Poll: Save-Cheating, and discussion.

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What do you think about save-cheating?

I love it! Can't live without it.
23%
I use it now and then.
36%
I use it only in extreme situations, like boss battles.
21%
I try to never use it.
8%
I never use it.
5%
I feel a change needs to be done to discourage it.
8%

Total votes: 39

fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Poll: Save-Cheating, and discussion.

Post by fiernaq »

IMHO there should be two kinds of saves. Those that can be loaded manually by going to the menu and choosing Load and the kind that just remembers your place if you close the game or reboot your phone or drop your phone in the sink or whatever. The auto-"save" (more like auto-remember) should happen at least on every transition to a new map tile. You wouldn't be able to load this manually but at least if something happens you'll be able to open the game again and there you are, just like you left off. The manual save should only be possible at a bed and should be another option in the dialog box for rest:

Rest
Do you want to rest here?
[Rest] [Cancel]
[Save & Rest] [Save]

This would eliminate save cheating because by dying you would enter a new map tile so would be unable to recover before the death but would allow players to close AT, shut down their phone, or even suffer a dead battery and still be able to go right back to the last map tile they entered. Not sure if I explained that well enough but hopefully you're able to make sense of my ramblings.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Darkwolf
android_version: 4.0

Post by Darkwolf »

fiernaq wrote:IMHO there should be two kinds of saves. Those that can be loaded manually by going to the menu and choosing Load and the kind that just remembers your place if you close the game or reboot your phone or drop your phone in the sink or whatever. The auto-"save" (more like auto-remember) should happen at least on every transition to a new map tile. You wouldn't be able to load this manually but at least if something happens you'll be able to open the game again and there you are, just like you left off. The manual save should only be possible at a bed and should be another option in the dialog box for rest:

Rest
Do you want to rest here?
[Rest] [Cancel]
[Save & Rest] [Save]

This would eliminate save cheating because by dying you would enter a new map tile so would be unable to recover before the death but would allow players to close AT, shut down their phone, or even suffer a dead battery and still be able to go right back to the last map tile they entered. Not sure if I explained that well enough but hopefully you're able to make sense of my ramblings.
You explain well enough, but I only have a few minutes at a time sometimes.

I would probably have to quit AT if this were implemented.

For a phone game, the current system is perfect. If this were a console game, your save system would be great.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I need to speak up for save-"cheating" again because on my secondary game, where my character isn't as powerful, its been very helpful, especially against the newer monsters from the recent update.

And as others have said, and I agree, if the game allows it, its not cheating.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

Well said, Mino.

And dfor a portable game, the ability to play in small chunks is CRUCIAL. The game is difficult enough as is.
Bard

Post by Bard »

@ fiernaq and Darkwolf

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but:
This "auto remember" is nothing that has to be implemented. IT IS THERE! This is the standard behaviour. When you leave the game, no matter why or how and you restart it you do NOT have to load a save file, you can just go on.
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Bard wrote:@ fiernaq and Darkwolf

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but:
This "auto remember" is nothing that has to be implemented. IT IS THERE! This is the standard behaviour. When you leave the game, no matter why or how and you restart it you do NOT have to load a save file, you can just go on.
Absolutely right. The biggest reason that people that are against changing the save system to not allow save-cheating have to offer is that they may only play for a few minutes at a time so nothing should be changed.

The biggest problem with that logic is that the perfect solution for those using phones (the majority) is already there. All you have to do is exit the game and when you start again you can start where you left off.

A bit off topic... This right here is a problem that shows how badly we need a ton more info in the game help. If people don't even know you can exit your game and save, it tells us how little they really know about playing the game and the help they really need to get the most out of their game.

Back on topic... With the quick-saving while exiting the game out of the way, the parts of saving that encourage save-cheating are fine to be changed as long as an auto-save happens at entry into a new map section and you can save at rest points to be able to switch character saves if you want. ;)
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

As a mater of fact, the game wouldn't function without auto-save... Or would lag horribly, at least. AT runs off of the auto save, every step you take , battle you fight, item you change... Every time anything happens in the game, it updates the auto save... Because, this way, the game doesn't have to re-calculate all your stats every time, instead, they are all kept in a table which is only changed when you level up or change equipment... I played for about a week before I even thought to look for a save slot.
Usirim
android_version: 8.0

Post by Usirim »

At the moment I have 5 to 9 different Chars. To switch from one Char to another is not possible without using the savegames.
Usirim (v2.2):
Lvl: 200
XP: 145.569.369
Gold: 5.8M
RoLS: 17
ElyR: 9
RoL: 6
ChaR: 9
GoLF: 2
ShaF: 7
SRoV: 15
VSH: 7
WMC: 12
GoW: 6

Base values
HP: 1000
AC: 280
AD: 90
max AP: 10 (12)
BC: 180%
DR: 0
(Jun 2017)
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Usirim wrote:At the moment I have 5 to 9 different Chars. To switch from one Char to another is not possible without using the savegames.
Impressive.. so many builds... I am glad, becauce Im not the only one ;) I just deleted 5+ build and currently have only four...

Happy hunting
Last edited by Sarumar on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Usirim
android_version: 8.0

Post by Usirim »

Honestly, 4 of them are plain cheated to test different high level skills... :twisted:
The other (and especially my main) Char are untainted and will stay so until I will quit playing AT. Even with those Chars the amount of time spend playing is imense (for me). Sometimes I wonder how many time the level 100+ players have spent? <sign>
Usirim (v2.2):
Lvl: 200
XP: 145.569.369
Gold: 5.8M
RoLS: 17
ElyR: 9
RoL: 6
ChaR: 9
GoLF: 2
ShaF: 7
SRoV: 15
VSH: 7