v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Why Is This Called a Roguelike?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Net
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Why Is This Called a Roguelike?

Post by Net »

I started playing this game a few days ago, and I have one question. Besides the battle system, Andor's Trail doesn't seem any different than a normal RPG, so why are we calling it a roguelike? Characters require some planning, but there doesn't otherwise seem to be a lot of skill involved. There is no permadeath and the only penalty for dying can (eventually) be cancelled out with perks. There aren't any traps, at least not in the first few dungeons, and enemies are usually pretty straight-forward. Gameplay seems more reliant on monster drops than simply "finding" good equipment. There even seems to be a pretty heavy grind, which I'm not accustomed to seeing in any game that proclaims to be a roguelike.

Basically, how is this really any different from playing something like Fallout 1? Most every RPG has dungeons, but not every dungeon-crawler is a roguelike.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention the on-the-spot save feature. Isn't this, at best, a roguelite?
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Why Is This Called a Roguelike?

Post by ctnbeh13 »

While this is probably a question specifically for the author to field, I did find a lot of variance in what is considered roguelike, by different websites, groups, and organizations.

Thanks for submitting such a question, as the search to better understand the variance in interpretation yielded a handful of sites that Andor's Trail should probably be introduced to. ;)
One of even fewer...
Net

Post by Net »

ctnbeh13 wrote:While this is probably a question specifically for the author to field, I did find a lot of variance in what is considered roguelike, by different websites, groups, and organizations.

Thanks for submitting such a question, as the search to better understand the variance in interpretation yielded a handful of sites that Andor's Trail should probably be introduced to. ;)
Heh, if I looked at other websites before making my post I would have been able to come up with a lot more reasons as to why I don't think this is a roguelike. After reading some of the entry for it on wikipedia, I found out that the term "roguelike" can have different interpretations. The one that most closely fits what I think of when I hear "roguelike" is the "Berlin interpretation".

What I originally thought of when writing the post was roguelike games I had played, most specifically Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS version). In comparison, you can see why I don't think Andor's Trail fits the description. Dungeons are static, death is a small setback, most of the game takes place above-ground, you can easily flee any fight that doesn't kill you in one hit, you can save anywhere, and there's more emphasis on weapons and armor rather than items such as scrolls or magic staffs.

The thing is, I'm still at the beginning of the game. That's why I came to the forums. Does Andor's Trail get more similar to a roguelike later in the game, somehow? Even modern "roguelike" games tend to at least have randomized dungeons and faster start-ups. Upon doing a forum search here, though, no one seems to have questioned this.
valshaq
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by valshaq »

Andor's Trail does not have permanent death and no random dungeons. I think the main rogue-likeness is that it depends on stats you can improve heavily while playing.
I don't think it matters that much, though. Andor's Trail is a great game. :)
ValShaq 2014-02-10
Lvl: 38 XP: 1026607 AP: 12/2 HP: 91 AC: 233% AD: 23-31 BC: 64% DR: 2 Skills: IF: 2 Reg: 1 WP: 1 CE: 1 CS: 2 DG: 1 DP: 1 SP: 1 EV: 1
Eq: QSD, Wood Def, JoF, Lw chnm, Cr ir h, Vn's R, RoP, Hvy pl gl, Wdc b
fiernaq

Post by fiernaq »

Coming from roguelike games like ADOM and NetHack, I can see your point. I wouldn't consider AT to be a roguelike game. RPG, certainly, but not roguelike.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Flaming
android_version: 8.0

Post by Flaming »

AT is more of an RPG than a rouge like. No permadeath, no substantial penalty, and fully negatable losses.

For this game to be a rouge like it would have to get rid of failure mastery, have equipment loss or die altogether.
RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0