v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

(IT'S ALIVE) Inv Equipment Favorites & Quick Presets

Discussions of the development process of the game.
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Re: (Added Pictures) Inv Equipment Favorites & Quick Presets

Post by twirlimp »

Edit: I'm thinking I'll add tiny buttons next to soem buttons instead of being long-clickable.
The main preset-switcher button (that has the shield) will have small button for loading the preset list,
and in the preset list each preset-title would have a small pencil & cross button for editing the name & deleting.

Essentially like this for the first two photos, and maybe the third submenu I'll remove completely.
device-ewrdfwer2016-01-13-012245.png
devicesaEfrSAED-2016-01-13-012356.png
deviarfce-2016-01-13-012548.png
Pre-edit response.
Zukero wrote:Making presets would be way easier if it just saved the currently equipped set, instead of assigning items to it. That would also help in making unarmed/unarmored presets.
Then, in the inventory, when you press the Preset button, you get three buttons below (like what replaces the stat boxes): save Preset, load Preset, delete Preset. All of them pop up a box similar to the load/save game one, for Preset selection.
The reason I made it "assign" instead of save the currently equipped items is that so people can add non- equipable items. It's a hybrid between a "favorites" sorting mechanism and a preset loader.

If add more buttons, then I'm afraid the inventory would become too cluttered. It's already too cluttered on the smaller screens I tried it on.
Zukero wrote: Long presses and other of its kind are not user friendly, and hard to discover. I don't like them. Actually, it took me a while to discover that long presses allow to target a different mob.
I don't mind adding more buttons but I think that would be too much clutter.

Currently the long presses just add new functionality in the inventory and are not essential to accomplish anything essential.
If you don't long press, all you're losing is the ability to switch quickly to items list instead of using the drop down menu, and the preset names would stay assigned to default names.

As for toolbox icon, i think it's doable that it pops up a small menu instead of having to long-press. But in the inventory I prefer that the long-presses stay or else I'll have to add -- at least-- one or two permanent buttons.

I'll see if I can add simple save/load/delete buttons whilst keeping the other functionalities.

Also, The buttons that I added all have a white-grey back ground and are all long-clickable for further options/functionality.
How about I just add a small "?" button that suggests that all white buttons are long-clickable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by twirlimp on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ideas plox
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

twirlimp wrote:I don't mind adding more buttons but I think that would be too much clutter.
Perhaps there could be a preference to add or remove this capability. so that large screens can have it, but small screens can disable it.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
twirlimp wrote:I don't mind adding more buttons but I think that would be too much clutter.
Perhaps there could be a preference to add or remove this capability. so that large screens can have it, but small screens can disable it.
I updated the previous post with pictures for a different idea.

It's more user friendly, although personally it seems clunky and I don't know where to put the AP cost yet (probably remove it).

What do you think?
ideas plox
Nick

Post by Nick »

twirlimp wrote:It's more user friendly, although personally it seems clunky and I don't know where to put the AP cost yet (probably remove it).
I think removing the AP cost here would be fine, except the case when this is being used in combat, So on second thought AP cost probably should be there. where you have it currently looks good.

I would prefer long clicking to edit the names, but this is probably better for the majority of users.
twirlimp wrote:and maybe the third submenu I'll remove completely
Add as a preference maybe? If you remove it that's fine, but I would like to use it that way.

Overall I'm really liking what you are doing. :)
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Duplicate post.... Sigh.
Last edited by twirlimp on Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
twirlimp wrote:It's more user friendly, although personally it seems clunky and I don't know where to put the AP cost yet (probably remove it).
I think removing the AP cost here would be fine, except the case when this is being used in combat, So on second thought AP cost probably should be there. where you have it currently looks good.

I would prefer long clicking to edit the names, but this is probably better for the majority of users.
twirlimp wrote:and maybe the third submenu I'll remove completely
Add as a preference maybe? If you remove it that's fine, but I would like to use it that way.

Overall I'm really liking what you are doing. :)
I'll add the new one and keep the old as a preference.

But the code will be getting ugly with an "if this do that or do this" about a dozen times. :P
Oh well.

I still think we should keep long-presses and add a help button for new users... XD

I dunno I might start with the help button and add the fancy user-friendly thingies later.
ideas plox
Nick

Post by Nick »

twirlimp wrote:I still think we should keep long-presses and add a help button for new users... XD
It should be added to the HELP content under ABOUT/HELP Since this would be a good central place for any user to go to if they have basic UI questions.
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Nick wrote:
twirlimp wrote:I still think we should keep long-presses and add a help button for new users... XD
It should be added to the HELP content under ABOUT/HELP Since this would be a good central place for any user to go to if they have basic UI questions.
Ok so maybe I'll add an "inventory" tab to the help section?

But I don't know, if it's so far away then it would actually become user unfriendly, since if someone is going to have trouble discovering a long-press than maybe he wouldn't be bothered with reading the help either (considering that the long-press for the combat is found in the help section).
ideas plox
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

A favorites selection can be nice, but should be added as such, not as a hack of the presets. All items would get the "Add to favorites" long press action instead of assign to preset., and presets handled elsewhere.

As for the buttons, I don't want to add any, just replace your "Preset #x" ones (those that replace the stat boxes) by load/save/del ones.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:A favorites selection can be nice, but should be added as such, not as a hack of the presets. All items would get the "Add to favorites" long press action instead of assign to preset., and presets handled elsewhere.

As for the buttons, I don't want to add any, just replace your "Preset #x" ones (those that replace the stat boxes) by load/save/del ones.
Ok so I'll replace the buttons with load/save/del which are accessed by pressing the main shield button. But how do you propose they switch selections? Should the save/load button open a separate menu to choose a preset name? That would work.

I could also add the feature of making as many presets as they like, if it's going to be handled this way. They enter a preferred name and it's saved.

So first thing I'm going to do, like you said, is change the name of "assign to preset" to "assign to favorite" and remove the option to equip the favorites list.
But then there would be no option to rename the three favorites lists...

So yeah, presets aside, would you rather there be only one favorites list?
ideas plox