: 25%, CM: 3, BC: 127%, DR: 2
Gold: 232355 | RoLS: 1, RoL: 1, GoW: 1
HH: 1, CS: 2, IF: 4, Ev: 3, Re: 2, WP:DA: 1, WP:1S: 1, AP:L: 1, FS:DW: 2, S:DW: 1
SR