Start to RoLS Walkthrough

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
RedOblivion
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Start to RoLS Walkthrough

Post by RedOblivion »

Part 5–Expensive Beds, Dam Avoidance, and … RoLS farming already!? [Nope]
Now it's time to take care of some things in Brimhaven. Have at least 3,306 gold before you set out from the Crossroads Guardhouse map. If you're more than halfway to a level up, I recommend grinding until you level up as there will be a part that may take a few deaths to get past. You can do the meat run to grind this level and acquire some more gold in the process, as you’ll need even more gold in the future.

First, to Loneford:
  • The 600 for the Loneford bed is steep, but worth it, so definitely unlock it and rest in it once as you're coming across the spot where you may die a few times attempting to get past
To Loneford.jpg
In Brimhaven:
  • Buy and equip in your off-hand a Trident dagger from Truric
  • Take off your Fine green hat and go down to the tailor shop and ask the lady to improve it
    • It now has the useful damage resistance attribute
    • Re-equip it
To Brimhaven.jpg
There's a lot to do in Brimhaven, but remember our goal: get leveled up and geared up to farm RoLSs, so for now, leave Brimhaven back the way you came from and return to the Crossroads Guardhouse map

Now, we need to get to lv 20. There are a couple ways to do so. My preferred method is to grind on the Gargoyles, Shadow gargoyle trainers, and Shadow gargoyle masters in the RoLS cave. The route:
RoLS Cave Grind to Lv 20.jpg
  • Tips for this level-up spot:
    • Don't engage anything if you have less than 10 HP
    • Don't engage any Shadow gargoyle trainers or masters if you have less than 20 HP
      • You usually won't reach the Shadow gargoyle trainers or masters before getting low on HP and that's okay-kill, get low, return to the Foaming Flask Tavern to heal, repeat
    • Try to avoid using the potions you'll be getting from killing here-they'll be good to have for the future
    • But, if you get down to less than 10 HP and think you can't avoid a fight as you're returning back to the Foaming Flask Tavern to heal, use a potion to heal up a bit so you don't die as our primary goal right now is exp and leveling up
Alternatively, you can grind in Irogotu’s cave, but you won't get as much gold as my preferred method and may need to farm some meat when it comes time to buy Bonemeal potions.

Gear check-in:
  • Enhanced green hat
  • Villain’s leather armor
  • Irogotu's necklace
  • Balanced steel sword main-hand
  • Trident dagger off-hand
  • 2x Villain's ring
  • Troublemaker's gloves
  • Kid's boots

See you at lv 20!

Andor’s Trail map images source: Andor’s Trail Directory Github: https://andorstrail-directory.github.io/map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RedOblivion

Post by RedOblivion »

Part 6–Of Mazes and Madmen
Okay so now you're lv 20. Time to get our final 2 pieces needed to farm RoLS effectively and efficiently.

Head back to Fallhaven and to the Thieves’ Guild.

Quest progression:
  • Talk to Umar in the SE of the Thieves’ Guild
    • Make sure to say “Tell me more about what Andor asked for.” and continue the conversation until you can ask “How do I get to Vilegard?” and then you can leave him
Before leaving Fallhaven:
  • Purchase at least 150 Bonemeal potions from the priest Thoronir
    • Remember: merchant inventories reset when you rest
  • Save often now as you might get surprise searched while walking around and lose all these potions. Reload if that happens. If you're on a 1-save file like I am, you might want to consider getting these after the next step when you're heading to the maze
To Vilegard and who we need there:
To Vilegard.jpg
  • Talk to Ogam until you get an update to the quest “A lost potion”
    • Now you can enter the maze where we'll get the best armor in the game
To the Green Maze:
  • Go back to the rock formation
    • Examine it more closely, and behind it is the entrance to the maze
  • Talk to the man blocking the path to the maze and tell him the correct password
  • Now our goal is to defeat the Zortak Leader who drops the armor we're looking for
    • You can attempt to get to him yourself, or click on the next spoiler tag for a visual guide to him
To Zortak Leader.jpg
  • Tips traversing the Maze:
    • Make sure to use Bonemeal potions liberally, like around 20-25 HP; you don't wanna die and have to restart the maze
      • While fighting the Zortak Leader, don't drop below 35 HP before using a Bonemeal potion
    • You're probably lv 21 by the time you reach and kill the Zortak Leader. Now that we have the Serpent's hauberk, it's time for the most difficult part: the Blade of the defiler
Andor’s Trail map images source: Andor’s Trail Directory Github: https://andorstrail-directory.github.io/map
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RedOblivion on Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedOblivion

Post by RedOblivion »

Part 7–Adding to your Specimen Collection
Leave the maze in your preferred method. If I just recently leveled up, I like to fight in the area without healing and until I die. Remember: save often!
Now, we’re heading to Charwood. If you know how to get there already, head there now.

Visual guide to our first destination:
To Charwood House.jpg
Inventory check-in:
  • 100+ Bonemeal potions
  • 25+ Regular healing potions
  • Quest items
Quest content:
  • Talk to Maevalia once you reach the house
    • Tell her you’ll help her find her missing people
  • Go East and find all the missing people
  • Guide on where they are:
Charwood Missing Persons.jpg
  • Return to Maevalia and let her know you found everyone you could and the fates of those you didn't find alive
  • Talk to the 2 people in the basement
    • If you know you're going to specialize in something you want just for fun, ask them to teach what you want to specialize in. Otherwise: ask to be taught in daggers and light armor, which is objectively the best as both BotD and QSD are daggers and the Serpent's hauberk, a light armor, is objectively the best armor in the game. Don't use SP on these skills
  • After talking to both of the people in the basement, return to Maevalia and ask if you can rest here
  • Pick a bed and rest in it to make it your respawning point
    • This final and most difficult part may take a few tries (if you don’t want to save scum)
  • Talk to Maevalia again and say “Where do you think the monsters came from?”
  • Talk to Kantya on the West side of this room, then back to Maevalia and say “I'll go down into the Charwood mine and investigate.”
To Charwood mine! Get to the end boss if you already know how to do so. Otherwise, click this spoiler tag for a visual guide on how to get to the boss:
Charwood Mine to Boss.jpg
Tips on how to make it to the end and prevail:
  • Don't drop below 30 HP if fighting 1 creature. Not below 40 HP if fighting 2 or more creatures
  • Do your best to avoid as many creatures as possible, but some encounters will be forced double fights
    • Try to avoid accidentally getting into a 1v2 situation when it could have been avoided: opt to kill things 1 at a time instead if you can't avoid a fight
  • Heal up outside of fights with Regular healing potions to as close to full as possible. Use Bonemeal potions in combat
  • Final boss hits hard and accurately. Most likely you'll need to hit > Bonemeal pot > hit > Bonemeal until he's dead. Save before you fight him
  • Finish getting lv 23 before fighting the boss if you think you have enough Bonemeal potions to do so (have at least 20 for the boss fight), then suicide to get out quickly after killing the boss
And voilà! You now have all the necessary pieces of equipment to sustainably farm RoLSs. As mentioned way back in the beginning, here are my final tips for you on how to get your RoLSs:

Firstly, you need to understand how respawning works in Andor’s Trail. This may have been said by other people, but I first saw the forum user Samuel say it in a reply to the forum post titled “Respawn Timers”: If you do not visit a place for 3 minutes all monsters are respawned. (Source: viewtopic.php?p=580#p580). Read that forum reply for more information about it, but I quoted the most important part about it: if you don’t visit a map for exactly 3 minutes, everything in that map will respawn. I’ve tested it myself and another important part about this 3-minute rule: you don’t even need to have the game open! The 3 minutes begins as you exit a map and is tracked internally in the game, whether it’s running or not, whether or not you are in combat or have your menu, inventory, quest log, etc. open.

So, with that knowledge, what I am doing is I’ve made 5 characters (my main + the 4 characters I made while playtesting this walkthrough). Why 5 characters? Killing all Shadow gargoyle trainers and Shadow gargoyle masters and parking my character just outside of the first Shadow gargoyle room takes approximately 45 seconds. I’m rotating between my 5 characters and by the time I finish my 5th character’s run, my first character’s Shadow gargoyle enemies have respawned and I can restart the cycle with fully-respawned rooms. Whichever character first gets a RoLS I’ll stick with and maybe do some of the tips and tricks mentioned in other posts for RoLS farming. My lv 23 characters still sometimes get bodied by unlucky crits by the enemy and I die, but it’s rare and that stops happening within a few levels so the farm is still pretty efficient. BUT this is not the fastest method to acquire a RoLS.
Antison wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:24 am In my opinion, the best way to grind for that ring is to clear the map and reload. Hit the gargoyle trainers and Masters enough so that the next hit would kill them and then flee. Do that for every monster on the map and then save. One hit kill them. If you don't get the ring then reload your save. Rinse and repeat until you find your ring. Much much, much faster and you don't need to be burning through healing items. And in my opinion, the best part of this approach besides the quickness of it is that you don't overpower yourself by gaining all of that XP
I agree with Antison here, but I want to gain exp and level up for the rest of the game. Since you reload, you don't permanently gain that exp. Also, this doesn't work on 1-save file characters, which all of my characters are.

And that’s it! Thank you for reading my walkthrough and good luck, adventurer!

Last edited by RedOblivion on Mon May 13, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedOblivion

Post by RedOblivion »

Antison wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:24 am There's very little generic help, so anybody that's reading this, please take it with a grain of salt.
It was missing parts 2-7, which have a bit more help, albeit still specific and not generic help, as this is not a generic walkthrough for the game but a specific aspect of it for which I found info lacking in other posts about it. Just trying to contribute to overall knowledge and support for the game :)
Ogersmash72
android_version: 2.0

Post by Ogersmash72 »

OK at what level due I farm further rings??

How long due I grind before I start to get a ring.
Last edited by Antison on Wed May 08, 2024 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged posts. Please avoid posting back-to-back
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Oger,

Do as you wish. This walkthrough is just one person's opinion.
Ogersmash72 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 am How long due I grind before I start to get a ring.
It's all about luck. viewtopic.php?t=703
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
RedOblivion

Post by RedOblivion »

Ogersmash72 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:30 am OK at what level due I farm further rings??

How long due I grind before I start to get a ring.
What Antison said! Whenever you feel like farming it, go for it. I made this walkthrough for what I feel like is the fastest method from a fresh character to self-sustaining RoLS farming (mainly, the gear). If anyone reading this thinks they have a faster method for acquiring the gear needed to self-sustainably farm RoLS, I would love to have a chat with you via PMs about it!
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

The fastest way to gaining the ring is to hit the trainers and the Masters and drain their HP down to the point that the next successful hit would kill them. At that point flee the fight and save. Repeat for every monster on the map and then save. Now you've got to save file full of monsters that you can one hit kill them.
Do this and if you don't get the ring reload and try again.
This is the fastest way to gain the ring.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Of course you'll lose the XP and items from the fights. But that way you don't get overpowered by the long grinding.

I often think that this is the true strength of The Ring: just by searching for it you become so much stronger that you don't really need it anymore.
Nut
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Lam al Adie »

As a player who usually does not use potions I find the ring very useful. The regeneration it gives is a charm and I really like the boost to critical chance.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1