Critical hit skill vs Effective critical chance, and others

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Critical hit skill vs Effective critical chance, and others

Post by rijackson741 »

Could someone please explain to me how critical hit skill is related to effective critical chance. I searched the forums, but could only find vague answers like "one is just a number, the other is the chance of getting a critical hit", which I already figured out for myself. I found the formula for the relationship between attack chance and the actual chance of landing an attack (a non-linear function based on atan), and I assume there is also some non-linear formula that relates critical hit skill to effective critical chance, but what is it? It is also not clear to me how critical hit chance and multipliers work with dual wield. Do I get two hits, each with a critical hit chance and multiplier determined independently for each weapon, or is the chance combined, and the multiplier independent, or what? As far as I can figure out, the chance is the combined chance (either chance of primary + 50% chance of secondary, or chance of primary + chance of secondary, depending on Dual wield skill level), but I can't figure out how the multipliers work.

Also, how does chance to flee work? I can get a skill (evasion) that reduces the chance of failed flee attempts by 5%, but 5% relative to what base chance? Evasion also reduces the chance that an adjacent monster will attack by 5%, but again, 5% relative to what?

Thanks in advance for any help (the criticals question is the most important one to me right now; I'm trying to figure out the best option for a second weapon with fighting style Dual wield, assuming a monster is not immune to critical hits, the first weapon is Dagger of the Shadow priests, and that I have two levels in fighting style Dual wield. Flagstone's Pride is not an option, because I sold it before Dual wield was an option :cry:)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
jlhromeo
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Critical hit skill vs Effective critical chance, and oth

Post by jlhromeo »

I believe some of what you are asking is found here:

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... it+formula

The formulas and other crit info are there, if that doesn't answer your questions feel free to fire away. :)

I also hear it is better to increase the crit % instead of raising the multiplier via skills. More Criticals is preferred over Better Criticals.
Heeeeeey you guys!
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

About evasion skill:
-there is base 20% chance that flee attemp fail, so with evasion 4 you suggest all the time.
-any monster next to you have 15% bace chance for first attack in every round. With evasion 3 you can stay forever next to unmobilised monster. However monster got first attack tooif they try to move your square.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Thanks jlhromeo and Sarumar. That's exactly the information I was looking for. If possible could you confirm two things for me though:

1) When calculating ECC it is rounded down to the nearest integer, which means the document nyktos linked to is not quite correct. I currently have a CS of 41 and an ECC of 23%, which is rounded down from 23.6%. The document nyktos linked to shows 24%.

2) In dual wield, when I get a critical hit the damage from both weapons is added (how much of the damage from the second weapon depends on the level of the Dual Wield skill), and then that damage is multiplied by the critical multiplier. In other words, the second weapon gets the benefit of the critical hit even if it does not have any criticals itself.

The answer to the first question is not going to change any decision I would make, I just like things to be right :geek:

The answer to the second question would make a big difference to how I would proceed though. I currently have the DoSP in my main hand. So the most I can increase my CS by adding another weapon in the off-hand is 10. That would only increase my ECC to 26 (or possibly 27). That's not much of a benefit, because there are no such weapons that also do a lot of damage. A better option is probably to get the Woodcutter's hatchet. The attack cost of 6 doesn't matter if I have two levels of Dual wield. Then I get an additional 6-12 damage every hit, and (assuming I am right in (2) above) an additional 18-36 damage ( :evil: ) when I get a critical hit. Either that, or the balanced steel sword to increase my attack chance.

Any comments from the more experienced?
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

I'm not very experienced but this...
Skill description from the game wrote:With two levels of this skill [...] the attack speed equals the highest of the attacks speeds of the two equipped weapons.
...would seem to indicate that wielding the DotSP and the Woodcutter's Hatchet would make your attack cost be 6AP (6AP is higher than 4AP).
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

fiernaq wrote:I'm not very experienced but this...
Skill description from the game wrote:With two levels of this skill [...] the attack speed equals the highest of the attacks speeds of the two equipped weapons.
...would seem to indicate that wielding the DotSP and the Woodcutter's Hatchet would make your attack cost be 6AP (6AP is higher than 4AP).
I think higher speed is the same as lower attack cost. I also assume that the Jewel of Fallhaven takes effect after that determination is made. So the higher speed / lower cost would be 4AP, which would then be reduced to 3AP.

Could someone with more experience or knowledge please comment on the validity of the increasing number of assumptions :)
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Fighting Style: Dual Wield Level 2 & The JoF

Weapons: DoTSP - AP 3 & W. Hatchet - AP 5

the attack cost would be 5 AP
Last edited by nyktos on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the math
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Thanks for the answer. So if I have this right, JoF acts on both DoTSP and W. Hatchet, and then you pick the higher cost. Right? Presumably with 1 level of Dual wield the JoF acts on both weapons, and then it's weapon1_cost+weapon2_cost/2.

IMHO, if that's the case then the description of the Dual wield skill is misleading (even wrong). It should say "With two levels of this skill ... the attack cost equals the higher of the attack costs of the two equipped weapons", because the higher the attack cost, the lower the attack speed.

Does the critical multiplier apply to the damage from the off hand weapon (so add base damage and damage from all equipment, including the off-hand weapon, and then multiply by the critical multiplier)?

I'm really glad I asked this question though, because it looks like I will have to change direction. Now I really wish I hadn't sold Flagstone's pride :cry: :cry:
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

rijackson741 wrote:Thanks for the answer. So if I have this right, JoF acts on both DoTSP and W. Hatchet, and then you pick the higher cost. Right? Presumably with 1 level of Dual wield the JoF acts on both weapons, and then it's weapon1_cost+weapon2_cost/2.

IMHO, if that's the case then the description of the Dual wield skill is misleading (even wrong). It should say "With two levels of this skill ... the attack cost equals the higher of the attack costs of the two equipped weapons", because the higher the attack cost, the lower the attack speed.

Does the critical multiplier apply to the damage from the off hand weapon (so add base damage and damage from all equipment, including the off-hand weapon, and then multiply by the critical multiplier)?

I'm really glad I asked this question though, because it looks like I will have to change direction. Now I really wish I hadn't sold Flagstone's pride :cry: :cry:
hmm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

OK. I guess it does say that attack speed is AP cost. That obviously didn't register in my brain. The idea that the higher the cost of a move or attack is, the higher the speed, seems kind of backwards to me. It does say that in the first paragraph though.

As an aside, I've decided to go dual wield anyway. Maybe it's not quite as good as I first thought, but I think with the right gear it could still be a way to get a very powerful build. Especially given your information abut Evasion :)
Last edited by rijackson741 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.