v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

More Graphics

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

More Graphics

Post by Taledus »

It seems that like a lot of additional ideas that have been posted, and some of my ideas need additional graphics. Here are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head that could be added or considered if more graphics were available:

Paperdolling
Races
Classes
Sprites that actually turn in the direction they are moving
Non shared NPC enemy sprites (confusing sometimes as to what you can survive against)

There is more stuff too, a lot more honestly. And I really do not know of what is currently there that is not being used because I have not looked...I would be too tempted to mess with things.

I know a lot of what is used though is free to use material. Something as small as changing the colors for NPC's in photoshop can solve the last item listed. I've done small sprite work in the past but it is not professional for something like this...has there been any effort to get some volunteers working on creating more or editing existing sprites? There are a lot of people I am sure that can volunteer time for portfolio work...I know of a few that might be interested if I talk to them...I mentioned it in another thread but it seemed overlooked.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: More Graphics

Post by Antison »

Paperdolling :?:
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Paperdolling - if I equip a shirt, my sprite shows that it is wearing a shirt...turning the sprite turns the shirt. If I equip a full plate suit, my sprite displays a full plate, and will turn jus l;ike the shirt does. This requires full sprite sheets for each different item that programatically overlay onto the sprite so it appears that the sprite is wearing the item.

This actually goes along with having the sprite actually be able to turn...the basic sprite sheets for something like this consist of 3x4 sprites. But this game could actually just get by with the basics and have a sprite sheet with 4 sprites on it, one for each direction the char faces. The additional sprites on a 3x4 sheet are just there to add movement when the sprite is walking, and the armor/weapons are done in such a way that move along with the walking sprite.

I hope that makes sense.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Changing appearance based on equipment has been suggested before, and one poster, Gottkaiser, even created several images for different equipment. But it seemed like you'd have to create a different image for each possibility so it would still have to be somewhat generalized.

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=10
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

We are open to anyone willing to help with new graphics.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i need to remember to get an actual mouse when i am out shopping...

it's one of those things i always seem to forget!

:evil:

i just can't stand trying to use a touch pad for art...

bah - a real PC will be around eventually.

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

I have been doing a lot of thinking over the graphics the last few days, especially since my small screw up on the path edits. I really think that if things were a bit more layed out it might be easier to find people to work on additional graphics.

One thing I have been really looking at is the game style...I know, it's a "Rouge-Like" game, but what style of game since there seems to be many different styles of graphics involved here. There have been several very good styles of games that stuff can be made "similar" to...Secret of Mana...Alundra...just a few examples but the list is pretty broad. Since this is one of the more popular RPG games listed on GooglePay I thought that if it had graphics that worked better together then it would reflect on the gameplay that is currently implemented. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the current graphics...what I am saying is wrong is the various styles used together in 1 game.

As I stated in my first post there is a lot that can be done if better graphics were available. However, a lot of what could be done would really depend on the specific style of graphics involved. Would "new" graphics need to allow for paperdolling...is paperdolling going to be implemented at some point? Classes is probably never going to happen, and more than likely Races will never be implemented...but what about gender or char selection? Perhaps magic effects, or weapon animations? Character portraits for dialogs? I have looked all over the forums and the Wiki and I have yet to see anything addressed or discussed about the specific kind of graphics support that is needed for this game. Not saying that is a bad things either, but since a lot of the fundamentals of this game seem to be worked out I feel that some attention to the graphics portion would be beneficial for not only current players, but new players too.

Of course, a list of volunteers who actually do sprite work would help too. I can primarily edit, and make basic stuff...with some time on examples I might be able to come up with some useful stuff for the game...which would all depend on the certain aspects I have been discussing above - style of game. Certain things for one style do not work with others.
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

Reading this Design Outline should help answer some of your questions about the style of the game.

Can you give an example of what you mean by 'the various styles used together in one game'?

If we had the graphics available I am sure we would do quite a few of those suggestions, but not having the graphical assets to do any of those things, we make the best game we can.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

I have already read the design outline. The closest thing I can find is:
The world of Andor’s Trail is a rough place. Prefer blood, dirt, skulls and darkness over rainbow colored unicorns with flowers.
& this:
The world should be believable. Maps should look natural.
I really think that the graphics should be a bit "darker" as far as the tiles that are used go in order to being a more "rough" feel to the game. Most of the current tiles that are used work better with a more "happy" based game if that makes sense. I have came across several examples of graphics that could provide the proper environment that the story and gameplay reflect. See http://www.lostgarden.com/2006/07/more- ... phics.html

And yes, I know these are professionally done graphics. I'm not saying to use these either. What I am saying is lining the style up to be similar to this, or another style, and then getting people involved in volunteering graphics specifically for this game. Once people see the specific style that the game is going for, it would be soooo much easier to recruit people to do graphics like this for the unbelievably low price of posting their name in the credits...people love doing stuff for free for a good cause, like me...as long as it is upfront that no pay is involved, this game would already have luck finding unpaid volunteers since it is an already published game, and no one else is getting paid either.

One thing to point our is the varying characters...the main player looks similar to a chibi char, and the NPC's are a different style. They are not bad, but they do not go together. Selecting 1 style, like the chibi, or traditional 28x44 sprites would allow people to design chars for the game, and/or make them allow for paper dolling, or just having 1 template for a guy and girl char...then people could design outfits on top of them for use in the game without paperdolling being involved.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

when we are close to the final version, I will have time to devote to the graphical side of things, maybe a little before - but only here & there... not just graphics for the game buy maybe some stuff for the official site too - when it finally comes to life...

I try to keep my multitasking to a low enough level to actually get some of them done.

:D

that and having a fully functional PC will increase my output as well...

(currently back to working "phone-only" for the time being)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]