v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Translation in french

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Duvalon
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Translation in french

Post by Duvalon »

Thought I'd report on my progress with the French translation: I've gone through all the exceptions and fixed over 300 of them. Many were just punctuation, but I found several strings in there that read like google translations and made no grammatical sense. Many were copies of English (like enemy and NPC names) and even one string was in Spanish. I've also made some new translations but that's been going slowly. The percent completed climbed a few digits but remains under 70%.

I really hope to complete it before the next release; with about 2000 strings left to translate however, I may need some help. I think we should concentrate on finishing the non-translated strings so it can be included in the game and we can play through in French. We can then tackle typos and other errors, and finally maybe change some names so they are easier to pronounce in French.

On that subject, is it possible to play using a different language rather than the default system one? My phone is in English and I could only find a check box to use translated content without being able to choose the language. I assume I'm not the only one...
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

What do you think of "Encreau" for Blackwater?
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

Getting through some more translation, slowly but surely. Up to 72% done and fewer than 1800 of strings left.

I'd like to start a new game to explore different portion of the game like making different choices. But also start it in French so I can see if things make sense. I'll look at adding a setting to allow choosing a language instead of being bound to the system language.

Zukero, how can I go about syncing my repository with the weblate translations?

Where did everyone go anyway? PomCompote, Arkatoo, Tomcat?
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

PomCompot last logged in Sep 25. Arkatoo last logged in Sep 04. Tomccat last logged in Sep 27, but has had private communication with the development team since then, so he's around. PomCompot and Arkatoo may still be around too. They don't need to log in if all they want is to read the latest posts.

Edit: maybe you could PM them. It would be nice to have the French translation done for the next release, and it's close enough that if there were three people working on it that would be very doable.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

@Duvalon if you didn't translate directly on weblate, I'd need to know more about your workflow to help. You can PM me with details (in French if you prefer).
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

As I told Duvalon in PM, my French is not good enough to be reliable translation help. I guess I poked my nose into a question or two awhile back, but I should really stay in my lane..
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

I'm looking at the title translation and it's leaving me a "meh" feeling: La Piste d'Andor. It makes me think more of a detective mystery type game then a fantasy RPG. I feel like Andor's Trail has a more adventure feel to it. Maybe because "trail" also means "sentier" which is more of an in-the-woods adventurey word. I thought of a few alternatives but haven't yet found the one. I'd definitely appreciate some preferences or new ideas from the French speaking folks (most of which seem to have vanished unfortunately...)

À la poursuite d'Andor
À la recherche d'Andor
Sur les pas d'Andor
Sur le chemin d'Andor
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I agree this is a poor translation. Back in the days, I cringed when this translation was introduced, and there was no "return to English" preference.
A la poursuite d'Andor reminds me of the movie "A la poursuite du diamant vert", so I'm not fond of it.
Maybe keeping the untranslated Andor's Trail would be a good idea. But then again, I'm very comfortable with English, so it may not be that good.

How about:
Sur les traces d'Andor
L'aventure d'Andor
Retrouvez Andor
Vers Andor
Andor - La poursuite
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

"L'aventure d'Andor" is misleading as the main character isn't Andor. "Vers Andor" sounds like Andor is a city or a place rather than a person. And "Andor - La poursuite" sounds like a sequel... maybe for Andor's Trail 2 ;)

I'm leaning towards a "Sur ... d'Andor."
Duvalon
VIP

Post by Duvalon »

Totally unrelated: what is "localize_recursos_de_mo_nomedoarquivo"? Context: localize_resources_from_mo_filename. The current suggestion is "fr.mo" but apparently needs review. No clue...