v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Post by Zukero »

Two things:
- Some existing chasing enemies will track you down on the whole map (some late-game bats for example)
- We could make some enemies immune to ranged attacks. I'd even say this could be the default.

I realize that both of these seem to imply that I want to integrate ranged weapons in AT, but really, so far, I don't.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Zukero wrote:Two things:
- Some existing chasing enemies will track you down on the whole map (some late-game bats for example)
- We could make some enemies immune to ranged attacks. I'd even say this could be the default.

I realize that both of these seem to imply that I want to integrate ranged weapons in AT, but really, so far, I don't.
Are the bats given whole-map spawn areas, or does the code allow them to move more freely?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i think i speak for everyone when i say "we just don't have time for this." [yet]

we want an update to happen soon,
this is something that can't happen until we make more progress.

even if it is something we want, it's a novel idea...
but making it work nicely is a process.

it would make the whole game feel strange.
let's get it working properly first?
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

nyktos wrote:let's get it working properly first?
Thumbs up to that :)
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

Tomcat wrote: You could add a monster attribute, similar to whether they move to mob you during combat, whether they are liable to flee.
You could set a threshold of remaining HP percent, at which point they try to run away.

This is exactly what was done in this experiment, and there's also an attribute for their vision range, so if attacked from too far away they'd also flee.
Tomcat wrote: A nice twist could be that inflicting the actor condition Fear could cause such a monster to flee automatically, also, regardless of HP.
This can definitely be done, since I added a monster attribute for "scaredy monsters" that flee when attacked.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:
Voom wrote:I would love to see it in the first AT,
Ranged weapons, or fleeing monsters?
Ranged weapons would fundamentally change the game. Every map currently has safe places to stand. In some maps they are only where you switch maps. but in other maps there are more such places. Ranged weapons would allow you to stand in such places and kill anything that came into range with complete impunity. That's why twirlimp made it so that monsters can chase you. However, that applies to all attacks, which makes fleeing impossible (unless you manage to flee to another map). I am against any change that would so fundamentally change combat, and thereby possibly nerf a lot of players builds.
100%

That's the main reason why I dropped the experiment after adding continuous nerfs to it (such as monsters fleeing if you are more than X tiles away when you attack them).
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Zukero wrote:Two things:

Yup this a known bug and also happens in the starting town's forest bees.
ideas plox
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

twirlimp wrote:
Zukero wrote:Some existing chasing enemies will track you down on the whole map (some late-game bats for example)
Maybe I misunderstand, but the bats chasing you is not a bug, it's by design. You can set the monster movement type.

Which forest bees do you mean? Do you mean the forest wasps? They shouldn't chase you, because they have no specific movement type.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:
twirlimp wrote:
Zukero wrote:Some existing chasing enemies will track you down on the whole map (some late-game bats for example)
Maybe I misunderstand, but the bats chasing you is not a bug, it's by design. You can set the monster movement type.

Which forest bees do you mean? Do you mean the forest wasps? They shouldn't chase you, because they have no specific movement type.
It's a bug present in my own "experiment" -- that's what Zukero was referring to in his post :P

The monster chasing/fleeing behaviour introduced some bugs of its own, which is what he was pointing out.
ideas plox
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

So I did misunderstand :lol: