Does anybody have a Google Nexus 7?

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Does anybody have a Google Nexus 7?

Post by Antison »

My wife wants a tablet for x-mas and keeps taking about the Kindle HD Fire.
After research of tablets in our price range, I have decided on Nexus 7 over the Galaxy Tab 2 7".
I have successfully gotten her mind off the Fire (sorry Pryzzile) and now I am wondering what owners of the Nexus think of it.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Re: Does anybody have a Google Nexus 7?

Post by Mino »

I have one, and have been very happy with it. I got the 8GB version which had now been replaced by the 16GB at the starting price point.

The main complaint I've read about it is the lack of expandable storage but if you're willing to root (it's pretty easy, there's a toolkit you can download that walks you through it) you can use an app called stick mount and an OTG cable to connect a USB drive.

The only way I'd recommend the Fire HD is if you have an Amazon prime account.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

I have one and I am fairly sure Oskar has one too.
I have a 16gig version from before the price drop, but that is the cost of early adoption.
I have found that the nexus 7 fits in the breast pocket or back pocket of your jeans so I take it out and about way more than my girlfriend takes her ipad.
I use it a lot for second screen stuff, media consumption, and reading. I also really like the stock Android experience.
Konizooka
android_version: 4.0

Post by Konizooka »

I was using the Nexus 7, 16GB for quite a while, when it was hot in the market. Comparing it with my boyfriend's SGTab 2, I always found it had a slight upper hand. I'll list a quick pros and cons here, hope this helps u make up ur mind.
Pros:
1. Although SG claims to have a better screen, Nexus has an amazing screen, and its flawless even in direct sunlight, with max brightness.
2. The processor speed was extremely good, and if she's into multi-tasking (or gaming), she should be more than happy with it.
3. The screen is rele tough and well-protected (compared to SG Tabs, which have quite a flimsy screen)
4. Software updates are quite regular and up-to-date.
5. Battery life is very good, considering its a quad-core. Even continuous activity with the phone should give arnd 10 hr of life.

Cons:
1. No expandable slot (though not rele a con, u can use dropbox or skydrive)
2. Voice clarity and quality is quite low, so it becomes quite irritating without headphones.
3. No voice-calling
4. No secondary camera, again which isn't much of a loss.
When everyone is against you, there's always the Shadow standing with you.Image
Antison

Post by Antison »

I bought her one, but she has to wait until Christmas to play with it. :)
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

tek wrote:...I have successfully gotten her mind off the Fire (sorry Pryzzile)...
blasphemy!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------